The Pullman cars run with King George V in the 1970's

Watching an old video showing 6000 King George V running in the 1970's when it was owned by HP Bulmers, It reminded me that it was always running around with a rake of Pullman cars. These weren't painted in the usual Pullman colours if I remember so I'm looking for pictures and information about which Pullmans were in that rake, especially the colours. It's given me inspiration to get some old Hornby Pullmans and have a go at producing some of them. Tried a google search of images and that hasn't brought up very much to go by except for a couple of faded colour pictures.

Watching an old video showing 6000 King George V running in the 1970's when it was owned by HP Bulmers,

I hate it when people do this, so sorry, but Bulmers did pay toward the overhaul of KGV, but didn't actually 'own it'

It was overhauled in Newport Docks in part, I believe by A.R. Adams - a mate and I came across it in undercoat whilst walking to Cashmores scrap yard. We were allowed to crawl all over him whilst a group of chaps carried on with the overhaul.

I was also at STJ on 2nd. October 1971 for the return to steam trip ............. along with literally thousands of others.

Sadly, I don't have any details of the Pullman cars, but good luck in your quest.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

I have a postcard which I am pretty sure was bought at the Bulmers site, D Constance Ltd, Littlehampton, ref V 9121. It shows KGV plus four coaches, almost certainly static at Bulmers as there are people climbing over the tender and wandering around on the ground and they don't look like typical gricers. The first two are definitely Pullmans. It is hard to tell about the third. The profile is slightly different and the windows do not go so far up the side, so there is a narrow band of white between them and the red stripe. There MAY be an oval window at the far end. The final coach looks lke a BR design, though in the Bulmer livery. Certainly it has sliding opening top windows like Mk 1s.

This was covered in a not to distant past issue of Steam Railway I'm pretty sure. I'll try and dig out the issue this arvo.

Many thanks...I'd like to see that, if you can scan and email it...I rarely buy Steam Railway these days

Hope all this helps

The Pullman coaches were (in no order):

1951 built Aquila

1928 built Christine (Car 64)

1928 built Eve (Car 76)

1926 built Morella (Car 36)

1928 built Prinia (Car 83)

All the Pullmans apart from Aquila were renamed after wives of Bulmers directors. All 5 of the Pullmans still exist, Cars 64 and 76 at the Bluebell, Aquila and Car 36 at the Colne Valley Railway, and Car 83 at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.

As to the suspected Mk1s in the formations corneliuslundie, this is quoted from the 'old' RMweb, by Swindon 123, who was a member of the 6000LA at the time. He is still around on here, so it might be worth dropping him a line. Additions in bold:

This BSK (Quoted as M35219 in the article I have from SR) was the 6000LA support coach and usually went out with the King on the mainline. It had not long been painted into maroon as in the early years it was painted, (along with the CK(I currently can't find the number of the CK)) in the Cider Train colours of green and white. (I think it was lined out as well but am not 100% sure on that). The green and white was only carried on the passenger section of the BSK, the brake end being all over green.

There is another link to a piece on here, which also shows the tailboard: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62055-bulmers-cider-train/

Edit: I have found reference to the CK being 15879, but it was apparently scrapped in about 1985-6

Re-edited to correct some errors

Edited by 69843

• 6 years later...

File these under: Things I didn't even know existed until today. Are the modern Hornby Pullmans suitable to portray these coaches? They'd certainly make for an interesting model commission. The last picture here is from 1980, so does anyone know when they were sold off/repainted? I presume that they were all preserved?

c.1969 - Tyseley, Birmingham.

c.1969 - Bulmers, Hereford, Herefordshire.

25123 @ Shrewsbury 16.06.79

Bulmers Cider Train

R3733.  Bulmers Cider Train at  Kensington Olympia.  6/10/71.

Severn Tunnel Junction 2 October 1971

R3732.  Bulmers Cider Train at Kensington Olympia.  6/10/71.

6201, Craven Arms, October 1977 AQUILA

A980C-102

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 1

I have a slide I took of  King George V and the Pullman set but It was rather a distant shot (and didn't scan too well anyway*), but needless to say I can't find it.

* The slides seem to have all gone walkabout - I trust the distaff side of the family didn't throw them out....

Edited by Il Grifone

• 1 year later...
On 14/06/2020 at 14:45, Il Grifone said:

I have a slide I took of  King George V and the Pullman set but It was rather a distant shot (and didn't scan too well anyway*), but needless to say I can't find it.

* The slides seem to have all gone walkabout - I trust the distaff side of the family didn't throw them out....

Twelve months on, here it is. (For what it's worth - not a lot! Focus wasn't all that good on the original slide and scanning has not improved matters. It was a 'point and shoot' effort - the train was not hanging about!)

slides 033.jpg

Edited by Il Grifone