Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Steve

Ah! GNR Engine Sheds Volume 1, guess where I had put my photocopy of the Walsworth kit instructions?

The fun part was remembering how I built the first model when I started the second one. The good thing making it out of plastic card is no burnt finger tips. I am using N gauge track for the yet to be built tubs. I was thinking of using N-gauge wheels for the tubs. On the other hand just disc made from plastic card might do as they will not be operational. Unless you can motorise a 1/76 geezer to push one along. We tend to forget that even with coal hoist there was still a lot of human muscle required to hump the stuff around.

The only colour photos I have seen of these coal hoist are ones of the one at Kings Cross Bottom Shed, and then it is always in the background. It appears black, but was that the colour it was painted or it weathered to? Paul has painted his in a green not too dissimilar to that used on station buildings and signal boxes of the LNER and later Eastern Region. 

Thanks Clive.  I wouldn't have thought of painting it green!  I was thinking they might have been grey, but as you say they mostly look black - if they didn't start off that colour I expect they soon turned it!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

More coaling plant soldering.

I replaced some of the diagonal bracing girders provided with 1mm x 1mm brass angle from Eileen's, as the ones provided looked too heavy.  The positioning of them is a bit vague in the instructions and not clear from the photo of a finished model that comes with the kit, or the pictures I'd found of real ones, but I got the diagonal bracing that supports the platforms looking fairly OK.  But it was obvious from the pictures that there was a lot more girder work on the real thing, but no matter how I looked at the pictures it just resembled a spider's web.  So I added a couple of diagonals joining the two main uprights in a kind of 'impressionistic' way and hoped for the best.

Then I found a decent side on view of the coaler at Frodingham!  In a little book called "British Railways Engine Sheds No. 1" from Irwell Press (p.12).  It seems to be of the same type as the Hitchin one, although the motor housing at the top might be smaller.  It looks like a posed official picture as a loaded tub is half way up, but there are no locos or staff to be seen.  This made the bracing between the main uprights very clear - four horizontal bars, each braced diagonally at each end.

One of the benefits of soldering is you can undo what you've done if you change your mind or make a mistake, and I did so.  Then with more of the 1mm x 1mm angle, reproduced what I could see in the photo of the Frodingham machine.  I also turned round the big 'control gear box' between the legs, as I'd realised it wouldn't be accessible with the hoist lowered as I'd originally done it!

So here is progress so far, with the hoist carriage and unfinished tub posed in the same position as in the Frodingham photograph:

P1030014.jpg.81595bddffe32ef0f3d136de4d7dd949.jpg

The soldering doesn't look quite as neat now, but hopefully will look better under a coat of paint.  Next instalment of finger singeing fun - handrails and ladders!

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

Not sure if these might help - it's a German prototype, but might help with the spiders web...

libble-de.pdf the PDF has some good assembly photos to help with putting the structure together

1173221579_61x8T0wpiL._SL1000_.jpg.33627de361d46540ddf32efb19fefc60.jpg

LNER sheds in Camera by John Hooper has a single side view of the Kings Cross coaler, but its not much help

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
inexplicably unable to spell coaler correctly
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for these photos, which are fascinating and very helpful although after a weekend slaving over a hot soldering iron mine is now finished!  Pictures later.

I also found a decent black & white picture of the one at Lowestoft, which also seems to have been of the "Hitchin / Frodingham" type.

Still looking for a decent colour picture of one though, and realised since Clive pointed out that Paul Goldsmith painted his green that the photo with the Walsworth Models kit's instructions shows that they painted theirs green as well, quite a dark shade.  I found a colour picture of the KX one ("Sixties Spotting Days Around the Eastern Region" p.90) which with my eyes half closed and a bit of wishful thinking nearly convinced me that that one was green underneath the coal dust as well!

I presume the Faller kit is plastic & might have been an easier starting point although is it an ash pit hoist (it seems to bring whatever it is up from beneath ground level)?

• Like 2

On 05/08/2019 at 08:07, 31A said:

If only that were possible!  I did work out a system in my head whereby groups of levers would be connected by cords so that only one of the group could be pulled of at a time.  But it was fiddly enough threading the cords that actually work the signals, so I suspect that idea will remain in my head.  It wouldn't have been full interlocking, anyway.

Hi Steve

I'm really enjoying seeing your layout and your photos and descriptions are positively inspiring. You really seem to have captured the atmosphere of the steam age City. 

I've only just noticed this post and it reminded me of the cord based interlocking that appeared a lot in Henry Greenly's books.

1355474559_Greenlyinterlocking001.jpg.6a4e60e165b31795e91ececa1cc0fa20.jpg

This interlocking uses a combination of cord and bracket interlocking illustrated in a simple example below

593147359_Greenlyinterlocking003.jpg.047ecbf937034e0b20d4743dc7e4b697.jpg

However, though there were plenty of diagrams of such schemes in Greenly's books and articles, I've never actually seen a photo of one so wonder whether it perhaps remained in his head too. He does in any case seem to have envisaged it more as a way of trying out an interlocking scheme in practice before converting it to the hard metal of a proper tappet locking frame (which he also described) . It still seems quite an intriguing idea so If anyone wants to try it Greenly suggested catgut (violin string- never made from cats! ) or picture wire though nowadays you might use nylon cord. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thank you so much for those kind words, David - glad you've enjoyed reading!  Yes, that is the kind of interlocking I had in mind, although I don't remember reading that by Henry Greenly before!  I didn't think of the connections in front of the frame - I don't think that would be possible in my arrangement.  Actually as an experiment more than anything I did connect two of the signal levers in the "old" frame to each other (levers 28 and 29 in the picture posted on 4th August) so that only one can be pulled at once. They are connected by a (separate) piece of the fishing line that is used to connect the levers to the signals, via a screw eye under the baseboard.  It works well enough, but it would have been just too 'fiddly' to have extended the system to the other levers!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

It's a lovely looking coaler, not sure I could cope with that itty bitty soldering.  

For future reference, if anyone else is modelling one of these, this is about as good an image as I can get of the KX one.

Capture.JPG.145f302e21388b9539be383ff400aea6.JPG

What's the purpose of the leant-to shelter?  Is it to keep the rain off the herberts as they shovel coal by hand out of the wagons and into the tubs?

Despite having videoed one in action in China back in 1992, I've never fully understood how they work... hurrah for youtube

And now I shall stop derailing the thread!  Back to Finsbury Square!

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

What's the purpose of the leant-to shelter?  Is it to keep the rain off the herberts as they shovel coal by hand out of the wagons and into the tubs?

Yes, exactly - to keep the coal men dry.  Every depot that had such a hoist seems to have had a makeshift shelter nearby for that purpose.  The standard gauge coal wagon siding and the narrow gauge tub way both went underneath it and I presume the men just stood on the big wagons and threw the coal into the little ones, I've not been able to see that there was any kind of platform inside the shed.

Thank you for the photos, which are very interesting!  I'd really like to see one in colour (not necessarily the KX one) showing what colour they were painted before they turned black!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2014 at 21:31, 31A said:

Ah thank you, so that's what goes on behind the frosted windows of this office then!

post-31-0-80498600-1393882163.jpg

post-31-0-64708700-1393882199.jpg

I think the real one might have had an address in Artillery Lane?

What kit was used for that building?  It has a fairly modular look to it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dungrange said:

I think I've found it - it looks like this started life as a DPM model of a hotel - https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/woodland-scenics-m-t-arms-hotel-dpm11900/

Yes, that's correct.  It isn't modular, actually, but by making it as a low relief building I was able to make a longer facade by using parts of the side walls to lengthen the front.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, 31A said:

The effect is that locos will take longer to progress through the links.  Incoming engines would previously have returned light engine to the fiddle yard, to be replaced by another.  Now they will go on shed to be coaled, turned and watered, and then later go off shed to work a later train back to where they came from, in other words the fiddle yard to be replaced by another for the next day's session.  

Excellent, more play value realistic operation!

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, All thumbs said:

The stabling roads and positions of turntable, coal hoist and engine men's bothy all appear to be a mirror image of KX Bottom Loco. Have you used commercial structures for the bothy and if so, which?

Hi, thanks for asking!  Yes, well spotted - the engine men's bothy is similar to the one at KX although smaller; I based the model on it but just working from photos - I didn't have a drawing of it.  I made it from card and brick paper for a previous layout:

IMG_3070.jpg.1fa8d2b6a49894b904ebf7e063212b33.jpg

The doorsteps shouldn't be that high, it was sunk into the ground previously.  I just put it on this layout as a place holder and to see what the general scene would look like.  I may replace it with something more suitable, from Plastikard.

It hadn't really occurred to me but you're right, the layout is pretty much a mirror image of that at KX - coincidental really, although space is restricted in both cases.  The coal wagon road really needs to be quite long so that wagons can be moved along it during unloading, but I didn't want the coaling plant to be at the front of the layout where it would be vulnerable.  The extreme left hand siding at the front of the baseboard ,just visible, may well be a place to put a few oil tankers as a makeshift diesel loco fuelling point.

• Like 12

• 1 month later...