Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Proper traction on Link 3.

A couple of Diseasels coming up in Link 1 as well.  They might be around at the weekend!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 15/04/2024 at 12:33, 31A said:

By way of light relief after finishing the latest coach for Peterborough North and a full on Easter weekend behind Grantham, I've been making a wagon kit.  This one to be precise:

https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/C59-SR-LNER-12ton-8-plank-Mineral-Wagon-SR-D1390-LNER-D192-p94211402

At first sight, 'only a mineral wagon' but actually something a little bit different, being a wagon built in the 1940s by the Southern Railway for the LNER, and with a few distinctive features - 8 plank sides, prominent external angle iron 'side knees' either side of the side doors, and no kerb rails.

Cambrian kits are great, but I decided to replace some of the bits with metal parts from my stash because

• They're better detailed
  • Cambrian wagons have a tendency to riding too high - something to do with the underframe mouldings I presume
  • I had the parts in the stash anyway and thought I might as well use them

So, I replaced the axleguards and buffers with ABS white metal castings, used etched parts from Wizard Models / 51L for the brake gear, and drawhooks from Ambis.  I really like these  51L brake gear parts:

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wagons/blgva/

They can be a bit fiddly to put together but as long as you follow the instructions they go together well, make a big improvement to the appearance of the wagon and result in a more robust model.  As the parts cover a range of prototypes, I had to modify the brake lever for length, drilling a new hole further in from the thick end and cutting off the thin end after it had been bent to shape.

Here's the underneath of the wagon, with the work in progress.  Although as mineral wagons they had independent brakes, I put a single cross shaft through the V hangers to keep everything in line, then cut away the middle section when everything was set.  The inner V hangers and Evo stuck to the inside of  the solebars, with the outer ones being cranked round the lower flange of the solebar.  Always fun soldering metal bits attached to plastic bits, but at least soldering the stay between the brake lever rack and the axleguard was easier with the axleguards being white metal!

7B0AC101-6608-49E4-A801-716BD60EFFA5_1_201_a.jpeg.4719ab9d52c07bf8f401504d8dd41a67.jpeg

This shows all the added metal parts.

The door bangers are from brass strip, threaded through slots in the top of the solebar so that they could be glued securely to the underside of the floor.  Their angles were adjusted after these photos were taken!

Another unusual feature of these wagons was that they evidently had 'standard' buffers at each end, rather than the buffers with upstanding lugs that mineral wagons usually have at the door end, to hold the floor in place.

44D88AA3-9D96-4830-ADCD-2BA45A30E07F_1_201_a.jpeg.a81253e9139baa65039bc2f7cf325111.jpeg

I then cut back the cross shaft, just leaving enough of it to thread the brake shoe moulding onto the remaining stub, having drilled through the centre of the moulding.  I'd cut away the moulded safety hangers, and replaced them with the brass ones from the 51L etch.

1AF45A38-B0E1-4A7B-AFCD-409BC1B8EFDA_1_201_a.jpeg.799e5fd18ea31b1ed2cf243c8aff89c8.jpeg

That was all fairly straightforward; in fact I think construction took less time than painting, but I'll come onto that later....

Kit building Wagons and Vans is very good Therapy I find. Especially when you add some more robust parts and decent Buffers.

Good job Steve.

Phik

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 31A said:

it's not easy to see the variations in the planks that I so carefully picked out

I disagree, Steve.   It's nice and subtle as it should be.   I think it's a bit clean overall, but I'd be really pleased with that if I'd done it.   Humbrol 160 is a good tip too, tvm.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, jwealleans said:

I disagree, Steve.   It's nice and subtle as it should be.   I think it's a bit clean overall, but I'd be really pleased with that if I'd done it.   Humbrol 160 is a good tip too, tvm.

Thank you Jonathan, glad you like it!   Actually I meant to put, I think it's a bit clean!  Won't be going over it again now with the weathering otherwise I'd probably end up having to do the rust etc. again too; perhaps it's just been through a Washery....

• Like 1

You're not wrong, you can lose some of the subtlety.   This is one of mine (the Cambrian D178, actually) before and after weathering.   The camera has lost some of the effect as well, but you can see that it does blend and lose the small plank variations.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

You're not wrong, you can lose some of the subtlety.   This is one of mine (the Cambrian D178, actually) before and after weathering.   The camera has lost some of the effect as well, but you can see that it does blend and lose the small plank variations.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks, not just me then!  The overall result looks good.  I've got one of those kits to do sometime, as well ....

• Like 1