Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Spring is sprung - butterflies are out

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No butterflies seen here in the middle of nowhere Lincolnshire but I have heard bees buzzing and had a hare running around the paddock while I was working today.

We are really looking forward to seeing our family of hares in the field opposite. Always great fun to watch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not a butterfly but I did find a rather befuddled-looking seven-spot ladybird out for a stroll across my study window the other day.  ~11°C in Edinburgh so not as tropical you lucky people darn sarf.  Am a little concerned about the poor thing if we do get a few more frosts before spring is properly sprung up here.

In other seasonal news: I counted NINE frogs in our garden pond last night.  Not bad considering it was demolished and rebuilt - bigger - over the winter, and only has very sparse planting at the moment.  It seems you can't buy aquatics until at least April.  That probably loses us a star in whatever froggy equivalent of Tripadvisor they use: "Recently refurbished to a high standard but a little lacking in character.  Ribbit."

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The rape is just coming out near my house on the somewhat less protected coast of Norfolk.

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:11, friscopete said:

Saw a Brimstone a couple of weeks ago at  in our garden in Norfolk and again at Ranworth .Just seen another one .

I didn't know Jeremy had been down on Ranworth sailing Brimstone yet this year.

Yare and Bure One Design (AKA White boats) all named after Butterflys or Moths, Number 36 , is Brimstone, and may normally be seen sailing at Horning.

Horning SC should be sailing past Ranworth Dyke on a down river race (to Thurne) next Sunday Around 10:00 to 10:30 weather permitting..

2006ybodhorning1[1].jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah found one with Jeremy .. the start of the 30th May 2015 3 Rivers Race at approximately 11:00:30.. heading off down to go past Ranworth from Horning..

2015_Three_Rivers_Race_Start[1].jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2019 at 17:11, friscopete said:

Saw a Brimstone a couple of weeks ago at  in our garden in Norfolk and again at Ranworth .Just seen another one .

And another for me today travelling back from Hereford....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Tortoiseshell is  white boat number 21 sailed by Phil or Liz  no not that Phil or Liz although Anne has sailed one and did quite well.. 

I'll flutter off now or I'll be annoying you.... 

Edited by TheQ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a while since I posted any butterfly pics here so how about these?

I spent the first two weeks of June in Scotland - my photo targets were largely landscapes but I also hoped to see a real Scottish rarity - the chequered skipper. I visited two reserves, Glenborrowdale and Alt Mhuic, and was lucky at both in getting enough sunshine to coax the little blighters out.

od97Z5g.jpg

Possibly the prettiest skipper, unfortunately now confined to Western Scotland.

U8zkOHZ.jpg

oed8czJ.jpg

L81qcKE.jpg

foQWPfb.jpg

Chaz

• Like 6

While I was at the two Scottish reserves looking for chequered skippers I also found...

LpoTe4H.jpg

2d2uuPF.jpg

InEgRhV.jpg

...pearl-bordered fritillaries - such a nice bonus!

Chaz

• Like 7

Lovely photo's Chaz, I've not seen many Butterflies so far this year, is it still a bit early? 

Seen quite a few of these though, not sure if they are butterfly caterpillars?

65208690_654780425038713_5684755272023670784_n.jpg.894b385d86b6a639109d43c180c613df.jpg

Steve.

6 hours ago, sb67 said:

Lovely photo's Chaz, I've not seen many Butterflies so far this year, is it still a bit early? 

Seen quite a few of these though, not sure if they are butterfly caterpillars?

65208690_654780425038713_5684755272023670784_n.jpg.894b385d86b6a639109d43c180c613df.jpg

Steve.

No Steve, it's not too early - some species have been and gone! Of course the pretty dreadful weather through most of June hasn't helped. Let us hope that things are on the up and we have a warm sunny July.  :whistle:

• Thanks 1

Been a long while I've posted anything on the forum, especially on this thread but I came across this butterfly this evening while giving some of the garden a water and it hid in the depths of a Hypericum. Not sure what variety it is.

butterfly 1.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm - its being coy and hiding some spots but I think its a Ringlet

https://butterfly-conservation.org/butterflies/ringlet

But not totally sure!

We went out to Croome near Pershore yesterday - never seen so many Meadow Browns, and also a surprise in that there were a good number of marbled whites too

Phil

• Agree 1