Working semaphore distant signals. How many left?

Swindon 123

Well from every ones replies so far there are still a few knocking around although all seem to be U/Q ones. I can't remember any left in West Wales or down in Devon and Cornwall so is the L/Q one at Sutton Bridge the last of its kind?

Paul J.

Well from every ones replies so far there are still a few knocking around although all seem to be U/Q ones. I can't remember any left in West Wales or down in Devon and Cornwall so is the L/Q one at Sutton Bridge the last of its kind?

Paul J.

Does Dorrington have one? Maybe worth checking....

A few left up here in North Wales.

Deganwy up distant DY5, hydraulic motor worked.

Prestatyn up distant, lattice bracket.

Ty Croes down distant

Valley down distant, was still there when I retired (2010) Not sure if replaced since.

Merf.

There is this one at Rolleston Crossing (and it is on a wooden post) on the Newark - Nottingham line, though not for long. All the crossings and boxes are due to be replaced in the next year. Get your pictures quick.

post-9992-0-62272300-1396727331_thumb.jpg

And the next crossing down at Fiskerton with Fiskerton Junction's distant beneath.

post-9992-0-31371600-1396727391_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

On a visit to mother in laws in North Manchester. Forgot that that Ashton Moss Junction is still semaphore and there is a working distant on a bracket frame at the Manchester end of Ashton Under Lyne Station.I will post images when I get home.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

There is this one at Rolleston Crossing (and it is on a wooden post) on the Newark - Nottingham line, though not for long. All the crossings and boxes are due to be replaced in the next year. Get your pictures quick.

attachicon.gifP7065597.JPG

And the next crossing down at Fiskerton with Fiskerton Junction's distant beneath.

attachicon.gifP7065606.JPG

Mike Wiltshire

The railway grinds on slowly. I developed a project for automating those crossings nearly 20 years ago.

As promised the Ashton Moss North Junction distants.

post-9992-0-07549900-1397409818_thumb.jpgpost-9992-0-81807900-1397409822_thumb.jpg

This is the bracket at Ashton Station. It used to be part of 'Ashton OA & GB' box but when this was removed (IKEA now on the site of the junction tracks) the arm was attached to 'Ashton Moss North Junction'

post-9992-0-69965300-1397409830_thumb.jpg

The Manchester Victoria end distant for Ashton Moss North Junction.

post-9992-0-95090400-1397409836_thumb.jpg

To complete the scene 'Ashton Moss North Junction' itself complete with Woodhead overhead catenary masts from the days this was a loco exchange point.

post-9992-0-06956000-1397410584_thumb.jpg

There was a fixed distant on the left hand post but this is now the board as seen. Ex Ashton Moss South Junction, now attached to North Junction when South box was torched by the local gentry resulting in the tracks being lifted on the north spur in favour of Scandinavian furniture retailing.

As can be seen there is ongoing bridge work to increase the height for the Manchester-Leeds electrification. I doubt if Ashton Moss North Junction Semaphores will be retained and one of the last remaining semaphore outposts in the Manchester area will be gone.

Mike Wiltshire

Rorythebus said,   "Are you including working fixed distants in you equation"

If it can be mover up and down from a lever it counts. If it can't be mover it doesn't. Plenty of fixed distants still about but the working ones are fast disappearing quickly as the resignalling schemes get going. Hereford - Shrewsbury is due to be resignalled in 2017, (not sure if its achievable) but there will be a pocket around Shrewsbury which will include Sutton Bridge Jcn which has no set date for resignalling that I know of as yet. Since 2010, seven have gone or been  replaced by colour lights between Hereford and Crewe, with another 2 lost between Salop and Dee Marsh. They are fast becoming a dying breed so get photos of them whilst they still exist.

Paul J.

Archived