United Dairies milk tankers

Karhedron

I have noticed that Hattons have commissioned a run of weathered United Dairies N gauge mik tankers from Dapol. This is great as the Unigate ones only started to appear post 1959 and I am sure many retained their United Dairies detailing for a long time after this period.

Does anyone know how the weathering will be done? The factory weathering on the Silver Bullets has raised the bar for RTR finishes and if the UD tankers are being done to a similar standard I will order a rake right now. :D However if the finish is just the same as used on the tankers from the Hymek set I may give it a miss as I already have these.

Also does anyone know which version of UD livery is being produced?

Hattons have kindly contacted me to answer my questions so I thought I would share the anwers here. The weathering will apparently be similar to that on the tankers from the Hymek set. The livery will be the older UD livery as modelled on NB027.

http://www.ehattons.com/Trade/StockDetail.aspx?SID=17117

No word yet on a delivery date.

The factory weathering on the Silver Bullets has raised the bar for RTR finishes and if the UD tankers are being done to a similar standard I will order a rake right now.

I don't think we've actually seen the factory finish for the silver bullets yet. What I have seen was a one off special weathering done by Mercig as a template for the factory to try and replicate. I've not yet seen their results. Have you?

G.

I don't think we've actually seen the factory finish for the silver bullets yet. What I have seen was a one off special weathering done by Mercig as a template for the factory to try and replicate. I've not yet seen their results. Have you?

G.

Yes they have been shown on two Dapol news pages..

Production Silver Bullets

"The first factory finished models of the clean and weathered examples of this wagon are now posted on our OO gauge news pages within this web site."

http://www.Dapol.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=545&Itemid=64

This was all in 00 though not N gauge though I assume they can eventually raise the bar in N too, the Hymek tankers were a disappointing spatter gun approach.

Yes they have been shown on two Dapol news pages..

Production Silver Bullets

"The first factory finished models of the clean and weathered examples of this wagon are now posted on our OO gauge news pages within this web site."

http://www.Dapol.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=545&Itemid=64

This was all in 00 though not N gauge though I assume they can eventually raise the bar in N too, the Hymek tankers were a disappointing spatter gun approach.

So, as I suspected, the factory finish N gauge ones haven't been seen yet. In fact have we seen a sample weathered one in N gauge? Wonder when the N gauge ones, freshly outshopped or weathered, will be available.

G.

So, as I suspected, the factory finish N gauge ones haven't been seen yet. In fact have we seen a sample weathered one in N gauge? Wonder when the N gauge ones, freshly outshopped or weathered, will be available.

G.

No the sample was only in 00, in fact from the Kernow website i'm not even sure they commissioned it in both 4mm and N? Its only listed under the 4mm ltd editions.

No the sample was only in 00, in fact from the Kernow website i'm not even sure they commissioned it in both 4mm and N? Its only listed under the 4mm ltd editions.

While the silver bullets are coming in N gauge, I think you are right that the weathered ones are 00 only. :( It is a shame as Kernow have commissioned some lovely models recently that I would love in N gauge.

The D600 is at the top of my list.

While the silver bullets are coming in N gauge, I think you are right that the weathered ones are 00 only. :( It is a shame as Kernow have commissioned some lovely models recently that I would love in N gauge.

The D600 is at the top of my list.

Me too Karhedron - been looking at the D600 resin body and fuel tank mouldings produced by - 'it's n gauge' and shown in a post last year in the 'smaller suppliers' forum - I am just not sure that a 47 chassis and particularly bogies, albeit with a bit of butchery, is going to look the part of the Ivatt based bogie under a D600.

Anything hydraulic is spot on by me, and to return to the original post, I am keen to add to my string of 6 w milk tanks, some in the St Ivel livery with an orange stripe would be cracking - (Paul Bartlett website has a piccie of one at St Erth - very appropriate to Kernow) ?

Cheers Matt

Me too Karhedron - been looking at the D600 resin body and fuel tank mouldings produced by - 'it's n gauge' and shown in a post last year in the 'smaller suppliers' forum - I am just not sure that a 47 chassis and particularly bogies, albeit with a bit of butchery, is going to look the part of the Ivatt based bogie under a D600.

I know what you mean but I will still probably give it a go. I have a chinese 47 I picked up cheap when the new ones came out. I am hoping that it is the sort of detail you can get away with N gauge from "normal viewing distance". However Carl has a superb D600 Active on his Oxbury Town layout (see below).

http://oxburytown.fotopic.net/p30120743.html

http://www.railblue.com/pages/In%20Depth/hydraulic_pioneers.htm

I believe this is the Worsley works kit and built by Dave Jones of "N'thusiast". However he now works for Dapol and I believe he no longer does commission work. The WW kit is a bodyshell only so I don't know where the bogies come from, perhaps Dave would be able to give some advice even if he no longer does such work himself.

Anything hydraulic is spot on by me, and to return to the original post, I am keen to add to my string of 6 w milk tanks, some in the St Ivel livery with an orange stripe would be cracking - (Paul Bartlett website has a piccie of one at St Erth - very appropriate to Kernow) ?

Well if Kernow don't seem interested in N gauge special editions perhaps we should put our heads together and see if we can commision something ourselves (can't see SWMBO being very impressed with the idea ;)).

Yep, that looks spot on.

Maybe I will have to get one of the resin kits (it'd hopefully be a more self contained achievable project than the 3 car Swindon 120 DMU I have gathering dust in a box) !

I have been examining the bogies on my own high stepping 47 035 - does look like some judicious surgery could achieve passable results.

With regard to the milk tank in St Ivel livery at St Erth, just been looking on the Paul Bartlett website and must be my memory playing tricks on me, as it isn't there - but I have definitely seen a picture of a white and orange milk tank at St Erth somewhere !

The address below'll take you to a site confirming the livery.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/7-fops/fo-milk.htm

I'll let you know if I do do anything about the itching desire to add to the fleet !

All the best,

Matt

• RMweb Premium

"Tommy" is the nickname by which the EM1 class electric locos (later class 76) were known. E26001 was named "Tommy" by Dutch drivers during its extended stay over there and retained the name upon return to the UK once the Manchester - Sheffield electrification had been completed. The Co-Co class EM2 (as issued by Tri-ang / Hornby years ago) carried names from ancient Greek history, as did some later EM1 locos, but were not nicknamed so far as I am aware.

I don't think it's entirely the case that Kernow are ignoring the N gauge limited edition market as they have previously released some models into that area. It may be more that they are keenly aware of costs versus potential sales. 00 is still a much bigger seller and a special commission is a huge commercial risk.

I don't think it's entirely the case that Kernow are ignoring the N gauge limited edition market as they have previously released some models into that area. It may be more that they are keenly aware of costs versus potential sales. 00 is still a much bigger seller and a special commission is a huge commercial risk.

I agree and I cannot fault Kernow's reasoning on the commercial front. It is just the usual feeling when you see a shiny new offering in another gauge and wonder why it is not available in yours. ;)

There are/were various sources for suitable bogie frame outers - the EM2 kit is probably the nearest and MSL will sell bogie frames alone.

Yes the EM2 bogies do look pretty similar. Apparently the MSL ones are sized to fit the BachFar class 31 bogies. I wonder if they would fit the 47 bogies OK too?

EM2 (Class 77) Electric Locomotive 27000 "Electra" at Ilford depot

Yes the EM2 bogies do look pretty similar. Apparently the MSL ones are sized to fit the BachFar class 31 bogies. I wonder if they would fit the 47 bogies OK too?

EM2 (Class 77) Electric Locomotive 27000 "Electra" at Ilford depot

Ok - Karhedron/Etched Pixels, I am getting all tempted now - those bogie side frames do indeed look very passable.

What with a birthday coming up and all, (might be struggling to pay for childcare for 2 children but there is one of the legitimate, let the old man indulge himself in his hobby opportunities coming up), - maybe one of them there D600 bodies will be heading my way.

I'm a member of the n gauge society, and usually have a good idea about what people are referring to on here - but MSL has me stumped, can one of you erudite gents point me to a link cos I can definitely feel a cheque to 'its n gauge' and MSL coming on.

Rightio, Fox do appropriate transfers which'd do a D 600 (and allow for some renumbering of the D800s I already have)in N, has anyone got a tip for a source for nameplates (ideally D601 Ark Royal and some NBL diamond works plates either in transfer or etched)- had a look at Etched Pixels of this Parish's website, but didn't spot anything on there.

Does lead to all sorts of temptation looking at this here website. I'm off for a contemplative beer before I start getting too carried away.....

Good stuff,

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Ok - Karhedron/Etched Pixels, I am getting all tempted now - those bogie side frames do indeed look very passable.

What with a birthday coming up and all, (might be struggling to pay for childcare for 2 children but there is one of the legitimate, let the old man indulge himself in his hobby opportunities coming up), - maybe one of them there D600 bodies will be heading my way.

I'm a member of the n gauge society, and usually have a good idea about what people are referring to on here - but MSL has me stumped, can one of you erudite gents point me to a link cos I can definitely feel a cheque to 'its n gauge' and MSL coming on.

Rightio, Fox do appropriate transfers which'd do a D 600 (and allow for some renumbering of the D800s I already have)in N, has anyone got a tip for a source for nameplates (ideally D601 Ark Royal and some NBL diamond works plates either in transfer or etched)- had a look at Etched Pixels of this Parish's website, but didn't spot anything on there.

Does lead to all sorts of temptation looking at this here website. I'm off for a contemplative beer before I start getting too carried away.....

Good stuff,

Matt

Hi

http://www.msl-hobbies.com/

Cheers

Paul

Archived