The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Premium

I think, some of Martin's posts are showing how we used to know why we lived in the British Isles. It is good the rural scenes don't change so much. My photo here is on the Dengie peninsula yesterday, there is a ghastly wind farm there now (out of the frame to the right) but this view is pretty timeless. It is strange how the soil is so fertile. Beyond the ploughing is the sea wall and the salt marsh.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-64365300-1539247381_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Two more photos to try to give some context for my last one. It is incredibly empty and remote for somewhere so close to London.

Essex aint that bad - once yer get more than 45 miles from the centre of London. :sungum: ( from an 'Essex-boy'.)_

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I lived for a few years in Burnham-on-Crouch. The soil of the Dengie peninsular is different from most of the rest of Essex which is mostly heavy sticky clay. The Dengie however is a lighter soil overlaying gravel so is well drained making it ideal for certain crops. The one drawback is that the land suffers more during drought.

• RMweb Gold

Day 3 on the Broads. No glorious sunrise this morning in Oulton Broad, but some interesting cloud formations as the overnight rain passed through:

post-1467-0-25858200-1539258602_thumb.jpeg

The former high level station at Hadiscoe on the ex GER line to Beccles always fascinates me, and it looks like it’s had some TLC recently:

post-1467-0-16422900-1539258053_thumb.jpeg

Tom.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Witley Court yesterday.

As a schoolboy 60 years ago the ruins of Witley Court were a playground for us. The house had burnt down in 1937 and been left to rot. 20 years later the house was utterly derelict, the gardens were completely overgrown, the fountains smashed, and a couple of strands of barbed wire weren't going to keep us out.

Nowadays the place has been utterly transformed by English Heritage, and has become one of the leading visitor attractions in Worcestershire.

There are thousands of photos out there, so there didn't seem to be any reason for me to take yet more. But when you have a camera with you...

witley_court3_1280x640.jpg

witley_court2_1280x760.jpg

witley_court1_1280x928.jpg

I can still see my bike in that hedge: smile.gif

Martin.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

A breezy last night & sunrise on the Broads this morning. We’d hoped to mudweight on Surlingham Broad before returning the boat, but it quickly became apparent this wasn’t going to work due to the strong wind, so side on mooring was found at Rockland Broad.

post-1467-0-40574900-1539443719_thumb.jpeg

post-1467-0-53544400-1539443894_thumb.jpeg

Another holiday over all too soon!

Tom.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I hope you you enjoyed your holiday on the broads, in that Broom 35 coupe, Captain 6 (built 2016).

Tis very warm that wind on the broads at the moment...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I hope you you enjoyed your holiday on the broads, in that Broom 35 coupe, Captain 6 (built 2016).

Tis very warm that wind on the broads at the moment...

Very much so. We had Captain 8 last year and they are a lovely class of boat, the only down side being their height if the tide times are not in your favor.

Couldn’t really have asked for better weather for October, although the winds scuppered any hopes of getting the drone up again after the first night.

Tom.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This tower on Bredon Hill is known as Parsons Folly. It was built on the ramparts of Kemerton Camp hillfort by the local squire John Parsons in the 18th century. As towers go it is not very high -- its main purpose was to get the height of Bredon Hill to the 1000ft mark. At which point he stopped building.

It is now leased to Vodafone and covered in mobile phone aerials.

parsons_folly_1280x720_rp.jpg

Martin.

• Like 9

A sunny autumn morning over the village of Reeth and Harkerside Moor in the Yorkshire Dales on 21st October 2018.

attachicon.gifReeth 21102018 1 - RMweb.jpg

attachicon.gifReeth 21102018 2 - RMweb.jpg

What a difference a bit of sunshine makes, we were mountain biking over Harkerside Moor in thick mist in May! Did you visit the Scenicview Gallery when you were in Reeth? We were very impressed with the photography on display.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...