Inappropriate and annoying adverts

• Administrators

BTW, as a BRM subscriber and supporter of the Warners shows etc. I had thought I was funding RMweb by proxy; in which case I did think I would have a say as to whether or not these new Ads were appropriate.  If, as Phil now says, Warners need to raise additional funds via these Ads to keep RMweb going, what did we benefit financially from the tie-in?

I didn't say Warners HAD to raise fund this way, I'm not privy to the finances. What I said was that Warners is a commerical organisation and as Mickey says, "Everything costs money". If RMWeb were restricted to BRM subscribers then presumably that would be a way around the problem. I'd suspect (again, no data to support this) that most users of this site aren't BRM subscribers and therefore get to use it for free. That's fine, the larger the crowd the more discussions and assistance taking place. It's still got to be paid for, hence the ads.

I use Firefox and Adblock plus and haven't seen an advert anywhere on the internet for about 8 years (although saying that, some of the other RMweb banners do seem to get through, but I don't actually mind those).

Ad supported sites are an unfortunate necessity for a lot, but with very little effort you can get rid of them (in fact I had to turn Adblock plus OFF to see what you were all talking about....

Marcus.

• RMweb Gold

I have not seen any such ads. Perhaps we Johnny Foreigners escape? As French advertising is dire beyond belief - much less sophisticated than the UK in content and budget - I sincerely hope so. But, as has been said, as freebies go, RMweb is really a bit of a bargain, so I'll learn to cope if it happens.

I hope that some sort of "advertising standards" policy exists - having seen flashing, bouncing, glaring and generally obnoxious adverts on other sites I would hope that we would at least be exempt from having to suffer those.

I've given internal comments on bouncy-flashy animated stuff and such like and asked for some to be re-worked before now so I do try to maintain some standards but it's also fair to say that ads could be a bit more imaginative/creative/engaging/enticing but thankfully I don't have chance to do the creative for such stuff.

• RMweb Gold

I must have a personal ad filter in my brain as I hadn't noticed any until I read this thread.

Now I know abut them I realise they are there but I still don't notice them.

I have to admit I often don't even notice adverts in magazines when they only occupy a part of a page when I'm reading an article.

David

Hmmm, I was seeing an X until I went into Google's Ads settings from it and removed some of the categories etc. Google thinks I'm over 65 based on the websites I use. :P

Your photo makes you look it, as well!!!!!!!!!!    :no:  :no:  :no:

Phil

PS - Just as well you haven't seen a photo of me!

I am. ;)

Interestingly as I've not given Facebook much info in terms of a profile on their pages they serve me ads typical for males and it's mostly 'mature' ladies. ;)

Now I'm beginning to understand why I'm getting ads from "ladies" in Thailand.

Do you think Facebook will remember what I've included in my profile if I delete some of the information?  :no:

Phil

One of the annoyances with the big media ad-serving sites is that a page is configured not to 'work' (internal links etc) until the ads have been served. For some sites, none of the content is served until the ads are in place and running their tracking scripts.

Interesting.. When I click the adchoices button and open my profile I'm suddenly called 'Willeke' and am a woman. Should make for some interesting ads popping up...

BTW, Willeke is my wife, and she seldom uses this computer . But she does have a google account, and I don't.

If they ever do find out who uses this computer the most, I might be in need of a Rhino pop up blocker. Can anybody recommend a good one? Some other members on here might also like one...

PS I don't like the advert thing, but as long as it helps in keeping this site going and open for all, I can tolerate it as a necessary evil.

• RMweb Gold

I have not seen any such ads. Perhaps we Johnny Foreigners escape? As French advertising is dire beyond belief - much less sophisticated than the UK in content and budget - I sincerely hope so. But, as has been said, as freebies go, RMweb is really a bit of a bargain, so I'll learn to cope if it happens.

You and me both Ian - I was puzzled by the OP in this thread and having read all the way through it I am still as puzzled now as I was when I started.  Did someone really mean an ad beneath every post or did he mean the one that appears (but not in this thread) at the bottom of the page?

• RMweb Gold

hilarious to see an advert for TrakMat at the bottom of ANTB today. No not the Hornby product but a 12" to the foot civil engineering plastic roadway! I bet they're really pleased with the value they get from the fee they pay Google LOL

A hypothetical question; would you be prepared to pay not to see it?

I see that point (and not denying you having a say at all) and I'd hazard a guess that Warners would be quite happy to provide it ad-free if everyone who uses RMweb each month were a subscriber as you are. ;)

To answer the hypothetical question - yes I would be happy to pay a subscription (to RMWeb) to be free of ALL adverts, but as part of the subscription I would want a traders directory, so that if I wanted a certain part, I could find a "recommended" supplier.

However, I am not fantastically enthused about BRM as a magazine, and as such I have no interest in subscribing to as either a print or digital publication.

hilarious to see an advert for TrakMat at the bottom of ANTB today. No not the Hornby product but a 12" to the foot civil engineering plastic roadway! I bet they're really pleased with the value they get from the fee they pay Google LOL

But there are people from Network Rail who contribute to various threads on here, you never know . . . .

;)

• RMweb Gold

hilarious to see an advert for TrakMat at the bottom of ANTB today.

That's one of the nicest compliments anyone has ever given my layout Colin.Cheers.I assume it is a compliment. ;) 

Probably shouldn't say this, but no ads appear at all on my Mac desktop.  Perhaps it's got ad block installed and I'm not aware of it.  If it has, it works bloomin' well….:-)

I thought it was because I'm in the USA (Ian D can't see them either in France) it's probably a combination of the two, I suppose. Now I'm missing Milfs in Underwear? Must complain....(and therein lies Andy's dichotomy).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Probably shouldn't say this, but no ads appear at all on my Mac desktop.  Perhaps it's got ad block installed and I'm not aware of it.  If it has, it works bloomin' well….:-)

I do get the ads at the head of the page - which are all modelling relevant anyway of course - and I get some ads at the foot of a page but only occasionally.  However my brain usually switches out when an ad appears so apart from wasting space in a thread they wouldn't have the slightest impact on me as i would ignore them.

I am deeply disappointed not to see ads for 2mm bore hornblocks and 24mm span spring castings with proper J-hangers. Google is effing useless.

I'm pretty sure I glimpsed a pair of J-hangers in one of the pop-ups.

Archived