frog hex juicers with cobalt DCC point motors

mikeg

I have just had to rewire my layout due to a permanent short I could not find. When I had finished rewiring the short was gone but I had an overload error on my controller which I found after about 4hrs that I had not insulated one of my x'overs completely and the current was going back to one of the frog hex juicers on the double slip. Once I had cured this problem all seemed OK and a test loco, a 4w sentinel ran over all of the track with no problems, but when I ran a 2-6-0 tender loco with tender pick-ups over the double slip or the next point one of the cobalt motors, not the same one each time would change. Has anybody got any idea why tis should happen, as sometimes there is a short if the loco is running tender first, which changes the point motor back and if the controller is turned off the short clears. This does not happen with an 0-6-0t loco? Otherwise all works OK and I am very please with how simple it was to install and address the cobalts.

Please can you help

mike g

I seem to recollect reading somewhere that where you have frogs close together and/or a long wheel base loco the juicers do not work properly. Have you had a look at their website? Do they not have a help desk? If they don't they must have an email address so why not email them describing the problem and see if they know what is wrong?

I have two double slips on my layout running via frog juicers with a Powercab.

Had absolutely no issues even with Granges, Halls and Warships which are the longest locos I Have.

I agree with Beast - have a look for a rogue feed - perhaps just a whisker of wire somewhere. Sorry as ask the obvious but have all the rails on the double slip had insulated rail joiners fitted?

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Just out of curiosity, if you're working the slip with Cobalt DCC point motors, why are you using a Hex Frog Juicer for the polarity switching?  This point motor has a polarity switch built-in and all you need to do is connect the "F" terminal to the frog in question.  As this a double-slip then you connect the frog to the "F" terminal of the motor at the opposite end.

Just out of curiosity, if you're working the slip with Cobalt DCC point motors, why are you using a Hex Frog Juicer for the polarity switching?  This point motor has a polarity switch built-in and all you need to do is connect the "F" terminal to the frog in question.  As this a double-slip then you connect the frog to the "F" terminal of the motor at the opposite end.

My soldering is not very neat and I took the easy way out - all the points on the layout run via frog juicers.

Perhaps the OP has the same problem!

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Agreed - heading in that direction too - solid state much more reliable - but expensive!

The OP hasn't told us how he is controlling his points - might help - but as beast suggests sounds like a rogue feed to the point motors.

Are these Peco points? if so have the fitted droppers - which are bare wire - been insulated?

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

My soldering is not very neat and I took the easy way out - all the points on the layout run via frog juicers.

Perhaps the OP has the same problem!

Dave

The OP is using Cobalt motors which have sprung terminals for attaching wires, so no soldering needed here.

The OP is using Cobalt motors which have sprung terminals for attaching wires, so no soldering needed here.

So am I!

I used the frog juicers to minimise the number of droppers - if you saw my soldering you would understand why - I am only one step above useless in that department :)

Regards,

Dave

Thanks for the answers given but none apply as the slip is not the problem, the juicers were used when using mechanical control of the points, it is on other points that the problem occurs. All the points are copperclad soldered construction and have been used for about 20 years with no problems on DC with micro switches which were still used when I went over to DCC. I changed to Cobalts as I was tired of having to solder up the point rodding due to the joints breaking with the temperature changes in the loft, before I could run anything. There are no rogue connections as I have just striped out the original wiring and put in a new bus and jumpers. All was working OK until I had a short on the last X'over to have the cobalts fitted that somehow stopped one motor on another X'over working. I asked Richard about this problem and he said to try reversing the feed and this worked. I am not using the frog supply on the motors as I took Richards advice and used a resistor between the bus supply and the motor control to lower the voltage and this therefor could not be used for track power, so I have taken the original micro switch wires and used the switch on the motor to control the frog. I did not think it worth changing the slip as the juicers worked OK, but I think I may the slip to motor control and see if it cures the problem.

many thanks for the well considered replies.

regards

mike g

Hi, just to let those that replied the final of the rewiring. All now works, I have taken the Juicers out and used the cobalt switch, the slip works OK and I have not had the short or overload again. I have also got my turntable working correctly, it was wired in the wrong way round but as the change over switch was also wrong they had cancelled each other out!

I still have a minor problem, one motor changes if there is a short anywhere on the layout, I think it may be because it is installed opposite to all the rest, it also changes at switch on of the layout but then goes back to the road set as soon as any power is applied to the layout for a loco, it can be any loco but seems to be if the last used is the first moved!

thanks again for the replies it did help.

regards mike g

Thanks for sparing the time to reply Mike, and for explaining how the issue was fixed.

I don't know if it is just me, but the amount of times I notice people asking for some help/advice, and then the good folk on here spending there valuable time sometimes literally bending over backwards to help. Only for the OP to not even bother replying or saying a thank you, this really winds me up :nono: .

ATB,

Martyn. 

Hi, just an update to let you know that there was also a problem with a three way point before the slip, two insulated rail gaps had closed up and when the switch in the cobalt changed it caused a short that did not trip the system but due to my wiring switched another cobalt that did cause a permanent short its taken 5 hours to sort out the problem!

regards

mike g

Martin Wynne, I think it was, told me about inexpensive, small industrial 12v 10 Amp contact relays probably about 15 years back. They and a tuppenny diode can be simply put across the drive input to the point motor and will automatically switch the frog correctly for around a Pound or two.  I've never understood the advantage of a juicer over those

Just as a curious question. Do Peco turnouts have a solderless reliable way of connecting power to their frogs (common crossings).

Andy

As a further note, I found that the insulated joiners had been destroyed due to rail expansion and therefore the shorts had not shown up on cold days, its only been lately with the hotter sun on the roof that the problem had become more acute. There were three joiners that had the centre tab crushed on the three way, and incidentally the centre track had been forced up out of the ballast which is why I think the problem became so much of a problem. I had emailed Richard at DCC concepts and as usual had a quick reply and I have let him know the out come.

Hope this may help others, moral, make sure the track can expand more than one way and the gaps are wide enough! my middle siding had buffer stops made of soldered rail that were screwed down.

regards, mike g

Archived