7mm King Street Goods

Barnaby

Hi Barnaby

Good to see that you've got the 'mojo' back. Health issues aside, something like a house project can take a lot of time and effort and the model railway takes a back seat ... as I quickly discovered!

Looking forward to seeing progress on the yard when you get the plasticene working!

Best wishes

Stephen   

Seeing the previous post from Stephen reminded me  that I needed to order some plasticine/Newplast. 

I have long admired Stephens models and the method he used to convey a rather tired rail yard.

Using Newplast which is a plasticine will be of advantage to me but I am a little concerned with its archival permanence so an order was placed today so that I can have a play to see if I can achieve what I want.

Tally ho

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the new build will be to change over from Lenz control to NCE as I have always thought their hammer head controller did the business.
Probably going to go for the starter system linked to a smartbooster 5 for that extra bit of power and additional features.

Hattons seem to have the best deal just now and have them in stock but Coastal DCC were very knowledgeable on the phone but didn't have the SB 5 available.

Best

• Like 1

Hello Simon.

I've always had a liking for the Hammer head NCE controller and their tech info is more intuitive for me.  The Lenz Anglo/fritz sprakenzi I found the need for an Enigma machine to decipher it.

Mine is the LH100 which I think is now upgradable to the LH101 which seems to combine the best of the 90 into the 100 eg you get a knob as well as some buttons to push.  I have the bigger transformer and some other Lenz accs too.

So I've really not got much logic to my choice other than that but if I like the NCE more then hopefully I'll get on with it better too and I am dismantling my old layout and about to start anew so now seems a good time to make a change if I want to.

So the Lenz stuff will soon sit on my shelf back in its original boxes ready to get put up for sale when I'm ready.

Best

I have an LH90 but rarely use it, I added a Roco Multimaus to the lens armoury to have a knob - throttle and I use that a lot

It works very well, direct plug in to the lens system

I think I paid about £80 on eBay

Best

Simon

LENZ. Not lens...

Sorry!

• Like 1

Part of the new build will be to change over from Lenz control to NCE as I have always thought their hammer head controller did the business.

Probably going to go for the starter system linked to a smartbooster 5 for that extra bit of power and additional features.

Hattons seem to have the best deal just now and have them in stock but Coastal DCC were very knowledgeable on the phone but didn't have the SB 5 available.

Best

You can achieve the same thing with a PowerCab and cheaper alternative boosters. Speak to Jeremy at Digitrains; he set me up with kit which cost around £50 ish for the booster and power supply combined.

Best regards,

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Been doing some Google-ing and found another DCC manufacturer that I'm very impressed with.  They are called Sig-na Trak and can be found here https://signatrak.co.uk/

post-1159-0-68284500-1548439724_thumb.jpg

I do like all the flexibility you get from the large display screen -- just what I've been looking for.

Several members on here have them and all says they are impressed with the kit and it's built in the UK.

Andrew P he of seven mills sidings has one running it.

I'll be getting in touch tomorrow with some shops to run through a few things but I'm expecting to get one.

Video>>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9esMlCu7E    the video link should work now.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

Main display.

post-9335-0-48206800-1548441300.jpg

Named full display for Class 25, Loco No 5191, Chip set ''C'', Green for momentary, Blue for latching, (change to which you want on setting up)

post-9335-0-33461900-1548441560_thumb.jpg

Hand Set display. (up to 4 hand sets).

post-9335-0-14797200-1548441780_thumb.jpg

Accessories, Points, Signals etc. (name as required).

post-9335-0-23423900-1548441685_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps as well Barnaby.

Now, I can see why that might appeal!

Enjoy!

Simon

With the function sets, (the one shown is ''C'') you can type in any function that is on your crib sheet, it saves trying to remember that on the Jinty for example, the Coal is 5, but on a Prairie its say 10. Also showing the high positions its quick and easy to instigate Guards whistle, Shunt Mode etc without even having to think about it.

If you have for example 2 Panniers, one with a Zimo Chip and one with an ESU Chip, you allocate different Set Numbers.

Conversely, should you have 2 panniers with the same Chip, you allocate both to the same Set Number, but still with different Loco / DCC Codes.

OR, a Pannier and a Jinty with the same Chip maker, i.e. Zimo for example, and the functions are in the same place, then again they can have the same Set Number, but still different sounds.

Barnaby,

If you do go the Sig-na Track route I would love to read your thoughts on the system.  I ran across its website a couple of years ago and have to say it is intriguing.  Even though I am firmly with MRC (Gaugemaster) Prodigy Express/Advance, I always enjoy hearing about other systems should I decide to "expand my horizons"  (yes, I'm an HO guy . . . . . well, let's play a bit with OO, ok, I'm a HO and OO guy ONLY. . .  .wait a minute this 7mm British O looks interesting . .  you get the picture).

• Like 1

Hello Dave.

I am quite sold on this piece of kit so I will post my findings once I get going.

Just to say at the outset that its display and clear approach is what appeals, no little screen with a few numbers on to read.  It lays everything out in a very empathetic way.

Best

• Like 1

Hello Ade just beat you to it as I have 5 mins ago just purchased 1x Ace 2 and 1x Hand controller. 

I spoke with the main man himself Fraser Black and he will be posting it out later today with me getting it on Tuesday.

He builds them in Batches of 100 and is just about to start a new build again to the same latest specification so you may want to get one of the few remaining PDQ.

It was reading Andy's posts that sparked my interest and did some google-ing and the more I searched the more intrigued I became.

Christmas is coming very early this year.  :sungum:

Regards

• Like 4

Hello Ade just beat you to it as I have 5 mins ago just purchased 1x Ace 2 and 1x Hand controller. 

I spoke with the main man himself Fraser Black and he will be posting it out later today with me getting it on Tuesday.

He builds them in Batches of 100 and is just about to start a new build again to the same latest specification so you may want to get one of the few remaining PDQ.

It was reading Andy's posts that sparked my interest and did some google-ing and the more I searched the more intrigued I became.

Christmas is coming very early this year.  :sungum:

Regards

Sounds good Barnaby, I hope you like it as much as George T and myself do. 

I've always been a DC person, but seeing this (and previously on Andy's threads) I am sorely tempted for when I do eventually get a layout up and running (Oh, roll on retirement!!)

DCC is still a very dark science to me, be being an avionics engineer in a past life, I'm sure I'll get to grips with it?!

Regards, Deano.

Today along with reading up on the downloaded manuals for the Ace 2 controller I am boxing up the Lenz 100 kit I have to be ready for sale.

I'll list what I have before I ebay it etc and if anybody wants it please give me a pm. Deffo talking a good deal to be made here.

EDIT:

1x Digital Plus LH100 controller.

1x Digital Plus LZV100 Command Station

1x Digital Plus TR 150/UK transformer

2x plug in controller accessories panels

It is little used, just some testing/general running done without any damage and in full working order.

I still have all the original documentation, manuals and their boxes.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Barnaby,

I'm popping into this conversation very late, just one thought occurs to me . Im not wishing to disrupt any decisions, and if you are purely looking at DCC as a way of manually controlling trains (and potentially accessories), then disregard this message totally!  

However, if you have any aspirations  (or in the future may wish) to look at, shall we say advanced DCC things, just give some thought to it.  I like the Signatrak system, but I view it as the modern day equivalent to the Hornby Double controller you got in starter sets.  It's good, and for running trains, using functions, changing points etc, it is simple and easy.  But if you want to look at any form of automation, or computer control it may need a bit more thought, as in my view there are more comprehensive systems around?  Something like Lenz and Digitrax you can easily connect to a PC, or purchase 'boards' to do certain things without needing a computer.  I admit my knowledge on non-Digitrax systems is not great and others will know better than me, but I'm not sure whether those option is available on a Signatrak system.   Like I say, there may be options (there certainly are with the Lenz kit) that I don't know about, but I thought it wise to just voice the query.  

However, no disrespect to you or anyone, but if your keeping it simple and manually controlling all aspects, then the Signatrak controller is probably one of the most intuitive around, and well priced too I think!  

Rich

• Like 1

Yes Rich I do want something more intuitive and visual so the Ace 2 looks good to me but your comments are valid too.

At my age 74+ simple is best which I'm applying across my modeling, so mainly RTR wagons and locos with dcc sound of course is the way I'm going. 

I'll be doing the scenic building and general weathering just so I can add some spot detailing. 

I've also reduced my layout size down to12ft max and I am having a shunty-plank to fit on the already made laser cut baseboard, simples..

All this means I will have some items available for sale.

Best.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes Rich I do want something more intuitive and visual so the Ace 2 looks good to me but your comments are valid too.

At my age 74+ simple is best which I'm applying across my modeling, so mainly RTR wagons and locos with dcc sound of course is the way I'm going. 

I'll be doing the scenic building and general weathering just so I can add some spot detailing. 

I've also reduced my layout size down to12ft max and I am having a shunty-plank to fit on the already made laser cut baseboard, simples..

All this means I will have some items available for sale.

Best.

Hi Barnaby,

Yes totally understand your situation - ignore my earlier message in that case!!  For what you've described there, the Signatrak controller should be ideal, and like Andy P's set up, its feasible to get a walkabout style controller to plug into it for convenience if you want to.

Sorry to hear your reducing stock tho, the one advantage with 7mm is that I've found it does not tend to lose value.

Rich

• Like 1