The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tony Benn has died

edcayton

I think it is fair to say that many of us on RMWEB are just to the right of centre, what is clear is that we all recognise having people of integrity on the left of centre be they politicians, trade unionists or mere human beings is paramount in having a balanced society to ensure freedoms and opportunities for all.

As each of these grandees pass away I do worry that our balanced society erodes a little with it.

RIP Tony Benn whom I can remember under his full title of Sir Anthony Wedgewood Benn.

I think it is fair to say that many of us on RMWEB are just to the right of centre.....

I only just spotted that you said "many", not "most"... I can't imagine the can of worms that might have opened!

Just to the right of centre? Or very right of centre?

They do say you get more right-wing as you get older......

• RMweb Premium

As I was driving home today I heard a radio programme about himn presented by David Davies and as i listened my respect for benn grew as I learned a lot about his earlier years in politics.    He will be sadly missed as many above have said.  Politics today seems to be full of career poiiticians who all seem to come out of the same mould.  Tony Benn was not of that ilk.  I disagreed with him about various war related issues but very much respected his right to express his views.  After all I believe he ahd seen action as  a fighter pilot which gave him, in my view, the right to express his firmly held opinion.

Jamie

Brilliant, articulate, charming, gracious he undoubtedly was. However, after seeing last nights TV tribute, I think he was vain, self serving and ambitious. As an orator he was powerful, but he was backward looking.

His easy charm came from his smooth education and his considerable wealth, a millionaire who married a wealthy American, he decided to side with the working classes though he was not one of them. This was patronising and self-serving. When it became clear he might not make it to be Labour leader he became destructive. He nearly destroyed Labour and his inability to modernise in the face of de-industrialisation and nascent globalisation in fact betrayed the very working classes he was so keen to defend. Libertarian, contrarian, man of principle he may have been, but he was a flawed man unable to grasp the political realities of the present.

I did go to his very enjoyable one man show and talk to him, by then he was in his dotage and living history.

• RMweb Gold

I think it is fair to say that many of us on RMWEB are just to the right of centre,

I think it is fair to say that there are just as many to the left...

I was fortunate enough to work with Tony Benn on two occasions as technician for his speaking events. He was a true gentleman, and his background as a committed Christian was evident in a lot of his views. A nicer man you could not hope to meet.

One of my heroes.

RIP

Archived