Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

Thanks for the update - at work I've limit access to information.

Does that mean Peterborough North will see a couple of Bachmann A2's?

And I almost wish that they could be persuaded to do an A2/3 gota be time for a retooled v2!

great northern:-

Never say never David. The Railway Observer confirms that Blue Peter was at Plant in August 1958, and for some reason was retained "down South" for about three weeks, during which time it was seen quite regularly at Kings Cross. Some of the other rare birds did get down to London too, but not very often. As to 60536, that was always, apart from the first couple of years of its life, a Haymarket engine. You may be thinking of 60538, which was at Gateshead.

As was 60539 Bronzino often seen at Grantham and frequently in published photographs on Grantham Loco.

davidw:-

And I almost wish that they could be persuaded to do an A2/3 gota be time for a retooled v2!

As well as an updated B1 for easy DCC Conversions.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, David, there will be 2 A2's on the new layout. 60533 is a "must have", shedded at New England or Grantham most of the time. For that reason I already had Happy Knight on the old layout, built from the DJH kit. I will have one more, if for no other reason that I want to support Bachmann, and Hornby for that matter, when they produce something for the LNER. I did consider Blue Peter, as I have the information to prove it did work through Peterborough more than once during my chosen and very restricted time frame.

However, I already have an ex works Haymarket A3, Grand Parade, which I have a photo of on New England at the right time. I do not remember ever seeing more than two Scottish pacifics in one day, other than at Doncaster, so I feel it would be pushing the bounds of possibility a bit far. For that reason, a filthy Sugar Palm will be my choice.

How dare you suggest a RR A2/3? ;) I've paid out a small fortune to acquire some kit built ones.I'm surprised that a state of the art V2 hasn't appeared, and I should have more than the five that already exist. B1 is a good bet too I should think, but hey, we must avoid w*** lists!

When Hornby discovers the sales of its A3s and A4s are levelling out no matter what new liveries and names are applied, they will turn their attention to something shiny and new.....Thompson Pacifics. Safest bet yet.:D

The famed P2 might never come to pass, but who could resist the A2/2 'Cock 'O the North'....

If anyone out there is wanting a new A2 renamed/renumbered I can recommend trying Peasholm models who will do an excellent job for around £30-£35. I have had some A4s done and the service was quick and excellent.

I must admit to knowing Ian of Peasholm models, but I have no connection with the business, just my own personal experience of a first class job.

Mike :D

(Try google, Peasholmmodels.net) I think!

Mike J said:-I must admit to knowing Ian of Peasholm models, but I have no connection with the business, just my own personal experience of a first class job.

Likewise Mike I must admit to knowing Ian of Peasholm models, but I have no connection with the business, just my own personal experience of him as a person of great Honesty & Integrity. Kind of one of "The Old School" I am very pleased to say. Has a super DCC Layout called "Haymarket Cross" which I believe is appearing at Hull MRS Exibition in just over a weeks time.

• Like 1

OK here we go! Speedo Drives? As usual Bachmann do not seem to wish to add this usually prominent detail to any of their models, but photos show that the majority of A2's had the earlier standard type as fitted to most other ex LNER Pacifics. Anybody got chapter and verse? Please include any sources for castings or mouldings. Have checked through Yeadon's books and also Irwell "Book of" but no firm details as to type, when fitted etc. My main interest is late crest BR.

OK here we go! Speedo Drives? As usual Bachmann do not seem to wish to add this usually prominent detail to any of their models, but photos show that the majority of A2's had the earlier standard type as fitted to most other ex LNER Pacifics. Anybody got chapter and verse? Please include any sources for castings or mouldings. Have checked through Yeadon's books and also Irwell "Book of" but no firm details as to type, when fitted etc. My main interest is late crest BR.

I could not see anything in the RCTS Green Book on a quick flick through. Photograhic evidence shows several locos had them fitted in the late crest period.

bernard

Likewise Mike I must admit to knowing Ian of Peasholm models, but I have no connection with the business, just my own personal experience of him as a person of great Honesty & Integrity. Kind of one of "The Old School" I am very pleased to say. Has a super DCC Layout called "Haymarket Cross" which I believe is appearing at Hull MRS Exibition in just over a weeks time.

As you know Mr. Cutler we will be right beside Haymarket Cross with The North of England Line at Hull show, and I will have the pleasure of operating HC at Doncaster next year. Hopefully three of the new A2s will be on shed at Hull!

Guest Max Stafford

I checked mine out Garry. I'm not sure if it's a very slight kink of the footplate at that spot or not. The red cheat line however does wander south a little which I think exaggerates the impression slightly. The opposite side of the cab is fine.

Dave.

Hi Garry,I would have to agree with you,dare I say that the pony truck looks as though the wheels are too small a diameter.

Thats not possible of course,but it seems the most likely explanation other than the possibility that we both have wonky eyes!!!.

Mind you 60537 Bathchelor's Button really looks the "Dogs" and I am as Sick as a Parrot having gone over to 7mm last year.

11 out of 10 to Mr Bachmann for that one.

Lets face it you 4mm lot are not just Spoilt your Ruined and if you really think thats jealousy then Rugby,Cricket and Footbal to you's.

Kindest Regards in Jest,Lincolnshire.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe the different lining exagerates an optical illusion.

The edge of the bottom of the cab and firebox look to be the same angles as the BR version.

And the cab roof seems to match the same area of the tender height but the height of the cab seems lower!

Strange one :blink: ;)

I checked mine out Garry. I'm not sure if it's a very slight kink of the footplate at that spot or not. The red cheat line however does wander south a little which I think exaggerates the impression slightly. The opposite side of the cab is fine.

Dave,whilst your point seems to redeem Backy,if you put a straight edge along the Tender Bottom and Cab Bottom on the Photograph of 60537 it is dead straight but on 60528 it shows that the cab deviates. Could just be that Garry is unlucky?

Kind Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Gold

Dave,whilst your point seems to redeem Backy,if you put a straight edge along the Tender Bottom and Cab Bottom on the Photograph of 60537 it is dead straight but on 60528 it shows that the cab deviates. Could just be that Garry is unlucky?

I have not bought one.....yet.

The pictures are off Hattons site as per my original post :)

Edit.

Having said that, you are still right, I am unlucky.....in a lot of things lol......

• RMweb Gold

DER!!

aother senior moment Garry,you did say about the photo's.Just realised why my folk christened me DER!!ek.

:lol:

We both need a dose of the luck virus.

And anyone who watches Red Dwarf will know what I mean :D

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Giving the entire footplate of '528 the once over, there is in fact a certain amount of distortion along the length of the running plate on both sides, suggesting a problem with the footplate casting. In fairness, such undulations are not unknown on full-size engines as I have seen photos of Coronations, Jubilees and Scottish designs all displaying a degree of undulation on the running plate, but that on the A2 is a bit more pronounced.

On the whole though, it's not troubling me that much from a visual standpoint and it's far less evident on the dark green loco.

A quick heads-up to Bachmann wouldn't hurt though in case they haven't picked up on it.

Wonder if these were on Garry's container ship...! :D

Dave.

• Like 1