Inappropriate and annoying adverts

Hi guys is there or could there be an option in My Settings so that I can have the choice to turn off the advert that now appears at the bottom of each post about 95% of the ones that are there are pointless and nothing to do with model railways.

It would be nice to have the choice please?

Pete 

I find most ads intrusive on all sites but accept the realities that they support the cost of running the sites.

However, it would at least be useful if you could select from lists your particular modelling interests so at least they are relevant and advertising things I might be vaguely interested in if I have to put up with them on my screen.

Hi Pete,

The Google Adsense block only appears at the bottom of Layout and Hornby topics and is a test at present. It's proven to be, through other group sites, a viable income generator toward site running costs (and my wages!) and is there for a reason.

The ads will depend on your browsing history and relevance to site content. Sometimes they do seem irrelevant and there is an X in the top right of the ad where you can mark the individual as ad as repetitive, irrelevant or inappropriate and you won't see that particular ad again. There's also a small 'play' arrow where you can as a Chrome user tailor the sort of ads you receive further (or help them to find out more about you if you take the opposite view).

Yes, Chrome.

Hmmm, I was seeing an X until I went into Google's Ads settings from it and removed some of the categories etc. Google thinks I'm over 65 based on the websites I use. :P

• RMweb Premium

I can't see the X and the 'Adchoices' button doesn't do anything on my PC (using IE).

post-10897-0-47764500-1397650866_thumb.jpg

To be honest, this part of the page now looks so messy it's hard to tell where the function buttons stop and the Ad begins - at least put a box round it to partition it off from the rest of the page!...earlier today I accidently hit an Ad and got caught up in my work's blocking software - I didn't even know what Ad it was now!

It may generate income in some way but is a step backwards for me as a User I'm afraid.

David

Ok Andy

Thank you for the info I do understand why you are trialing the adds but It would be a good idea to have an option to turn it off for an individual member in there settings?

It's bad enough all the junk mail that comes through the post I as one don't want to be subjected to it when I view RM Web and would like an option not to see it please.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

The adverts are not from RMweb. They are being put there by something on your own system, or by your internet provider.

Sorry Andy, I stand corrected. I'm not happy to see ads not related to model railways. Surely Warners have enough ad customer contacts from BRM magazine to fill this slot?

Pete, if you are using Firefox install the BlockSite add-on. Then block this site:

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/

Result -- no more ads. :)

Martin.

It's bad enough all the junk mail that comes through the post I as one don't want to be subjected to it when I view RM Web and would like an option not to see it please.

A hypothetical question; would you be prepared to pay not to see it?

im not sure why they all show lingerie? :D

I am. ;)

Interestingly as I've not given Facebook much info in terms of a profile on their pages they serve me ads typical for males and it's mostly 'mature' ladies. ;)

• RMweb Premium

I use another non railway related forum that has these adverts on every page - but for £10 a year you can become a 'supporter' and it's well worth paying to not see all that  crap  adverts every time you open a topic

• RMweb Premium

For me it is not a matter of being prepared to pay not to see it. My work computer settings mean that sites with adverts like this are blocked so I will not be able to view RMweb at work if these ads spread to all parts of the site. Since 80% of my visits to RMweb are during my lunch break at work I can see that RMweb is going to become a thing of the past for my which is very sad as I value the site and the helpful people here.

Andy

I would not as I'm sure you can guess, it's a case of being given the option to view it as with the television if you don't want to watch something you turn over, do you want people to go to other forums rather than just a simple option to view?

Pete

Andy

I would not as I'm sure you can guess, it's a case of being given the option to view it as with the television if you don't want to watch something you turn over, do you want people to go to other forums rather than just a simple option to view?

Pete

Hopefully others didn't take that view when I did ads for you even if they weren't of direct relevance to the reader?

• Administrators

Andy

Pete

Yes - but you are still paying for the TV content if you watch it or not through a licence fee and the money you spend on advertised products in shops.

This is a challenging area that much of the mainstream media has struggled with. The Times and Sun sit behind paywalls. Anyone who doesn't want to pay goes to other papers who don't charge. Most of those are losing money like it is going out of fashion because they have to provide fascilities (bandwidth, servers, support) to look after traffic that has decided it won't pay for anything.

The chances of anyone selecting to view adverts are nil - so you won't sell adverts. Which begs the question - who pays for RMWeb? Warners are a commerical company, if the benfit is less than the cost then the only way to stay in business is to ditch the loss-making operation. If adverts (which you can ignore) make the difference then they are a necessary evil in the same way that junk mail keeps the postal service afloat.

One thought - if no-one responds to the adverts, why does anyone advertise?

I find the adverts on here - where ever they might actually be - doesn't really detract from my use of RMWeb.

The Google type ads don't catch my eyes, and the other ads that are railway or modelling related don't really interest me at the moment.

I do have one question thought, would it be possible to have a 'thread stream' where all the adds are grouped together, almost like a traders directory?

• RMweb Premium

I am. ;)

Interestingly as I've not given Facebook much info in terms of a profile on their pages they serve me ads typical for males and it's mostly 'mature' ladies. ;)

Whilst this might be amusing and completely acceptable to some folks on here I do have a problem with ads like that when they appear while I'm showing something onscreen to my children at home; I have gone through the whole ad-blocking/choices/filtering process but Google seems to be able to side-step these somehow which is very irritating.  Secondhand railway sleeper sellers are innocuous enough, but if anything else comes up I'll have to exit the page...

The Ads on the main page don't get in the way of navigating a Thread; these new ones do IMO - again, maybe a box around the Ad and some space from the navigation buttons might be in order if they are to remain.

BTW, as a BRM subscriber and supporter of the Warners shows etc. I had thought I was funding RMweb by proxy; in which case I did think I would have a say as to whether or not these new Ads were appropriate.  If, as Phil now says, Warners need to raise additional funds via these Ads to keep RMweb going, what did we benefit financially from the tie-in?

I'm trying not to be controversial or stir the pot, but I think these are valid points...

David

Andy

Back in the day when RM Web for want of a better word "Independent" we had an agreement between us and you were remunerated for posting adds for me.

This is not a personal dig or anything like that directed towards you.

I just want the option not to view the Add in My Settings please?

Pete

BTW, as a BRM subscriber and supporter of the Warners shows etc. I had thought I was funding RMweb by proxy; in which case I did think I would have a say as to whether or not these new Ads were appropriate.  If, as Phil now says, Warners need to raise additional funds via these Ads to keep RMweb going, what did we benefit financially from the tie-in?

I see that point (and not denying you having a say at all) and I'd hazard a guess that Warners would be quite happy to provide it ad-free if everyone who uses RMweb each month were a subscriber as you are. ;)

Archived