The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Gold

Parcels no more.

parcels_dock_1860x852.jpg
camera at SO 85816 55103 looking W

Worcester Shrub Hill

I've been adding camera refs to my posts. To find the locations, copy and paste the ref into the Search box top left at: https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/52.38961,-1.60097,9

Right-click on the map to find your own camera locations.

Thanks for the likes.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 12

Lovely walk this afternoon along the trackway east from Honing station in Norfolk along the Weavers Way on the old M&GNJR. This photo reminds me so much of the countryside of my youth (50s/60s) and just idling away time leaning on a gate overlooking a field. Moo! Won't bore you with what I saw and heard but well pleased. Calmed me so much I even did some ballasting on return. 

20190601_151006.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, geoffers said:

...reminds me so much of the countryside of my youth (50s/60s) and just idling away time leaning on a gate overlooking a field. Moo! Won't bore you with what I saw and heard but well pleased. Calmed me so much I even did some ballasting on return.

That's a lovely photo Geoff -- and you remembered to take it before disturbing the grass to lean on the gate. smile.gif

The best thing about walking is the freedom to stop and lean on a gate -- for as long as you like. I often wonder about those dozen-strong groups of the Ramblers I sometimes pass when walking -- do they take it in turns to lean on the gate, or all lean on it at once?

My editor says there are 172,326 different colours in your picture, nearly all of them shades of green. I have realised that it is the colour green which has the calming effect. It is in the middle of the visible spectrum, and the eye is sensitive to more different shades of green than any other colour.

Here is some more green. 

lower_astley_wood_1856x1044.jpg
camera at SO 81154 66543 looking N

Martin.

• Like 8

My neighbour is a keen rambler and every Thursday his group goes out walking. I have done some walks with them, but do you know I much prefer walking on my own or with the family  rather than with a large group. Maybe just me but I can assimilate what is around me so much better  when not in a group. and yet I do appreciate the benefits over the years that the Ramblers have obtained.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, geoffers said:

Maybe just me but I can assimilate what is around me so much better  when not in a group. and yet I do appreciate the benefits over the years that the Ramblers have obtained.

Agreed. The local Ramblers have an active group of volunteers improving stiles and footpaths. The materials are provided by the County Council:

https://worcesterramblers.org.uk/BoxContents/Sequence/?id=2139&page=2

That particular new gate is very welcome. The last time I was there the stile was so broken that I was forced to climb over a barbed-wire fence to continue my walk. I often see their sticker on the stiles and gates I use, so I'm thinking that I ought to be offering to help, even if I prefer not to join in group walks.

Martin.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

I have realised that it is the colour green which has the calming effect. It is in the middle of the visible spectrum, and the eye is sensitive to more different shades of green than any other colour

Martin.

Yes, it is why the normal standard digital camera (Bayer) sensor matrix is composed of 50% green and 25% each red and blue.

Izzy

• Informative/Useful 3

Guest CLARENCE

Yes, fascinating place. They're building a new station (Lionheart) and intend to rebuild the line to Alnmouth on the ECML.

Acouple taken at a model railway show and open day in 2015;

1955972784_ALN1.jpg.9f920fd0ba019bdd32ecc279bf52f979.jpg1557550111_ALN4.jpg.e2248401765c79e504341eef502123e1.jpg1313438468_ALN5.jpg.94b70b666e7197ed926cbcb43cdbe7e3.jpg2039841421_ALN6.jpg.914c99028d414c213570bc850198252f.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Bewdley South's Down Distant in the sunshine yesterday. The red sheen on the fields is a sea of poppies.

bewdley_south_distant_1856x1044.jpg

camera at SO 80817 74616 looking SE

The signal again in the distance:

droppingwell_poppies_1856x808.jpg

camera at SO 80406 73995 looking NE

Martin.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And a field of hops?

Nah, two fields of giant runner beanz! But yes, it is an area that hops have been cultivated in the past IIR from my days in the brewing sector. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And a field of hops?

Yes, hops. I can remember a time when the Teme Valley west of Worcester was one giant hop field. More info:

http://oastandhopkilnhistory.com/19th-century/the-west-midlands/

Nowadays oilseed rape seems to be the cash crop of choice. This was the view in the opposite direction from the same location (St Mary's churchyard, Stanford, 20-May-2019):

stanford_yellow_1856x1044.jpg

camera at SO 70218 65698 looking S

Martin.

• Like 6