Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

Hornby hasn't done a West Country suitable for City of Wells (other than the 'proper' one) with the combination of wide cab and high sided narrow tender. 

I think this might be one reason they are sought after.

R.2542 is correct for 34092 as running between January 1958 and November 1962. Before that the loco had a 5500g tender (605 Squadron would be a suitable base) and afterwards it had its small tender modified.

Hornby has, so far, not covered this combination. The only way to get it would be to fit a Weymouth or Blandford Forum with a spare 4500g cut-down tender body.

John

I am well-pleased, just bought this from Hattons. What with Biggin Hill in Malachite with The Thanet Belle I can see several pictures of less-common Bulleids rising up...

note; edited front wheels to  show them nearer to level than original photo...

post-7929-0-82002900-1397098915.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

Of course I have had to guess the colour of the headboard for 'The Thanet Belle', having found only black and white photos, but it re-creates for me the age of optimism after WW2 where engines were sometimes cleaned for named trains, the Thanet timed for about 2 hours Victoria to Ramsgate, with 10 Pullmans, here in clean Kent Coast air...  newish Bulleid Light Pacific s21C157 making light work of the job.

This would be one of the few s/h unrebuilt Bulleids I have bought where all three lamp brackets on the front are intact and un-bent.

edit,  green with yellow lettering according to Precision Lables for the headboard...

post-7929-0-97326100-1397261285_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here's proof that Bulleids do start out as green, before I've finished with them.  :jester:

post-7000-0-99638400-1397316210_thumb.jpg

This is an exclusive sneak-peek at number 108 - it's so fresh from my workbench, the transfers are still drying!!! Yes I know Hornby do a Padstow, but it's more fun to rename and renumber - especially as Padstow's are hard to get hold of and expensive when you do find them.

• Like 6

I didn't realise 34008 Padstow was hard to find, as I have one here also.... so there at least two around, and mine will remain pristine. <g>.. 

In reply to the many who favour A4s as best Hornby models, it seems that the Sanda Kan era versions are more possibly more accurately made than some recent versions. Perhaps I shouldn't have sold my 2008 production 'Mallard' a couple of years ago?

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise 34008 Padstow was hard to find, as I have one here also.... so there at least two around, and mine will remain pristine. <g>.. 

In reply to the many who favour A4s as best Hornby models, it seems that the Sanda Kan era versions are more possibly more accurately made than some recent versions. Perhaps I shouldn't have sold my 2008 production 'Mallard' a couple of years ago?

My Padstow started out as a slightly damaged Sir Fredrick Pile, the tender (cab) roof had a large chunk out of it, won't be visible at all once she's weathered. I don't think Padstow was released in the large quantities, the earlier rebuilt's were.

The A4 is a lovely model, those lamp brackets are fragile though, they make the Air Smoothed WC & BoB's look positively sturdy!! Yes there are a number QC issues with the current crop, down the steep learning curve of the new Factory no doubt. Misaligned numbers isn't a new thing though - I have had a number of loco's like this from the Golden Era, fortunately all donors so they've been renumbered!

• RMweb Gold

I believe 34008 was the last WC pacific released.....other than the sound 34040,which is a cracking model and the first to be made with loco & tender semi- permanently coupled and which also runs well on my DC only rig.Padstow was released in 2008.

• Like 1

My Padstow started out as a slightly damaged Sir Fredrick Pile, the tender (cab) roof had a large chunk out of it, won't be visible at all once she's weathered. I don't think Padstow was released in the large quantities, the earlier rebuilt's were.

The A4 is a lovely model, those lamp brackets are fragile though, they make the Air Smoothed WC & BoB's look positively sturdy!! Yes there are a number QC issues with the current crop, down the steep learning curve of the new Factory no doubt. Misaligned numbers isn't a new thing though - I have had a number of loco's like this from the Golden Era, fortunately all donors so they've been renumbered!

Thanks, the fragility of models such as A4 and original Bulleid Pacifics with vulnerable lamp brackets was partly dealt with by the two-piece foam cradle, and latterly the plastic shroud mouldings, and remember the 'drop test' cited by Hornby quite recently as having been failed? I think that may have been also related to production delays with the GW 42/52/72XX tank engines. Overall I like the latest plastic shroud (preferably with semi-permanent couplings) most, but I've had a couple of broken-off details on those, too, B1 smokebox handles in one case was annoying because I don't have a drill for the hole for new handles, must buy one, he says, thinking out loud.

I wouldn't have it any other way, though, details there, and safely on. Equally, with the DoG models especially the RR version being cheap, I don't mind a degree of cost-saving, if it is genuine. To me the biggest thing wrong with them is/are doubts about engine noise/reliability, wiring systems and I still don't know if the poor examples experienced by some here are common or rare.

But moving back to the golden era of 2005-2009 there was this fragile model...  remember the fuss about traction on some versions with front bogie carrying too much weight, and tender wheel guards reversed on 6-wheel tender versions, also injector exhaust pipes pointing the wrong way?

The driver may be a small man at 5' 6" but he doesn't mind this thoroughbred engine for a day's work from Exmouth Junction...

photo from toboldlygo  modified by me.

post-7929-0-56234100-1397423632_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, the fragility of models such as A4 and original Bulleid Pacifics with vulnerable lamp brackets was partly dealt with by the two-piece foam cradle, and latterly the plastic shroud mouldings, and remember the 'drop test' cited by Hornby quite recently as having been failed? I think that may have been also related to production delays with the GW 42/52/72XX tank engines. Overall I like the latest plastic shroud (preferably with semi-permanent couplings) most, but I've had a couple of broken-off details on those, too, B1 smokebox handles in one case was annoying because I don't have a drill for the hole for new handles, must buy one, he says, thinking out loud.

I wouldn't have it any other way, though, details there, and safely on. Equally, with the DoG models especially the RR version being cheap, I don't mind a degree of cost-saving, if it is genuine. To me the biggest thing wrong with them is/are doubts about engine noise/reliability, wiring systems and I still don't know if the poor examples experienced by some here are common or rare.

But moving back to the golden era of 2005-2009 there was this fragile model...  remember the fuss about traction on some versions with front bogie carrying too much weight, and tender wheel guards reversed on 6-wheel tender versions, also injector exhaust pipes pointing the wrong way?

The driver may be a small man at 5' 6" but he doesn't mind this thoroughbred engine for a day's work from Exmouth Junction...

photo from toboldlygo  modified by me.

attachicon.gifT9_30719_Exmouth_Junction_last_BR_days_3a_crop1ab_r1200.jpg

Damn, you beat me to uploading it lol Thanks once again Rob.

I should point out that this one is a mongrel of sorts - the engine is a R2831 (with the injector exhaust pipes the right way round and front bogie sorted), the tender is from the first batch - it belonged to a R2713 (wide cab, with injector exhaust pipes the wrong way round and initially, questionable haulage capabilities).

Talking of pristine models, I have now bought a re-numbered re-named 34003 'Plymouth' in pristine condition, already have a factory mild-weathered version which has always been a favourite of mine... bought it because it was cheap, partly. It came from 34062 17 Squadron  still has that number on smokebox I notice... after buying it!

Which made me wonder which of the various Hornby models of the 2001-2009 Sanda Kan era might end up being rare and sough-after for people as silly as myself..  the rebuilt Bulleid Pacifics seem quite common on the s/h market and the urge to collect a number of them is far too strong! The original 'air smoothed' Bulleids are nice too,   Am I alone in my madness?  I think the lack of new models on the horizon is a little bit worrying after years of good supplies, 2002-2010-ish.

Then of course I have weakness for Black 5s and Bachmann Std 5MTs too.  But oddly, not the Peppercorn A1/2s nor Hornby A3/4s. I wonder if there is a pill for this condition? 

Toboldlygo shows what can be done with a bit of talent and skill in weathering. It is all very interesting seeing how things might turn out.

I have seen such variation in Ebay prices made by sellers; £70-ish or £150-ish for very similar...   the former for a Brit 70000 in what looked perfect nick, the latter for a 70037 Hereward the Wake, or maybe it was William Wordsworth ...? but in the latter case two high bids were made then withdrawn, by people with regular bids and no history of withdrawing bids... odd. The likelihood is that models of 2007 quality would cost over £150 retail new in 2014-5.

But enough pondering, I am about to set up sales of a few of my weathered Bachmann small locos locally.

And keep my 'best ever' Hornby models!

post-7929-0-74048100-1397685610.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Can I make a left field suggestion that the Cowans Sheldon hand crane is considered. It must be one of the longest lived models, production having started in the Triang era. Very little work indeed and I believe that the model can cut it in today's more demanding world.

post-6793-0-13621900-1397975090.jpg

While we're at it, you might also care to note that the 24 and the crane runner are also Hornby and Triang respectively.

• Like 3

Here's proof that Bulleids do start out as green, before I've finished with them.  :jester:

attachicon.gif34008_inworks.jpg

This is an exclusive sneak-peek at number 108 - it's so fresh from my workbench, the transfers are still drying!!! Yes I know Hornby do a Padstow, but it's more fun to rename and renumber - especially as Padstow's are hard to get hold of and expensive when you do find them.

Sorry, slightly O/T but would renumbering and renaming the forthcoming Hornby Okehampton to Padstow be a viable option? 

Edited by southernelectric

Talking of pristine models, I have now bought a re-numbered re-named 34003 'Plymouth' in pristine condition, already have a factory mild-weathered version which has always been a favourite of mine... bought it because it was cheap, partly. It came from 34062 17 Squadron  still has that number on smokebox I notice... after buying it!

Which made me wonder which of the various Hornby models of the 2001-2009 Sanda Kan era might end up being rare and sough-after for people as silly as myself..  the rebuilt Bulleid Pacifics seem quite common on the s/h market and the urge to collect a number of them is far too strong! The original 'air smoothed' Bulleids are nice too,   Am I alone in my madness?  I think the lack of new models on the horizon is a little bit worrying after years of good supplies, 2002-2010-ish.

Then of course I have weakness for Black 5s and Bachmann Std 5MTs too.  But oddly, not the Peppercorn A1/2s nor Hornby A3/4s. I wonder if there is a pill for this condition? 

You are not alone in your madness. I have developed a great fondness for the West Country Class in both unrebuilt and rebuilt form. As well as admiring the look of these locomotives, it's probably no coincidence that I also have a great fondness of, and connections with, the area of north Devon and north Cornwall which features many towns and villages that had WC Class locos named after them - in particular Barnstaple, Bideford, Braunton, Bude, Clovelly, Padstow, Torrington, Westward Ho. Still find it amazing that the Southern Region used to extend as far west as it did before the Western Region took over these lines in the early 1960s. The ACE is something I have a particular fascination with and would love to see the line between Barsntaple and Torrington reinstated as a heritage railway.

But I digress...

My vote would go to the Hornby R3081 NRM Flying Scotsman as the finest model Hornby has ever produced. This is the A3 class with smoke deflectors in LNER Apple Green, representing circa 2011 preservation and released as an exclusive limited edition of 1000 via the NRM shop. I own no less than 3 of these!

It was, aside from the Clan Line model that came with my VSOE DCC set, the first Hornby steam loco I had purchased for about 30 years having been away from the hobby for a very long time. I couldn't believe how wonderful this model is. Truly stunning super-detailed model and light years ahead of the Hornby model I owned in the late 1970s/early 1980s. 

It is, IMO, a truly outstanding model. I know its NRM predecessor model (R2441) is very highly regarded too. I think that NRM model came out circa 2005.

Having said that, I recently bought a Hornby Beverston Castle (which I intend to have renumbered and renamed Corfe Castle) and that is no slouch either.

• Like 1

As good as the A3s and A4s might be they are still compromised by the need to make them go round corners.

Plus further compromises with the valve gear of course and they can never be regarded as being as good as the best 0-6-0s.

Nowt to do with opinion.

Just pure engineering fact.

Bernard (In hope that the J15 will put a stop to this discussion)

PS

Funny faces and quotes not working for me at the moment.

As good as the A3s and A4s might be they are still compromised by the need to make them go round corners.

Plus further compromises with the valve gear of course....

I'll offer an alternative opinion. Perhaps the compromises that need to be made to enable the models to go around model railway curves that are done without, in my opinion, affecting the appearance of the model significantly are reason in themself to appreciate the engineering required in the design?

Edit: Of course the rear Cartazzi trucks could do with some more thought.

Anyway, my vote for the best Hornby model goes to the LNER B17.

Edited by Cooped

While we're at it, you might also care to note that the 24 and the crane runner are also Hornby and Triang respectively.

Pushing the envelope there a wee bit with the 24 I reckon.   :angel:

'City of Wells' BR 34092 starts heavy train.... not long out of the shops, sanders on.

somewhere well west of Woking.

attachicon.gif0_34092_Bulleid_BR_Express_Starting_2abc_r1200.jpg

Shome mishtake shurely!

City of Wells was the pride of Stewart's Lane from new, tucked up in blankets with a hot water bottle for the night and only taken out in time for a polish before the Golden Arrow service. If it was raining they sent one of those Britannia things out to get wet instead. So cosseted was it (along with running mate Weymouth) it only ran 500,000 miles with BR, by far the lowest mileages of the Bulleid Pacifics. The thought of it working west of Woking, where it might get dirty, sends shivvvvers, at least until the Golden Arrow was electrified and that beastly Salisbury shed had cut down its tender and cruelly told it to work for its keep in its old age........ :no: :wink_mini:

• Like 2

Shome mishtake shurely!

City of Wells was the pride of Stewart's Lane from new, tucked up in blankets with a hot water bottle for the night and only taken out in time for a polish before the Golden Arrow service. If it was raining they sent one of those Britannia things out to get wet instead. So cosseted was it (along with running mate Weymouth) it only ran 500,000 miles with BR, by far the lowest mileages of the Bulleid Pacifics. The thought of it working west of Woking, where it might get dirty, sends shivvvvers, at least until the Golden Arrow was electrified and that beastly Salisbury shed had cut down its tender and cruelly told it to work for its keep in its old age........ :no: :wink_mini:

Indeed a great error sir, that Stewart's Lane's finest should have been purloined for an Easter excursion in the west.

I shall shift the head codes at some time, shortly, for some Ramsgate or Dover service perhaps. Actually I usually check the sheds of engines I illustrate. Mea culpa.

In the meantime I had been waiting for days to bid on a heavily weathered 35026 MN on Ebay and when I did bid, with a seller from whom I have bought off before several times, with a few seconds remaining, I got a big 'will not sell to NZ message' in large red letters, so the engine went to a bidder at reserve price, a shame for the seller, who didn't intend this, and a disappointment for me. Seems Ebay keep changing rules or something..

As to 'Eastern Section' and 'Western Section' Bulleids, I have a pristine rebuilt 'Westward Ho' in the mail, so I'll put Bournemouth or Plymouth headcodes on that instead.