The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

Up to my caravan in the Lakes for a quick R&R before mobilising to a new project overlooking The Solent.

Took a long afternoon doze listening occasionally to big fat raindrops, now everything has that clean sharp look and smell and there are low clouds on the fells

Off to The Stag for corned beef and onion pie and a pint or several of Wainwrights.

post-10066-0-32562900-1527892127_thumb.jpeg

post-10066-0-22086000-1527892172_thumb.jpeg

post-10066-0-31938800-1527892205_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Donegal's Glenveagh National Park sizzling in the summer heat. At least at this stage of my bike ride, it was downhill all the way to the Castle and a refreshing ice cream. A must visit location for anyone coming to Donegal.

post-7952-0-77692200-1530186996_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

My favourite view, the best pic I've seen of it, by Mark Clothier. A view taken looking west from Swyre Head, taking in Kimmeridge Bay, and aptly named Brandy Bay ( in smuggling days, 2 - 300 years ago, it was the most common 'import') with the imposing Gad Cliffs. 

post-7336-0-30322400-1530471771_thumb.jpg

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Not a picture but what's in my daily dose of junk advertising through the letterbox.

Item 1) Flyer for special deal on large pizza, wedges, garlic bread and "chicken strippers" whatever they are.

Item 2) Five day free pass offer for the local gym

Item 3) Flyer for a Sports Injury Clinic.

• Like 1

Last week we had a super break at Hartland Quay, this was the view from the bedroom

post-7081-0-76707000-1530693608_thumb.jpg

Hartland Quay 24/6/2018

We did some walking each day including at Hartland Point

post-7081-0-37112900-1530693591_thumb.jpg

Hartland Point lighthouse, with Lundy in the background, 27/6/2018

cheers

• Like 14

A familiar scene for visitors to Arley on the SVR.

harbour_inn_1280x800.jpg

Martin.

Know this view well....in fact see it twice( sometimes more in) a week!

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5

Talking to Sue in the kitchen, the back door open in a vain attempt to get some cooling air into the house - suddenly the unmistakeable roar of Merlins. We dashed out into the garden to see the last three of several Spitfires (and I think a Hurricane) flash over our roof and off to the north. Now that's the sort of aircraft noise we like!

They must have been part of today's flypast up at Buck' Palace. 

Sorry no snaps - no time to grab a camera, I just stood there with my mouth open enjoying the spectacle.

Chaz

• Like 5

Talking to Sue in the kitchen, the back door open in a vain attempt to get some cooling air into the house - suddenly the unmistakeable roar of Merlins. We dashed out into the garden to see the last three of several Spitfires (and I think a Hurricane) flash over our roof and off to the north. Now that's the sort of aircraft noise we like!

They must have been part of today's flypast up at Buck' Palace. 

Sorry no snaps - no time to grab a camera, I just stood there with my mouth open enjoying the spectacle.

Chaz

I watched a Spitfire over the Solent at just before 6pm...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A day off today, with some cloud and a slightly lower temperature, we made the short drive to Brent Knoll, as Mrs Rivercider had not climbed it before. (It takes about 35 minutes from the nearest pub - The Red Cow - to the summit)

post-7081-0-30236200-1532444857_thumb.jpg

The path up to the hill fort on the top of Brent Knoll, the Welsh coast is on the horizon, also visible are Steep Holm and Flat Holm in the Severn Estuary as well as Brean Down and on the right part of Weston Woods on Worlebury Hill, 24/7/2018

cheers

post-7081-0-30236200-1532444857_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

A day off today, with some cloud and a slightly lower temperature, we made the short drive to Brent Knoll, as Mrs Rivercider had not climbed it before. (It takes about 35 minutes from the nearest pub - The Red Cow - to the summit)

attachicon.gifIMG_1023 a.jpg

The path up to the hill fort on the top of Brent Knoll, the Welsh coast is on the horizon, also visible are Steep Holm and Flat Holm in the Severn Estuary as well as Brean Down and on the right part of Weston Woods on Worlebury Hill, 24/7/2018

cheers

Ever since we used to pass it going on holiday back in the 50's, I have always had a hankering to climb Brent Knoll. Maybe one day!

• Like 1