The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

Forty-one years ago on Bridge Street, Abergele, and the trusty Capri. The town was a quiet place then with a sensible set of traffic lights and a bye-pass to remove much traffic. Today, even in a snow storm, I wouldn't be able to see how much the shop fronts had changed for nose-to-tail traffic....

post-6680-0-82643200-1510346088_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hell, I like that picture in the above post very much. Most folk would have gone for a bog-standard shot of the train and few would have 'squandered' it on a chancy 'new-approach' shot.  It has worked out superbly well and leaves the viewer making up his own story of what we are seeing. It looks like a grab-shot, and I think this is where the cleverness lies. In fact, I'll bet you gave this picture a lot of thought well beforehand. 

Forty-one years ago on Bridge Street, Abergele, and the trusty Capri. The town was a quiet place then with a sensible set of traffic lights and a bye-pass to remove much traffic. Today, even in a snow storm, I wouldn't be able to see how much the shop fronts had changed for nose-to-tail traffic....

attachicon.gifWEB Abergele Bridge Street.jpg

Where's the Capri then?

Hell, I like that picture in the above post very much. Most folk would have gone for a bog-standard shot of the train and few would have 'squandered' it on a chancy 'new-approach' shot. It has worked out superbly well and leaves the viewer making up his own story of what we are seeing. It looks like a grab-shot, and I think this is where the cleverness lies. In fact, I'll bet you gave this picture a lot of thought well beforehand.

All that? Charley Dog LIKES the steam trains, and is still a bit young to be allowed to run free when they are close...... so, yes, I suppose there’s a “story” there. Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

Has anyone heard from Dave (the OP) ?

Dave has had a torrid time in recent years but I've heard he is still around and in a happier place.

Dave Franks.

Hi all, Dave has been in touch and we had a good blether last week. His life has turned around again and is getting back into modelling too. He actually appeared at Warley and helped out with Mostyn, he enjoyed the experience very much. 

I wished him all the best and hope to see him at one of the society shows next year.

Dave Franks.

• Like 5

Now I know it's winter...my home village looked 'picture postcard' today....at 20:21 it is still snowing too....17hrs now....!

post-20610-0-86636300-1512936937_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-46704200-1512937016_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-97096100-1512937088_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-46338000-1512937230_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-79091800-1512937311_thumb.jpg

Take care guys...regards as always...

Bob

• Like 11

Yeah, being old British cars, they've all long since rusted away anyway. In fact you could probably have heard them disolving even as that photo was being taken. :rolleyes: :sarcastichand:

I don't suppose most foreign cars of that time were much different in that respect...

They were - they were far worse, especially if they were Italian as presumably you were only meant to take them out on sunny days.

That was the period when Fiat et al bought shed loads of cheap Russian steel, resulting in much fizzing under the paint!

The first foreign manufacture to start to get to grips with the rust issue were Porsche, who introduced galvernized shells from 1971 onwards, although they didn't really get into their stride until 1976.

• Like 1

Back in the 80's a contractors boss bought a brand new White Lancia Beta HPE - an absolute stunner of a car (back then). - for a year or two till the rust got hold. Fiats weren't much better either, but most cars back then dissolved away at various rates, some were worse than others. Perhaps Volvo's were the best, but my mate had a right rusty one !!

Capri's - In 1982 I bought a brand new 1600 Capri Cabraret - Ming Blue - special edition with lots of extras - a right lovely car which I wish I still had. No rust at all.

Today - just be careful what you buy. I looked at a few Mazda 3's and Ford Focus's last year - only five or so years old and nice cars to look at BUT I was horrified when I had a good look underneath - tons of rust everywhere. Jag X types also, especially behind the plastic sills. I ended up with a 2008 Mk 2 Seat Leon, like new all over (and under !), 2 owners, 55K miles and a steal at two and a half grand.

Back to the weather, Sleet and Snow (just a bit) Saturday, Freezing Sunday & Monday, heavy rain today, but at least it's 5 degC (at the moment) !!.

Anyway, a  photo of Wigan Junction Colliery railway back in 1940 - looks a bit Frozzen, but I bet that boiler is warm !!!!

16079206688_64386df8f1_b.jpg

Brit15

• Like 9

Those spoof 'repro' signs were widely available years ago. I stuck up a Great Central Railway one at work, making reference to answering and dealing with telephone calls. Visitors were always asking if it was a genuine sign! Someone obviously thought it was, as one day many many years later it was not there, never to be seen again...It took a great chunk of the partition wall with it, so I hope the thief bent it in the process of removing it!