Steve's 4mm workbench. Lima class 47 re vamp

sb67

On 26/10/2023 at 18:28, sb67 said:

The current state of play with the vans. I've resprayed two of them Railmatch freight brown, a couple of coats of Klear then transfers and next up another coat of Klear then Matt varnish. 

With hindsight I would have liked a more faded, lighter brown appearance to one at least, not sure how to get that now though, never mind. 

395453219_865717905337890_6479358247141804658_n.jpg.96734b60ab22ce30a18c83a8d2993085.jpg

I thought exactly the same after doing some with Railmatch, good colour but looks dark and too 'new'.

I have a couple more vans to do so will be interested to see if you try something to fade out.

Some very nice stuff going on here.

All the best 

James

On 26/10/2023 at 18:28, sb67 said:

The current state of play with the vans. I've resprayed two of them Railmatch freight brown, a couple of coats of Klear then transfers and next up another coat of Klear then Matt varnish. 

With hindsight I would have liked a more faded, lighter brown appearance to one at least, not sure how to get that now though, never mind. 

395453219_865717905337890_6479358247141804658_n.jpg.96734b60ab22ce30a18c83a8d2993085.jpg

Mix up a very thin white (10% paint and 90% thinner) and overspray. You'll have to be careful - nothing will happen for the first several coats and then all of a sudden it'll be too much - but if you're careful, it will lighten/fade your base coat. I've done it a few times on a couple of wagons like this:

Matt

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thanks Matt. I might try that woth a biege/brown colour, a lot of the pics I have the vans seem to fade to that colour, or I also have a light dust colour that I could use. I'll have to do some tests. I've also got some liquid pigments by Lifecolor, they tend to pool on a glossy surface but could work on a matt surface. 

I'll have to do some testing! 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/10/2023 at 13:09, sb67 said:

Thanks Matt. I might try that woth a biege/brown colour, a lot of the pics I have the vans seem to fade to that colour, or I also have a light dust colour that I could use. I'll have to do some tests. I've also got some liquid pigments by Lifecolor, they tend to pool on a glossy surface but could work on a matt surface. 

I'll have to do some testing! 

I can understand combining fading and weathering in one stroke but be careful with a beige/brown mix if you’re trying to fade…. Everything white will end up beige/brown including the lettering. Think about the weathering process going on. Fading is an all over effect but mucky splatter is area specific. 

Griff

• Like 3

There are a few examples of what I'm aiming for on here, you can still see the maroon/brown at the ends, but the body has weathered to a browner shade, but you can still see the original livery under it.

I fear I may have bitten off more than I can chew!

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brvda 

Link to the excellent Paul Bartlett site. 

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

I wanted a departmental van so I brush painted this one using Games Workshop paints, they painted really well over an undercoat, I could become a fan of these and there's a shop in town so I can actually go get some! Strange names though, I used Dawnstone and Yriel Yellow. Apparently you can spray them too. 

20231102_205115.jpg.3110e8084d7862787c74b6d127ac47a6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I wanted a departmental van so I brush painted this one using Games Workshop paints, they painted really well over an undercoat, I could become a fan of these and there's a shop in town so I can actually go get some! Strange names though, I used Dawnstone and Yriel Yellow. Apparently you can spray them too. 

They are good paints to be fair, my brother does a lot of warhammer stuff so have 'borrowed' pots before.

I'm sure somewhere there is a colour chart with what games workshop paints are close to railway colours, I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, sb67 said:

Surprisingly good for brush painted

18 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

They are good paints to be fair, my brother does a lot of warhammer stuff so have 'borrowed' pots before.

I'm sure somewhere there is a colour chart with what games workshop paints are close to railway colours, I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers

James

Interesting

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MJI said:

Surprisingly good for brush painted

Interesting

Thank you. I sprayed a grey undercoat on and put 3 thin coats of yellow and 2 of the grey, the paints thin with water and brush really well.  I might give the yellow another coat but the grey is fine. 

18 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Cheers

James

I can't seen to be able to find it but I think it was something like Citadel colours to Vallejo colours which then matched to some of the Humbrol Rail Colour range. There's a couple if sites which seem to have gone now, possible the RAF Kinloss MRC had it?

Just had a look again and the actual Humbrol conversion download doesn't seem to have the rail colours on! Frustrating

James

1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

I can't seen to be able to find it but I think it was something like Citadel colours to Vallejo colours which then matched to some of the Humbrol Rail Colour range. There's a couple if sites which seem to have gone now, possible the RAF Kinloss MRC had it?

Just had a look again and the actual Humbrol conversion download doesn't seem to have the rail colours on! Frustrating

James

Thanks for looking, I had trouble finding rail colour conversion charts. I think Games Workshop used to do a bauxite colour, not sure what it was called though. 

2 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Thanks for looking, I had trouble finding rail colour conversion charts. I think Games Workshop used to do a bauxite colour, not sure what it was called though. 

They did/do and it was a good colour for BR bauxite, Citadel changed their colour names as well at somepoint it was probably something like Goblin Toilet Brown or something! Its a real mine field. Might just be worth bobbing into shop and seeing what looks about right.

Cheers

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/11/2023 at 15:41, sb67 said:

Thank you. I sprayed a grey undercoat on and put 3 thin coats of yellow and 2 of the grey, the paints thin with water and brush really well.  I might give the yellow another coat but the grey is fine. 

Hello Steve,

What sort of undercoat did you use please ? I have a few departmental N gauge wagon kits which will need painting once built and I like the look of what you've achieved.

Regards,

Ian.

13 hours ago, 03060 said:

Hello Steve,

What sort of undercoat did you use please ? I have a few departmental N gauge wagon kits which will need painting once built and I like the look of what you've achieved.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian. 

I used Vallejo grey primer through my airbrush. I think you can use it straight from the bottle but I did add a few drops of thinner into the airbrush cup first, then mixed in the primer. 

Hope that helps.

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Hi Ian. 

I used Vallejo grey primer through my airbrush. I think you can use it straight from the bottle but I did add a few drops of thinner into the airbrush cup first, then mixed in the primer. 

Hope that helps.

Thanks Steve,

I can never remember which way around acryllic and oil based paints will or won't work with each other, I presume the Vallejo primer is oil based as you've used thinners and that the GW paints are acryllics as you've thinned them with water.

Sorry for the 'basics' question but it's been a while since I've gotten around to painting anything and particularly for N gauge models brush painting appeals more than airbrushing for some reason and I do like the smooth finish that you've achieved on this VDA.

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 03060 said:

Thanks Steve,

I can never remember which way around acryllic and oil based paints will or won't work with each other, I presume the Vallejo primer is oil based as you've used thinners and that the GW paints are acryllics as you've thinned them with water.

Sorry for the 'basics' question but it's been a while since I've gotten around to painting anything and particularly for N gauge models brush painting appeals more than airbrushing for some reason and I do like the smooth finish that you've achieved on this VDA.

Regards,

Ian.

As you say, oil based paints need a spirit based thinner but that’s not the case here.

Vallejo is acrylic. However, it still needs thinning down for spraying. Vallejo Air is thinned for airbrush use but sometimes needs a touch more thinning depending on what you’re up to. 

A thinner is a solvent. Luckily, in this case the solvent can be water… although Vallejo do market a thinner which is probably water with a touch of IPA or something similar.

Griff

10 hours ago, 03060 said:

Thanks Steve,

Regards,

Ian.

The Vallejo primer is acrylic and I used their brand thinner, which, I'm sure has got some IPA in it. I could have used water but I think thinners give paint an easier flow through the airbrush. I did give the primer a few days to harden and the GW paint was put on in thin coats thinned with a touch of water. I think the paint has worked well as the primer dried very matt and gave a good key for the top coat. I'll have to give them a go over a basic factory finish. I've seen a few modellers brush paint and been impressed by the results. I think the trick is to use a minimal amount of paint. 

• Thanks 1

The vans are all done and have received a coat of Matt varnish, all but one was MIG Ammo lucky strike, and the other was Windsor and Newton Galleria Matt varnish, which dried fantastically matt, through the airbrush. I'll leave them alone now for a month at least before any weathering, for it to really harden, and find something else to get on with. I'm really pleased with the 'Dutch ZRA' and thinking I'd like to model some more departmental wagons.

371059275_356715903412481_3004576969903803624_n.jpg.82680bb1e93dddc84a50a9e11ed92c40.jpg

399755343_559378489714803_690290008110039656_n.jpg.24e313edd452f6bab352f5fe4f900a1f.jpg

400193080_645902234387093_56675224379714423_n.jpg.56b5bf394d8bbb83317af51a32ab6e5e.jpg

• Like 12

• sb67 changed the title to Steve's 4mm workbench. Seacows next!

Next up these Hornby Seacows. I've painted the wheels with Railmatch sleeper grime and made a start on the interiors and shutes using Humbrol washes. I also used the Dust wash and faded the paint as a bit of an experiment and I'm pretty pleased how it came out. 

I have had trouble with the washes adhering to the ridiculously smooth surface of the models so may need to leave the washes to dry a bit longer before putting on another layer. 

I've also noticed that I've got to change the warning flashes and possibly the data panels as I'd like to replicate  80's wagons. 

377153145_1068473860843562_4200851257867605326_n.jpg.77586c4cc61cfaccb6e2cb4b1725cdd8.jpg

400337800_6891682034247008_6811947855170946872_n.jpg.db3ac85974e4c6103ba9721f044e6b9c.jpg

401027320_137988046073431_353871483505435380_n.jpg.f25846ad019629348dbdd37c6945d383.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

Next up these Hornby Seacows. I've painted the wheels with Railmatch sleeper grime and made a start on the interiors and shutes using Humbrol washes. I also used the Dust wash and faded the paint as a bit of an experiment and I'm pretty pleased how it came out. 

I have had trouble with the washes adhering to the ridiculously smooth surface of the models so may need to leave the washes to dry a bit longer before putting on another layer. 

I've also noticed that I've got to change the warning flashes and possibly the data panels as I'd like to replicate  80's wagons. 

377153145_1068473860843562_4200851257867605326_n.jpg.77586c4cc61cfaccb6e2cb4b1725cdd8.jpg

400337800_6891682034247008_6811947855170946872_n.jpg.db3ac85974e4c6103ba9721f044e6b9c.jpg

401027320_137988046073431_353871483505435380_n.jpg.f25846ad019629348dbdd37c6945d383.jpg

If you spray matt varnish onto shiny surfaces before weathering commences it improves things no end.

Mike.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've a question regarding the Hornby Seacow model, can anyone tell me what era it would represent as the ohw panels are more modern and the grey looks more like rail grey than departmental grey? 

Just wondered. 

• RMweb Premium
On 16/11/2023 at 22:08, sb67 said:

I've a question regarding the Hornby Seacow model, can anyone tell me what era it would represent as the ohw panels are more modern and the grey looks more like rail grey than departmental grey? 

Just wondered. 

The grey could vary a but, see for example:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsealion/h1024c886

Compared to:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsealion/hadb22de

I believe those warning symbols to be later than your period of interest.  Check out the rest of the photos in Paul Bartlett's collection for inspiration:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsealion

May also find they were more likely to be coded Sea Lion and be dual braked or air with vac through pipe at that time.

On 16/11/2023 at 22:08, sb67 said:

Just wondered. 

I think the overhead warnings put them in the post privatisation period Steve. 

Thanks @westernviscount, @Mark Forrest

I looked through the Paul Bartlett photo's and did a bit of research and it does seem that the grey varied massively due to weathering and fading etc so I might leave one light grey, the other one I'll repaint using Games workshop Dawnstone Grey.  It looks like the Sealion variant had a thinner yellow stripe at the top and black solebars. 

I think the Hornby Livery represents a 2006 wagon so the data panels and warning panels will be replaced, although the data panels are varied too. With the Seacows, the solebars seem to be painted the same colour as the bodywork as well so I'll address that, as the black on the solebar is painted on the body too, although yet again, weathering played a part. 

There does seem many variants and anomalies so I'll have to pick a photo and try to copy that. 

Ordered my transfers from Railtech in preparation!  

• Like 3