Working semaphore distant signals. How many left?

Swindon 123

In recent years the Marches line between Newport and Crewe, and including Shrewsbury to Wrexham and Dee Marsh, has been one of the last strongholds of semaphore signals, especially lower quadrant, on the network. However recent resignalling schemes have started to deplete their number. Many semaphore stop signals still survive, on borrowed time, but the distant ones have taken a real battering. A recent survey I did found only two examples of worked semaphore's left. Pennyffords down distant, which is U/Q and still worked on the wire, and Sutton Bridge's down distant, which is motor worked. This distant is L/Q and possibly the last one of it's kind unless someone can come up with another example and may survive a few years more as the Shrewsbury area and Sutton Bridge Jcn box are not up for replacement before 2020 at this present time. The most recent losses have been the distants at Moreton-on Lugg, Wooferton and Dorrington on the down and Sutton Bridge's up distant, all motor worked L/Q type. Pennyffords down distant is living on borrowed time as its replacement colour light is in position, although it has been so for the last couple of years.

So how many working semaphore distant signals are left on Network Rail? Many fixed ones still exist. Shrewsbury and Worcester areas have many, but there are very few working ones left. I have not include those on Preserved lines as hopefully they will survive into the future.

As a taster I have included a shot, (from the rear unfortunately) of the one that still survives at Sutton Bridge Junction. The Stop arm is Severn Bridge's Down Hereford Starter/Section signal.

post-7146-0-25575200-1396602176_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

Wainfleet, Hubberts Bridge, Brundall, Lingwood/Chapel Lane* are just a few working stand alone mechanical distants. Cantley i think has a motor worked distant. Barnetby/Wrawby Juncs have some but i'm not sure if they work. Give me a while and i'll find a few more.

* You need to see the 'slotting' to believe it.

Edit to add...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32297024@N08/10496570165/

Careful study will reveal a bit missing... The distant is not capable of being worked..

Edit to edit the edit..

Here's one installed by my own fair paws..

post-4034-0-04992400-1396611826_thumb.jpg

Wainfleet, Hubberts Bridge, Brundall, Lingwood/Chapel Lane* are just a few working stand alone mechanical distants. Cantley i think has a motor worked distant. Barnetby/Wrawby Juncs have some but i'm not sure if they work. Give me a while and i'll find a few more.

Edit to add...

Careful study will reveal a bit missing... The distant is not capable of being worked..

Edit to edit the edit..

attachicon.gifDSC07132a.jpg

What a silly looking signal.

• RMweb Premium

There is one on the s&c wennington branch its settle's dist

Alas that's a colour light: see here, there aren't any semaphore distants in that area as far as I know.

The Buxton line still has some but I don't know how many are mechanical and how many motorised.

I'm sure there's still a few on the Aberdeen-Inverness line beyond Inverurie, plus I'm pretty sure there's still a few between Arbroath and Stonehaven, likely with their original lattice posts.

Agreed with Jim re north of Inverurie, but I strongly suspect that all distants on the Arbroath-Stonehaven section are two-aspect colour lights.  

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Blackpool.. I installed it. I didn't design it.

Distant gone now as No.1 was abolished a year or two back.

Cantley has two semaphore distants - one is visible in this clip of mine.

• RMweb Gold

I had heard the distants remained used with a recontrolled former No1 box signal as an I.B. Is this the case?

I will ask my friendly signal engineer - I'd assumed it had gone, but I might be wrong.

I'm sure there's still a few on the Aberdeen-Inverness line beyond Inverurie, plus I'm pretty sure there's still a few between Arbroath and Stonehaven, likely with their original lattice posts.

According to the line diagrams I have for that line the only 2 are/were  MN 45 and MN45R but think they were replaced when they resignalled the Montrose area.

Also al Aberdeen -Inverness distant signals are all colour light

• RMweb Premium

Uttoxetter has them in both directions

That brings back some memories, I was a child the last time I went along there and I vaguely recall having seen in some book a simple description of what the signals meant (I just about got the idea of semaphores but hadn't worked out colour lights), spent the journey with my eyes peeled telling everyone whether we were about to stop or not.

Edit to add...

Edit to edit the edit..

attachicon.gifDSC07132a.jpg

Oooh looks like some industrial plant has lost it's safety walkways for this job...

Archived