Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

There's no late BR version yet - Blue Peter will fill that niche on this first issue.

Didn't the lower number plate go hand in hand with the lowered lamp-iron and split handrail, well into the late crest era?

Dave.

The number plate was placed high originally - I think as early as '54 locos had the number plate lowered to the smoke box strap and the lamp iron was placed between a split handrail from 61 onwards. Like the A1, A3 and Thompson A2's not all A2's had the split handrail mod.

D

For those interested, I have started a new picture of A2 60528 and have straightened the footplate and cutoff lever somewhat using photo tools, and begun a few other bits and pieces.. starting with the fuller version of the photo a few messages back.

I don't know to what extent Bachmann use digital enhancement in their catalogue photos, Hornby use it extensively, but neither stoop to the extremes I use.

Below are the original 'straight out of box picture, and the retouched version below that.

Rob

A2_bodywork_1a_r650.jpg

A2_2abcd_detail_r650ab.jpg

I will get a single chimney one at some point, but I seem to think the chances of one being seen between Darlington and York would have been very rare, unless running in from Doncaster :unsure:

The Railway Observer confirms that Blue Peter was at Plant in August 1958, and for some reason was retained "down South" for about three weeks, during which time it was seen quite regularly at Kings Cross. Some of the other rare birds did get down to London too, but not very often.

Just in case anyone's still looking for justification - single-chimney 60528, of Dundee Tay Bridge, at Hadley Wood.

Re my earlier post on Speedo drives. Isn't this omission much more obvious than the position of a lamp iron? According to the "Green Book" the class was originally fitted with the BTH drives, which was quiite a significant casting on the right side rear driver, and all were replaced in 1960/61 with the Stone type drive much as fitted to late crest Hornby exLNER Pacifics. Bachmann seem to ignore these items on the vast majority of their models although I have seen a drive fitted to a late crest Standard 5 in their range.

Re my earlier post on Speedo drives. Isn't this omission much more obvious than the position of a lamp iron? According to the "Green Book" the class was originally fitted with the BTH drives, which was quiite a significant casting on the right side rear driver, and all were replaced in 1960/61 with the Stone type drive much as fitted to late crest Hornby exLNER Pacifics. Bachmann seem to ignore these items on the vast majority of their models although I have seen a drive fitted to a late crest Standard 5 in their range.

Bachmann omitted this on the A1's too. I think they commented on this in mremag (a while ago) and stated that they'd had a lot of returns with he speedo broken on Standard 5's, as such they weren't going to add them to other prototypes.

There's a tension in so many areas on models fidelity to practicality. From tender gaps to over sized boiler bands. Lamp irons and speedo cables. Personally the correct "face" of a loco is important to me, and I'm glad that Bachmann are getting this right. Disappointed about the speedo cable yes.

I've wondered at the feasablity of attaching a Hornby one to the Bachmann A1 or A2., its available as a spare, attaching both ends is daunting however...

I think when Model rail did a model of Torando they build one up from plasticard. The BTH drive was modelled by Tony Wright on his A1 Bon Accord. Some carried the frame to the scrap yard.

I guess where I'm leading to is there are solutions. Shame that the omission needs a solution...

I've been looking over the loco for a few days trying to figure what isn't right about the footplate. If you look at where the footplate rises up in front of the cab, the graceful curves of the prototype have been captured but the depth of the lip is wrong. The prototype has a small lip where the horizontal plate of the footplate overhangs the vertical member making up the 'thickness. This vertical member carries the lining.

In the space between the top curve at the firebox and the bottom curve at the cab front there is a considerable depth to the plate overhang. It is wide enough on the top surface to carry a footstep and that depth is repeated on the underside as the plate passes along the outside of the firebox. Bachmann have continued the small lip over the entire length and between the curves. This is where I think the error is, as this should have a much increased plate overhang in this area.

I hope that all makes some kind of sense

There is a good view of the top of the plate here - http://georgestrainp.../p64136891.html

and a view of the underside showing the depth - http://kettlesgalore.../p63237572.html

I don't think the model captures this at all.

JD

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Nice photo Rob. Thanks for the illustration JD. Now it's pointed out you can see the depth of that section. I think the compromise here can be forgiven since it would have been a very tricky feature to reproduce in any case, especially with a casting.

Dave.

Thankyou Max,

I have darkened the pic a little as here, to suit my laptop LCD screen as opposed to my older TFT laptop...

Whatever the nature of exact detail for the running plate, it really is a beautiful model. I retouched the seam on the boiler, amongst other minor tweaks. Forgive me for perhaps falsifying the exact nature of the model here and there.

Also this and similar photos are in 'Questions and Answers' after a query about carriages for the Apple Green BR A2.

Rob

Peppercorn_A2_Fast_Goods_4a_crop2d.jpg

Rob - yu've got a real talent for these kind of photos - BB looks really beautiful. Did you do anything to make it more glossy?

Thankyou for the compliment.

I used a 60w tungsten bedside reading lamp close to the rear of the tender pointing forwards, with a tungsten filter setting in the Canon A620 camera. The moulding seam low on the boiler is painted out, and contrast and brightness is modified here and there, various parts are painted with a picture editing brush, bent, 'fettled' and so on but nothing at all has been done to the model itself.

Some might say that it's not an entirely honest photo, but I treat it as being rather unashamedly re-touched to give an appearance of the prototype

Cheers,

Robbie

Has anyone taken up the cab footplate issue with Bachmann in person at Warley? I would have thought it would be a reasonable question to ask them.

Is this a pre-production model? given the actual models are supposedly less than 4 weeks away, could be the finished item... Hope it is a pre-prod, the green looks a bit dull when compared to the rich shade of the 3mt above.

Other than that, and the black raves at the top of the tender - grr, looks very nice indeed! and NO (oversize!) OHL Flashes!! Memories of Cold winter/damp spring mornings alongside the ECML in the 1990s, waiting for BP!

Is this a pre-production model? given the actual models are supposedly less than 4 weeks away, could be the finished item... Hope it is a pre-prod, the green looks a bit dull when compared to the rich shade of the 3mt above.

Doubt it's pre-prod given that 525 and 60537 are in the shops. The colour could be due to lighting and taking piccies into a display cabinet.

'moving heaven and earth'...

I am left asking the question Why?

For the Hornby Mallard 70 Gold Edition, I understand that they loco came in a normal box, with the presentation box supplied empty, both boxes within an outer carton.

Is there a reason why Bachmann can't do the same thing. Reboxing 1000 models is asking for the odd bit of damage is it not.

Certificate can be included in wooden box, then ship out the locos in their original packaging along with a wooden box.

Say each reboxing takes 2 minutes, plus a bit extra for sorting certificate paperwork, you're talking about between 33 and 35 man hours, i.e. one employee-week. OK so shipping to shops probably costs less because of a lower volume of package, but my guess is that weight is more significant, and the weight of a normal Bachmann box is small.

i spoke to some one on the Bachmann stand. Should be at the factory 2nd week in December. They've then got to quote "move heaven and earth to get them re-boxed".

Visited Warley today (Sun) and also asked about Blue Peter & was told should be mid to late Dec also told no more 60537 till around same time! Colour of Blue Peter in show case same as other BR green A1's, 2's. On a final note ref smokebox number/handrail detail, Mods were started Nov 1954 (lowered number & lamp iron except 60534 number only). In 1962 A2's shopped at Doncaster for heavy repair had lamp irons lowered further along with fitting of split handrails. Loco's completed this way were 60527/8/30/2/3/5. Please don't shoot the messenger this info comes from RCTS part 2A along with pics from other books on th A2, hope it helps. I am just completing first Bronzino so will try & put picture on when finished.

cheers

Ian H

Visited Warley today (Sun) and also asked about Blue Peter & was told should be mid to late Dec also told no more 60537 till around same time! Colour of Blue Peter in show case same as other BR green A1's, 2's. On a final note ref smokebox number/handrail detail, Mods were started Nov 1954 (lowered number & lamp iron except 60534 number only). In 1962 A2's shopped at Doncaster for heavy repair had lamp irons lowered further along with fitting of split handrails. Loco's completed this way were 60527/8/30/2/3/5. Please don't shoot the messenger this info comes from RCTS part 2A along with pics from other books on th A2, hope it helps. I am just completing first Bronzino so will try & put picture on when finished.

cheers

Ian H

Here is pic of 60539 with modified smokbox door (number lowered to top hinge & top lamp iron lowered.

Cheers

Ian H

post-4401-075970400 1290424958_thumb.jpg