The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Worst team of the season!

andyram

As the football season there are many articles about who should win player of year, manager of year, young player of year etc. There will also be the usual teams of the year appearing. But what about the worst team of the season? Here is my contribution based on this year's Premier League.

1. Martin Steklenburg (Fulham - excuse the spelling. But he has hardly been fit all season).

2. Fabio Da Silva        (Cardiff - shadow of his brother's ability under Alex Ferguson last season).

3. Nacho Monreal       (Arsenal - an international player - really???)

4. Tom Cleverley        (Man.United - need I say more!)

5. Wes Brown             (Sunderland - over the hill with how many red cards this season??)

6. Ciraches                 (Tottenham - a defender so bad I am not sure of his first name or even the correct spelling!!)

7. Ashley Young         (Man. United - see Tom Cleverley)

8. Marianne Felliani    (Man. United  - and again!)

9. Ricky Van Wolfswinkel (Norwich - a striker who just can't score!)

10. Darren Bent          (Fulham - erm where is he??)

11. Scott Sinclair         (West Brom - obviously too busy with the obnoxious Helen Flannigan to play football!)

As the football season there are many articles about who should win player of year, manager of year, young player of year etc. There will also be the usual teams of the year appearing. But what about the worst team of the season? Here is my contribution based on this year's Premier League.

1. Martin Steklenburg (Fulham - excuse the spelling. But he has hardly been fit all season).

2. Fabio Da Silva        (Cardiff - shadow of his brother's ability under Alex Ferguson last season).

3. Nacho Monreal       (Arsenal - an international player - really???)

4. Tom Cleverley        (Man.United - need I say more!)

5. Wes Brown             (Sunderland - over the hill with how many red cards this season??)

6. Ciraches                 (Tottenham - a defender so bad I am not sure of his first name or even the correct spelling!!)

7. Ashley Young         (Man. United - see Tom Cleverley)

8. Marianne Felliani    (Man. United  - and again!)

9. Ricky Van Wolfswinkel (Norwich - a striker who just can't score!)

10. Darren Bent          (Fulham - erm where is he??)

11. Scott Sinclair         (West Brom - obviously too busy with the obnoxious Helen Flannigan to play football!)

...and what about the subs' bench?

• RMweb Premium

My father often told me about a mythical place in Scotland called "Stenhousemuir Nil"

Wasn't there a Monty Python sketch, where in the background the football results were being read out and all the results were 0-0?

I don't like people being picked on. Everybody has their ups and downs and it's not fair picking out individuals in a team. But in any case, all of the players you named are still way better then you :rolleyes: (for the plain and simple reason that if you were any good in footie you'd be playing there. But, you don't, so that says something about your abilities in that game :P )

Can this thread be removed please? Preferably before Google indexes it ;)

But surely talking about the capabilities (or not) of players is all part and parcel of the game?Where would Talk Sport, Radio 5 live and all those TV shows be without discussion of players?

For once, the team I support (Derby) is actually having a good season, but we're well used to all the derogatory comments.....

My father often told me about a mythical place in Scotland called "Stenhousemuir Nil"

I don't like people being picked on. 

Quite right, Dutch Master, and Hey! I don't like wee clubs like Stenhousemuir being picked on either! They're fifth in the Scottish First at the moment, just a point away from the playoffs for the giddy heights of the Scottish Championship! So that's five clubs below them plus ten in the Scottish Second - fifteen faraway clubs, of which you lot know little, to be derided! And the club's nickname of "The Warriors" is reflected in enthusiastic support from Norway and Denmark - a contingent of Nordic Warriors in full battle kit is a stirring sight ...

Edit: typo

It's not that I disagree with your ratings, it's that I disagree with the post itself.  I've agreed with Dutch Master that it's unkind and unfair to pick out certain players as "worst" performers.

No axe to grind, as I don't support a Premiership team, but I have no desire to contribute further to this thread.

It's not that I disagree with your ratings, it's that I disagree with the post itself.  I've agreed with Dutch Master that it's unkind and unfair to pick out certain players as "worst" performers.

No axe to grind, as I don't support a Premiership team, but I have no desire to contribute further to this thread.

I don't like people being picked on. Everybody has their ups and downs and it's not fair picking out individuals in a team. But in any case, all of the players you named are still way better then you :rolleyes: (for the plain and simple reason that if you were any good in footie you'd be playing there. But, you don't, so that says something about your abilities in that game :P )

Can this thread be removed please? Preferably before Google indexes it ;)

To the above two posters!

The idea was to spark debate about which players who had underperformed this year. In no way was it designed to "pick on" any player. I am not a professional footballer, and I don't pretend to be better than any of the players listed. However you cannot deny these players have underperformed this year.

It was meant as a bit of fun. I am sure Premier League players do not read RMWeb and there is worse said in the papers. Friendly debate I am sure is no bad thing. So get a grip guys and lighten up.

Interesting. Professional footballers are all over the box wanting to be loved when they do well.......... They must be very sensitive souls if they can’t take it when they are not.

And I apologise to the collective that goes under the name of Stenhousemuir (well, not really, but i’m glad they are doing well even if their ground is a registered “ancient monument”).

Best, Pete.

I don't like people being picked on. Everybody has their ups and downs and it's not fair picking out individuals in a team. But in any case, all of the players you named are still way better then you :rolleyes:

How do you know that? Suppose Johan Cruyff (sorry for English spelling) was a railway modeller and was on RMWeb under a pseudonym? And who’s reply was part of this thread critical of certain players?

We just don’t know.

Best, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Thing is ,if players cant be criticised or picked on for being bad then they cant be picked on for being good either so whats the point of talking about football. I object to people being paid more for an hours "work"  than most of us earn in a month,in some cases much longer than a month, playing a game ,and behaving as miserably as they appear to do. and yes of course I'm jealous.

• RMweb Gold

They know they "steal a living" compared to where they would be if they couldnt kick a ball............

Or, as that interview with Peter Crouch so nicely puts it.....

What would you be if you weren't a famous footballer?

A virgin.

• 1 year later...

Just trawling through the pages of RMWeb and stumbled across this old topic. Had to laugh when I read my team selections from two seasons ago and found a certain Mr Bent in the starting eleven. The question I asked was where is he?

Answer!

Sitting on our bl@@dy bench at the IPro stadium.

Now I wonder who would make this year's 11? Or should that be how many of this year's team would not come from Aston Villa?

Archived