The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tony Benn has died

edcayton

• RMweb Gold

I went to one of his roadshows in Salisbury, very much a Conservative town. Yet the audience loved him. Clearly respected for his humour and honesty in politics.

Before the show, he had dropped in to visit Edward Heath. He firmly believed that politics was about policy not personality. Not often true nowadays.

I went to one of his roadshows in Salisbury, very much a Conservative town. Yet the audience loved him. Clearly respected for his humour and honesty in politics.

Before the show, he had dropped in to visit Edward Heath. He firmly believed that politics was about policy not personality. Not often true nowadays.

Yes back in the days when left was left and right was right, you knew what the man stood for and respeced him for that

"Transport is an essential public service and ought to be publicly owned and publicly controlled. We need an enormous expansion in the investment in our railways and that is the best way of achieving it." Tony Benn.

You had to love him for that, at least. RIP.

In his autobiography he said that politicians fall into two categories; signposts and weather vanes. He noted with some disdain that since he first entered parliament the character of the majority of politicians therein had changed from the former to the latter. Incidentally, his autobiography - "Dare to be a Daniel" - is well worth a read.

He was a principled man, yet honest and gracious - a rare combination indeed.

We will miss him.

"Transport is an essential public service and ought to be publicly owned and publicly controlled'

I remember that so well. And how stupid the usual Red Tops were to simply dismiss it as Marxist cant.  There will be paeans written about him today and deservedly so. I'll limit my comments to the fact that not only did he bring colour and interest to British politics, he also showed that it can have integrity. How many can do that today ?

Tony

Tony Benn was committed to his visions, and would happily discuss / argue his beliefs with anyone, but he would never tell the other person their beliefs were wrong as he respected their right to hold their own opinions, whether they agreed with his or not.

I get fed up with todays politicians telling me what I must believe - I have a brain of my own and Tony Benn respected that. Oh for more like him in todays politics - the country would be so much better for it.

RIP Tony.

Phil

I met Tony Benn whilst taking photographs at a South Wales Miners Gala in the mid 1970's. Whilst I did not agree with his politics he was very personable, a brilliant orator and a man of principle.

I wish I could say the same of the current batch of politicians of all parties!

RIP

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Definitely a man of principle but I found him to have a tendency - like many conviction politicians (of all shades) - to be rather weak on facts.  It was, I thought, absolutely hilarious that when during the Flexible Rostering dispute he stood alongside some of his constituents outside Bristol Bath Road loudly condemning the iniquitous proposals of the BRB and quoting a roster as an illustration of the horrors to come; only thing was that he quoted part of a then current Bath Road roster.  

Alas you can sometimes see through arguments when you know the facts.

Unlike Ed, I was lucky enough to see Tony support Roy Bailey a couple of years ago.  Ever the dissenter, he sat on stage puffing on his characteristic pipe full in the knowledge that he was in a non-smoking venue.

In the mid 80s I had to visit the House of Commons for work, sitting in the officials' box behind the Speaker's Chair ready with briefing material for the Minister [the late Angela Rumbold] who was to reply to the debate.  Tony Benn spoke.  When read in Hansard his words appeared ordinary, almost prosaic, but when delivered by the man himself in the Chamber came with a significant force.

It is improbable that we shall see his like again.

Chris 

Whilst I rarely agreed with Tony Benn's politics (although when he was right he was spectacularly right - as in his comments about the lack of transparency and true democracy in the EU), I respected him as a politician who had principles and stuck to them. There are very few politicians of the twentieth century of whom this can be said and Tony Benn was one of those few.

He was very clear about what he stood for and what he believed in; if he said in 1970 that "the best balloons are red ones", he'd still say it in 1980 and again in 1990 and so on. Not like too many politicians nowadays - of all political colours - who have their snouts in the public trough.

RIP Mr Benn. I won't miss your politics, but I will miss your integrity and principles.

• RMweb Premium

A conviction politician who spoke and cared passionately about issues. I may not have always agreed  but I had a great deal of respect for him. So many of todays politicians are superficial and appear only to be interested in sound bites!

• RMweb Premium

A conviction politician who spoke and cared passionately about issues. I may not have always agreed  but I had a great deal of respect for him. So many of todays politicians are superficial and appear only to be interested in sound bites!

Agreed! A lot of the current crop just deserve to be convicted.

Bogey man of the Left (according to most of the "popular" press) - I always thought he came over as pleasant and reasonable.

I never quite forgave him for his Marine Offences Bill which finished nearly all the pirate radio stations off back in '67, mind!

• RMweb Gold

One of his claims to fame was he traveled with me, on the train, from Birmingham to Bristol back in the 1980s - he found me interesting company.

Or was it the other way around ?

Like others I didn't often agree with him and like StationMaster says some of his points were not always right but an MP who sticks to their guns is a rare commodity.

RIP Tony.

• RMweb Premium

He was an articulate and thoughtful man with a genuine gift for public speaking. He also appears to have been a genuinely warm and good humoured human being. I never agreed with him on many policy issues but politics will be a poorer place without him. One of his most endearing qualities (to me at any rate) was that he separated politics from people and he clearly had very warm relations with many who hated his politics and vice versa, in this era of spin doctors and politics at the lowest common denominator that seems to be a dying thing. I used to enjoy watching one of the late night politics shows where Tony Benn and William Hague chatted about topical issues, for all that they were poles apart politically there was clearly a genuine warmth between them and it was a hoot to watch as they were both very gifted speakers. You can't imagine Ed Balls and George Osbourne arguing the issues of the day anything like as articulately or with the same sense of good humour and camaraderie. A sad loss.

Archived