Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Remember my first Trains Illustrated annual - must have been about 1966 - every picture of an east coast Class 40 was either D252 or D272.

Funny how locos haunted us isn't it?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm - not from that part of the world - but was it Tyne Commission Quay Dave?

Phil

Tyne Commission Quay. The reason the Danish Embassy was on the North Bank of the Tyne. The Scandinavians put so much money into the Tyneside economy on their Ferry/Shopping trips. Lois Zolner was the one time ambassador. He introduced Icelandic ponies into the North East coalmines as they were much more adept at walking over broken ground than Galloway ponies.

Porcy

You're right, used for the boat trains for the ferries.

David

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, Dave, just going to bust into your thread following your Grassington pics. I was very pleased to be with an on-track machine, a CTM-32 if I remember rightly, on the Rylstone branch as we called it in the mid 70's.

The machine:

attachicon.gif20150617221439_05.jpg

The view from the operating chair

attachicon.gif20150617221439_04.jpg

A very old signal post......

attachicon.gif20150617221439_11.jpg

Taking a break during a heavy shift.........

attachicon.gif20150617221439_10.jpg

Phil,

Many thanks, the photos are fascinating.

David

The 4-car 104, in addition to the NE number pre-fix, also has an NER peculiarity in that the lower cream lining runs straight across the cab instead of being raised up to meet the lower edge of the cab windows.

I suspect the 104 would have been through its first repaint when it has received the simplified thick side lining as also applied to some of the Class 101's during their first repaint.

The side lining certainly looks thicker than the original as on this 104 at Shildon in 1963.

post-508-0-72326100-1437601196.jpg

That still doesn't answer the question as to why the lining round the brow looks original?

Porcy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Porcy Mane. Thank you for your reply about the class 104 lining. I think that you're right about the repainting, for I've also seen photo's of NER 104's with the top lining going straight across instead of up and over the top of the cab windows as in the photo' that you have just posted. The lining does appear thicker in the repaints. I wonder if the repainting would sometimes be ''local interpretations''?

With Regards,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Remember my first Trains Illustrated annual - must have been about 1966 - every picture of an east coast Class 40 was either D252 or D272.

Funny how locos haunted us isn't it?

Phil

Likewise how some avoided us, and D252 was one of my last 40s for some crazy reason, having been told on a number of times that I had just missed it at Kings Cross from fellow spotters at the platform ends. Then once I finally bagged it, of course it then became a pest...

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Know what you mean Kevin - I never did manage to cop the fated D1866/47216/47299 - it was the only 47 I never saw with the exception of the two early scrappers.

Perhaps I should have consulted a medium ?

Phil

Likewise how some avoided us, and D252 was one of my last 40s for some crazy reason, having been told on a number of times that I had just missed it at Kings Cross from fellow spotters at the platform ends. Then once I finally bagged it, of course it then became a pest...

Kevin

I went 15 years without seeing D252, despite frequent visits to the ECML in the 1960s. It was 1976 before I saw it, and even then it was on the GN&GE near Sleaford.

As for 47299, it was banished to South Wales for many years in the 1980s which is why it was not easy to see. The loco spent most of its time hauling MGR trains around the loop at Aberthaw power station, taking over from pairs of 37s in the exchange sidings.

Guest B Exam

I went 15 years without seeing D252, despite frequent visits to the ECML in the 1960s. It was 1976 before I saw it, and even then it was on the GN&GE near Sleaford.

As for 47299, it was banished to South Wales for many years in the 1980s which is why it was not easy to see. The loco spent most of its time hauling MGR trains around the loop at Aberthaw power station, taking over from pairs of 37s in the exchange sidings.

47299 was always a Eastern Region loco until 1999. New to 41A 28/5/65, 30A 01/67, 34G 11/67, Immingham 09/69, Healey Mills 05/81, Immingham 10/81. Renumbered from 47216 2/11/81, Tinsley 06/91. Moved to Bescot 15/1/99. Withdrawn 16/04/99, Scrapped 21/10/99.

Its unlikely to of been banished to South Wales working MGR trains to/from Aberthaw. It was in Crewe Works undergoing collision damage repairs 12/83-10/84.

It was almost a daily visitor to my hometown of Nottingham on oil trains to/from the Humberside refineries during the 1970s/1980s. I lost count how many times we saw it at Nottingham.

I will see your "ER loco until 1999" and raise you this photo of it at Aberthaw sidings in 1985.

post-4474-0-03334900-1437667544_thumb.jpg

Unless of course there were two locos with the same number. I lived about a mile away from Aberthaw for a number of years and it was there for a similar number of years in the 1980s, as I saw it occasionally. It was hard to photograph properly because it spent most of its time on the MGR loop at the power station and without tresspassing on CEGB property it was difficult to get a photo of it in any other position than this.

post-4474-0-12626300-1437667878_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 15

Note the column of cloud on the horizon in the second photo. This was a regular sight on clear days, and developed from the warm moist air being emitted from Port Talbot steelworks about 30 miles away. However, on a windy day with the direction from the W or SW it just produced a thick brown line that stretched up the Bristol Channel.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the 47299 gallery on the Class 47 site she certainly got around more in RFD days - plenty of earlier Humberside oil traffic there and also Aberthaw.

Don't know how she avoided me.....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Guest B Exam

I will see your "ER loco until 1999" and raise you this photo of it at Aberthaw sidings in 1985.

100882.jpg

Unless of course there were two locos with the same number. I lived about a mile away from Aberthaw for a number of years and it was there for a similar number of years in the 1980s, as I saw it occasionally. It was hard to photograph properly because it spent most of its time on the MGR loop at the power station and without tresspassing on CEGB property it was difficult to get a photo of it in any other position than this.

100881.jpg

Not disputing the fact of it visiting Aberthaw.

There used to be a thrice weekly Lindsey-Aberthaw heavy fuel oil (Diesel) train. Now 47299 could quite of easily of worked it being based at Immingham! Used to run outbound Sun/Tue/Thur, back to Lindsey Mon/Wed/Fri. As the loco would more than likely sat spare during the day, it could of been used on the local MGR traffic.

The Lindsey-Aberthaw heavy fuel oil still ran until quite recently running usually as 6Z94 Tues Only Lindsey-Aberthaw, 6Z95 Weds only return. 95% time it was a 66, occasionally a 60.

Edited by B Exam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the 47299 gallery on the Class 47 site she certainly got around more in RFD days - plenty of earlier Humberside oil traffic there and also Aberthaw.

Don't know how she avoided me.....

Phil

Hi Phil

I have had a lot of women do that to me as well :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of Lancaster and Morecambe. It could that BR  was a little run down in some ways in the early '70's. I wonder if this what was referred to as ''the crumbling edge of quality''?

All the best,

Market65.