Simon Kohler to leave Hornby

Brian Indge

If a locomotive was to be named in Simon Kohler's honour  which class would you choose?

I would pick the preserved 2BIL 2090 as the Hornby produced under Simon's guidance was an example him listening to what the modellers wanted an coming up with a fine model.

Nigel

The funny thing about that is back in 2003 the Train Collectors Society held one of their meetings at a school in Sandy, Beds. At the end of the evening, in the lecture theatre, Simon Kohler held a bit of a question and answer session. At the time there was a lot of chatter (I was a regular on MREmag back then) about a forthcoming EMU.

The rumours at the time suggested that Hornby had delayed the announcement/release of their unit as there was little consensus on which type it should be. In the event Bachmann's 4CEP came first.

Back in 2003, when questioned about the type of unit Hornby would produce, Simon replied that his personal choice would be a 2Bil but that it was ultimately not his decision.

The phrase that sticks in my mind from our audience with Simon Kohler is how "a model must have legs".

With these things in mind it would be interesting to know and perhaps one day we may (if,as has been suggested,we get a book form Simon perhaps co-authored with Pat Hammond - also in attendance that evening in 2003) how different the Hornby range might have been if Simon actually did have the first and last word on everything Hornby.

For the record, my only "conversation" with Simon at a Hornby roadshow was very short. After some had voiced their opinion about the Hornby range, He turned to me as if to answer any question I might have. 

RP  "I suppose you get a lot of that?"

SK   "Yep!"

RP

...The phrase that sticks in my mind from our audience with Simon Kohler is how "a model must have legs"...

I have heard similar over the years from various folk in the trade.

Now it may just be that everything generally proven and thus accepted as having 'legs' for the volume scale Hornby operate at, has now been produced in OO RTR form. Hornby have their well stocked tool chest, with every past model they 'own' ready to be exploited whenever enough demand is expressed by retailers for another run.

So, what next for new introductions? Probe new genres in OO to see if there is something neglected that can support the volume? Go look at other scales? Or follow the path Bachmann, Dapol and Heljan have been pursuing: subjects that are unlikely to generate long term repeat sales, made using techniques to keep the acquisition cost down and in a volume sufficient to clear an acceptable profit on what will probably be just two or three years of sales at most, with small possibility of any re-run at some future point.

... So, what next for new introductions? Probe new genres in OO to see if there is something neglected that can support the volume? Go look at other scales? Or follow the path Bachmann, Dapol and Heljan have been pursuing: subjects that are unlikely to generate long term repeat sales, made using techniques to keep the acquisition cost down and in a volume sufficient to clear an acceptable profit on what will probably be just two or three years of sales at most, with small possibility of any re-run at some future point.

I'm very struck by Hornby's commitment over the last few years to introducing high-quality coaching stock. Whereas a "niche" loco may have a couple of years shelf life, coaching stock can be repeated everytime you - or another manufacturer - produces a niche loco which requires something to pull. Maybe that was the start of a strategic response to the problem of lack of popular loco prototypes?

And it's interesting that Bachmann now finally seem to be jumping on that band-wagon, with Thompsons and birdcage stock promised.

Paul

They followed Bachmann in that too. Show me any other UK OO RTR manufacturer who put out a reasonably comprehensive range of coach types in the 'equivalent to a good kit-build' quality before Bachmann's mk1 range. And Bachmann have dominated the 'sustained repeat sale' wagon opportunity. Hornby have made no attempt to compete.

They followed Bachmann in that too. Show me any other UK OO RTR manufacturer who put out a reasonably comprehensive range of coach types in the 'equivalent to a good kit-build' quality before Bachmann's mk1 range. And Bachmann have dominated the 'sustained repeat sale' wagon opportunity. Hornby have made no attempt to compete.

Sorry, forgot the first rule: never ever compare Bachmann unfavourably to Hornby!  :nono:

More seriously, you're right that Bachmann launched the Mk1s. And a very nice job they've made of them, too. They followed it up with the Mk2s, which I rather like but most people seem more ambivalent about. And then...?

Well, nothing, actually. They kept churning out the same tired old Bulleids, for example, and made no effort to bring the Mk1 non-gangwayed stock up to a decent standard. It felt to me like, after the luke-warm reception given to the Mk2s, Bachmann just gave up on coaching stock.

Which is why it's nice that, finally, they have followed Hornby into good-standard pre-Nationalisation coaching stock. Or, at least, that's what they've promised.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I'm very struck by Hornby's commitment over the last few years to introducing high-quality coaching stock. Whereas a "niche" loco may have a couple of years shelf life, coaching stock can be repeated everytime you - or another manufacturer - produces a niche loco which requires something to pull. Maybe that was the start of a strategic response to the problem of lack of popular loco prototypes?

And it's interesting that Bachmann now finally seem to be jumping on that band-wagon, with Thompsons and birdcage stock promised.

Paul

I consider that the best of Hornby's recent coach ranges represent the pinnacle of what has so far been achieved in r-t-r model passenger stock.

However, it is debateable exactly whose bandwagon was jumped on by who. Had Bachmann not demonstrated the existence of a market for better r-t-r coaches with their BR Mk1s, I wonder if the specification of Hornby's new generation coaches would have been as high or the range as wide as has turned out to be the case.

Before the sleeping giant of Margate awoke to the possibilities, Bachmann must have made a tidy income selling coaches to run with Hornby's post-2000 locos. Even the dated Bulleid and Thompson stock is far better than the generic coaches and ex-Triang Pullmans/Mk1s that made Hornby's best locos look even better than they are!

John  

...Sorry, forgot the first rule: never ever compare Bachmann unfavourably to Hornby! ...

That's a rule of your invention, not mine. All I am interested in are facts. For example I'll take Hornby's choices of motors and gear ratios in faster steam loco models particularly, over Bachmann's all too frequent tendency to use either a slow motor or overly high reduction, or a bit of both. Hornby's consistent use of brass bearings (until recently) as compared to running steel axle directly in mazak as was until recently the case with Bachmann was another. Make a superior product and it will be purchased: for example if Hornby had obliged with a new V2 at a standard matching their B1, the sorry Bachmann model wouldn't get a look in.

... if Hornby had obliged with a new V2 at a standard matching their B1, the sorry Bachmann model wouldn't get a look in.

I can't tell you how much I regret Hornby not choosing to issue a new V2.

Though I'm very pleased with the forthcoming D16.

Paul

Reading between the lines (sorry) I think Hornby have missed a golden opportunity to buy Bachmann's UK market, after all they have names such as Roco, Riovarossi, etc., Lima and some old Airfix & Mainline tooling etc. It wouldn't surprise me if Bachmann now makes a grab for Hornby and its "top brass" have jumped ship; Frank Martin "steps down" and Simon Kohler "bows out".........maybe they're joining Bachmann ready for the fishing line to be thrown out? All supposition but the World of Business follows some very strange routes.

On the side of Simon Kohler I wish him well in whatever field he finds himself in. I don't think he'll be gone for long; maybe a well earned break, maybe an early retirement package, who knows, but I'm sure he'll be well received wherever he lands.

Best wishes.

Rob

Reading between the lines (sorry) I think Hornby have missed a golden opportunity to buy Bachmann's UK market, 

Well Rob, I for one am mighty glad Hornby didn't get it hands on Bachmann. The latter company has produced consistently good and varied models that don't shoot off like a greyhound out of the stocks as soon as they detect current! As we have seen, Hornby has crapped in the nest with inconsistency and mood change while leaving folk wondering what the next model will be like. 

I must add my 'Agree' to the if only a V2 to match their B1 sentiment.  

That would have pretty well sealed the deal on an achievable rollback of my ultimate ambitions by one further year to glorious Technicolor 1966.

It is strange that Hornby never followed the B1 with a V2 given they had the driving wheels from the B1, the tender from the B17, the cartazzi from the A3 and the R&D from the A3 and A4 relevant to boiler, cab and a few other dimensions and bits relevant to a V2 model. The streamlined P2 versions would also share the exact same walschaerts valve gear.

....after all they have names such as Roco, Riovarossi, etc., Lima and some old Airfix & Mainline tooling etc.

Rob, they don't have Roco among their list of brands. That's a rather large competitor.

It wouldn't surprise me if Bachmann now makes a grab for Hornby and its "top brass" have jumped ship; Frank Martin "steps down" and Simon Kohler "bows out".........

The "top brass" as you put it, have all changed. That's the chairman, the board, the CEO and finance director.

As well as the "top brass", some of their staff have left. Simon being one of them.

It is strange that Hornby never followed the B1 with a V2 given they had the driving wheels from the B1, the tender from the B17, the cartazzi from the A3 and the R&D from the A3 and A4 relevant to boiler, cab and a few other dimensions and bits relevant to a V2 model. The streamlined P2 versions would also share the exact same walschaerts valve gear.

Hornby probably thought the rivet counters would moan there wasn't an authentically knackered monoblock cylinder casting included with the model. 

Frank Martin "steps down" and Simon Kohler "bows out".........maybe they're joining Bachmann ready for the fishing line to be thrown out? .

I very much doubt that. At least not for a year or two - they'll most likely be a clause in their contracts prohibiting them from working for a direct competitor for a set period of time. 

Archived