RMweb

Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

Yes, agreed, but as "532" with "LNER" on tender, not "60532" with "British Railways" on tender.

Can someone clarify as to whether BP was running (as opposed to being towed) on the mainline during the 1970s.

I can confirm that I saw BP in Derby en route from somewhere to Tyseley and it was travelling light engine under its own steam without any assistance.

I personally don't ever remember Bachmann promising this model for Christmas 2009, and having just looked through the winter 2009 collectors club mag they have in it the pictures of the first test shot from the tooling, and as anyone will know it usually takes Bachmann 6+ months from that stage to actually release the model so it should have been obvious back then that is was never going to be a Christmas 2009 release!

Cheers, Richard

Actually the whole story is as follows; Bachmann announced the A2 models at their July Trade days in July 2008. At their New Year Show at a hotel in Leicester during February(?) 2009 they were in the catalogue along with the 2EPB. Bachmann invited trade orders and Graham Hubbard himself said that both the A2 and 2EPB would be out by Christmas. Some wit said words to the effect of "yes but which Christmas?" G H almost exploded with rage and said this Christmas. Well that was Christmas 2009 and the trade were lead to believe until very late last year that these models would be out for Christmas 2009, then early in the New Year 2010 etc etc etc.

As of today I believe that the 2EPBs have regressed until into 2011 and the Blue Peter model who knows. I do not expect miracles nor am I interested in rushed models reaching the shelves with imperfections. All I ask is for Bachmann to now make a definitive statement as to when we can realistically expect to see these models. Why is simply telling the truth such a problem?

Latest info: Models now supposed to be @ Barwell, being repackaged into wooden boxes, staff working over weekend to allow dispatch to dealers next week in time for Christmas arrival @ dealers. However if you are purchasing mail order it is going to be very tight for the model to turn up in your Christmas Stocking!

Latest info: Models now supposed to be @ Barwell, being repackaged into wooden boxes, staff working over weekend to allow dispatch to dealers next week in time for Christmas arrival @ dealers. However if you are purchasing mail order it is going to be very tight for the model to turn up in your Christmas Stocking!

I will say again, why don't they just dispatch the locos as arrived, with the presentation box seperate. Dealer supplies both items to customer. Unless freighting out double the volume of goods to dealers is much more than employing staff OVER WEEKEND (i.e. Overtime) to get the job done. This cannot be cheap....!

But if they manage it, Well Done Bachmann!

• RMweb Premium

My brother has just returned from the local model shop with one of these beasts, I've had a quick glance, looks good, I reckon the box is the best bit tho! :lol:

Cheers Richard

Edit : should have mentioned it's BLUE PETER that he has just come home with, not ne of the others which have been around for a while :rolleyes:

Guest Max Stafford

An interesting mixing of metaphors - but perhaps now that its here the bird in the hand will save a stitch in time!

j

Hopefully this one won't s**t on the wrist...! ;)

Dave.

Well, something of a story to tell in my getting my mitts on 60532, which echoed one of my first encounters with the real thing.

COLLECTING 60532

Phonecall yesterday saying she was had arrived. Having various doctorate-related things to finish off this week in the office (namely a paper being presented next week!), I decided to go off straight away (i.e. procrastination). Off I slipped and slid to the station to get a train to Stevenage...

First Capital Connect performing as expected in this weather, i.e. massive interruptions to service (understandable), and little/no information (not acceptable!). What information they did provide was wrong!

After an hour standing around on a cold platform, gave up and went back to office!

This morning, up bright an early, off again, got on one train fine, then spent a (cold) hour waiting to change trains, again no info (I get suspicious when a scheduled train (Class 365, max 100mph), which clearly hasn't left its origin about 20 miles away, stays a steady 'due in 10 minutes' over a 45 minute period, with the time lag maintained through additional 4 minutes added... every 4 minutes).

Enough rambling. The ironic thing is that one of my first sightings on 60532 on the Main Line was when she was on a 'massively delayed' (at 1.5hrs I think) tour from KGX. I stood around on the platform, in the damp for ages. She came eventually!

A similar length of delay was needed in getting hold of my 1:76 scale version!!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Absolute beauty, very rich brunswick green, and generally fantastic (although not sure about the green regulator rodding, and the lining might be slightly over-orange!). Though I cringe to say this, the box is a nice bit of carpentry, and with the spongy protective foam probably worth the extra £10!

Haven't had her out in front of my colleagues (only just peeped into the box!), but pics to follow when I get home. Worth the wait Bachmann!!

Now back to work...

EDIT - home too late to get loco out and take pics. Will try tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Had to pay for mine over the phone as my old card was expired. Hopefully 'Pierre bleu' will be here before Christmas. Might wrap it up as a present from Abi the dog! :)

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

That'll be the cylinder lining. It's not meant to be there, there's nothing that can't be fixed with relative ease. I do need to get a move on and sort out 60528 and 60530 too. It appears that my mid '60s 'pacific fleet' is now complete! :)

Dave.

It's good to hear that people are now getting their hands on BP. Following the information from Barwell that they hadn't yet arrived I know there was substantial effort from many members of staff working flat out to get the BPs into their wooden boxes and out to the retailers for Christmas. Sometimes when I see criticism directed toward manufacturers it's frustrating when I can see their side of going the extra mile to keep customers and retailers as happy as possible and keep their business turning over, all happening quietly behind the scenes.

If those people hadn't dug in behind the scenes there wouldn't have been BPs this side of Xmas.

• Like 7

Guest Max Stafford

Raising a glass to those very folks here Andy. Too often these people are forgotten behind hysterical headlines, just like the people bursting their @rses to get snow-clad runways open and others grafting under -14 temperatures to repair damaged overhead wires.

Think of them all tonight as you head for your warm beds, guys!

Dave.