'Definitive' 4mm Class 47?

There have been several threads over the years debating the relative merits and demerits of the attempts of manufacturers to produce a top quality Class 47 in 4mm scale. The Bachmann model is, in the eyes of many, the best version currently available, whilst the Vitrains product has been lauded by some for its basic shape and derided by others for a plasticky finish and 'too many parts to fit' post-purchase. I have a soft spot for the Heljan 'Tubby Duff', despite its shortcomings in the girth department, and the venerable Lima model is often praised for the quality of the body moulding. The even older still Hornby product has been detailed beautifully by some modellers (on this very site) who have shown that even that quite basic starting point can be made to look fantastically realistic due to its fundamentally correct proportions.

I am starting this thread to chart my progress in a quest to produce a definitive model of the Brush Type 4, using proprietary models as a starting point and using after market detailing parts to enhance the finish to the absolute best of my ability. I'm aiming for perfection, but I know I won't achieve it! The locomotive that I have chosen to model in this venture is 47593 'Galloway Princess', my pet loco from its Eastfield/Inverness days in the 1980's.

I decided to attempt this 'ultimate 47' project as I had many spare parts from a variety of sources that I thought could be utilised. The body will be a Lima product picked up from the Nottingham show in March, and the chassis/running gear will be from a Bachmann Class 57 that I bought cheaply on Ebay. I have some Heljan bogie frames that can replace the Class 57 variant which is incorrect for a 47, and also some Heljan 47 battery boxes of the correct style for 47593. I will replace the moulded roof grilles with Extreme Etchings products and Lazerglaze will be utilised for the glazing. Wire handrails will replace the moulded ones.

Any input or suggestions regarding other detailing parts that could be used to make a really first class model would be gratefully received. Could anyone tell me if the boiler port blanking plate on the Lima moulding is correct for 47593?

I'd like to avoid this thread becoming one which argues over which is the best proprietary Class 47; that has been done before.

Pictured below are the basic starting points.

post-7084-0-75740300-1397048404_thumb.jpg

I always add phd etched steps as they look rather smart.

For my latest vi attack I'm going to try shawplan side cab windows. Buying them has just shown me how small the side windows are... I'm not sure if lima us affected though

Good luck and I shall follow with interest!

The parts I now seem to use for my class 47s, is Hornby screw links, Hornby class 56 pipes ( although ive been trying to find some for little while now), wire for the front grab rails, Replica headlights for the headlights, as Vi-trains, Bachmann, and even Limas' mouldings are all incorrect, The models also benefit from etched frames, particularly Lima's bodyshell as the cab side frames are too thick; which reminds me my one needs these parts buying at some point! hope this of some help

NL

The Heljan chassis will need to go on quite a diet to fit the Lima body - I was lucky that I have a friend with a milling machine. i stripped the chassis and we took about 1mm off of both sides - ie the chassis is now 2mm narrower overall. I also had to reprofile the tapers at each end with a file, and under the cooler group chamfer the top to clear the inside of the body moulding. I still have a little bit of faffing about to do but its nearly there - in fact has been for some time!

I haven't found a set of windscreen wipers for th 47 that look quite right. The best rtr offerings all look a bit heavy to me.

I've seen that a1 used to do an etch but I assume they're long gone.

I'm after one thats not flat and looks like a separate blade and wiper as per the prototype. Anyone got any suggestions?

• RMweb Gold

I haven't found a set of windscreen wipers for th 47 that look quite right. The best rtr offerings all look a bit heavy to me.

I've seen that a1 used to do an etch but I assume they're long gone.

I'm after one thats not flat and looks like a separate blade and wiper as per the prototype. Anyone got any suggestions?

Shawplan is your friend, full selection available.

Mike.

I too think that many of Limas offerings are worthy of a place in todays hobby, although my fleet of 47s awaiting detailing are from Bachmann. I have a stack of Lima 20's and 40's awaiting their turn on the bench and have used the Lima 31 body for my fleet.

With the improved standard of chassis/motor from Bachmann, Heljan, Hornby and the like, some smashing models can be achieved. I think I'm right in saying that no-one currently produces all the various boiler ports as a detailing part although these have been produced in the past.

I'm looking forward to progress with this one Adrian and you've made a good start by the looks of it.

Cheers.

Sean.

Archived