The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

The English Versailles - Boughton House, near Kettering Northamptonshire. A bit of a hidden gem as it's usually only open to the public at Easter and during August.

post-9751-0-69377900-1502886437.jpg

post-9751-0-52579600-1502886485.jpg

Poo and a polo mint? Apparently the sculpture is titled "Lifeflow" 

post-9751-0-03777400-1502886539.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

...wedded blitz is easier:

I love that.  I must remember it when a suitable opportunity arises with Mrs 4630.

• Like 1

The English Versailles - Boughton House, near Kettering Northamptonshire. A bit of a hidden gem as it's usually only open to the public at Easter and during August.

Thanks for the info and photos. Swmbo and myself visited Boughton yesterday. Lovely place. Didn't have time to fully see the gardens. The current Duke of Buccleugh has carried out extensive work on the gardens to create water features, lost when the house was put into mothballs in the late 1700s for over 120 years. Also fascinated with the unfinished wing on the left hand side, looks completed from the outside, but no plaster, ceiling or upper floor when you see inside, v. eerie.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Also fascinated with the unfinished wing on the left hand side, looks completed from the outside, but no plaster, ceiling or upper floor when you see inside, v. eerie.

There are several stately home that are like that, some wings are completely roofless. This was a consequence of death duties going up to 98% in the late 40s early 50s. Meaning the only way the family owners could afford to keep any part of the house was to make some of it valueless... IIRC 3 stately homes a month were being destroyed in that period, because of the tax rate.

There are several stately home that are like that, some wings are completely roofless. This was a consequence of death duties going up to 98% in the late 40s early 50s. Meaning the only way the family owners could afford to keep any part of the house was to make some of it valueless... IIRC 3 stately homes a month were being destroyed in that period, because of the tax rate.

I believe in this case it was connected with the cessation of the male line of the Dukes of Montagu, the Dukes each carrying out a number of building extensions during the Georgian period (as every Duke did), the estate was inherited in the late 1700s by a female heir, as her brother had died before the last Duke of Montagu died. Under English succession law at that time, a female descendant could not have the Duchess title except by marriage. The heir married the Duke of Buccleugh, who was based in Scotland and moved their, leaving Boughton unoccupied and the wing unfinished, for about 120 years until the family started to use it again in the 20th century. This wing is roofed, has chimneys and fire place openings on the plasterless walls and even beams for the first floor unfitted floorboards. It also has a doorway and door from the State rooms on the first floor. Best keep that locked in case visiting royalty go walkabout!

Edited by rembrow

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

PS Wherry  is a good pint as well,

attachicon.gifwnabott-_wherry__1_1.jpg

Quite partial to Nog myself! 

For the first time in ages a day off coincided with some nice weather, so i packed up the drone and headed down to Beachy Head. It's been on the 'to do' list for a while but due to the distance needed decent weather to make it worthwhile. Hopefully it was worth it:

A stunning piece of geology. 

Tom. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Out last weekend doing "Father of the Bride" duty. Tremendous weekend, can't beat a good village wedding complete with vintage Morris Minor, Sunday lunchtime in the pub with various old friends and relatives I don't see very often before final dispersal.

Ironically, mercifully free of various manifestations of an England unknown to me but apparently, familiar to my good wife, particularly Vernon Scripps' bombastic, wheezing, whining tones...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Out last weekend doing "Father of the Bride" duty. Tremendous weekend, can't beat a good village wedding complete with vintage Morris Minor, Sunday lunchtime in the pub with various old friends and relatives I don't see very often before final dispersal.

Ironically, mercifully free of various manifestations of an England unknown to me but apparently, familiar to my good wife, particularly Vernon Scripps' bombastic, wheezing, whining tones...

Vintage Morris Minor? I'll raise you an Allis Chambers model B... our wedding 4 weeks ago, that's me driving my wedding party to the church.

post-7104-0-54026400-1505654979_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...