Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

C8911 is really beautiful. Who needs a train the view?

Mind you the train is very nice too, all in a matching livery.

And in the B&T photos it is interesting that most are "modern" hopper wagons but one has much older wagons.

Jonathan

The old hoppers survived for a long time on the short workings from local pits to the west staiths.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DaveF said:

The old hoppers survived for a long time on the short workings from local pits to the west staiths.

David

Was this not the last diagrammed unfitted working on BR? (HTO wagons I think).

Regarding Great Pondon, I presume the used to be a fair-sized yard/sidings there? Would be good for a shunting layout but you could still run mainline trains going past.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, keefer said:

Was this not the last diagrammed unfitted working on BR? (HTO wagons I think).

Regarding Great Pondon, I presume the used to be a fair-sized yard/sidings there? Would be good for a shunting layout but you could still run mainline trains going past.

I don't have any plans or details of Great Ponton station myself, I think it was closed before I visited it.

However there are some details here with a map, photos and information.:

https://www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk/railway-life-at-grantham/signal-boxes-and-signalling/great-ponton-signal-box/

It shows why a relatively simple track plan took up so much space.

David

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb selection of photos of the Weardale line which once ran from Bishop Auckland to Wearhead, with the photo’s taken on a railtour of lines in County Durham, "The North Britain" on 23rd May, 1987, using a two car class 101 unit. 
In C8489, at Etherley CCE tip, of 08575, it can be seen that someone has placed a roadworks sign on the front of the 08. A nice quirky addition to the shunter. 

The Harrogate photo’s, from 1965, are an excellent set, and in J191, with class 24, D5096, on The Yorkshire Pullman, from Harrogate to Kings Cross, in June, 1965, the filthy state of the locomotive contrasts with the clean Pullmans. In contrast, in J343, with class 55, D9012, Crepello, on the White Rose, from Harrogate to Kings Cross, in August, 1965, the Deltic is looking most clean and is sparkling in the sunny weather.

The photo’s of the ECML from between Peterborough and Grantham, at Corby Glen and Great Ponton, are a delightful and nostalgic selection. The last photo’ of an unidentified class 47, at Great Ponton, on an up express, train 1A11, in November, 1970, has, in the formation, the third carriage from the locomotive, a Mkl Lounge First Corridor (LFK), either Sc14900 or Sc14901. Information I have states:  Three 1962 built Mkl Corridor Firsts were the subject of a conversion program when the three Lounge First Carriages were created. Two pairs of compartments were merged and along with the three fixed seats on both bulkheads, four additional rotating seats were provided at the centre of the merged compartments. Compartment windows were replaced with smaller double glazed units with slatted blinds in between. The other three compartments were unmodified. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

It shows why a relatively simple track plan took up so much space

Thanks for the link, Dave.

The map shows quite a bit of empty flat ground which I'd assumed would be covered with sidings - but there's only the tracks beind the platform and one siding at angle to the East.

Untitled.png.e7e49138a488084068fa74ea2f98fb91.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David,  that stop block in Mistley yard looks to have taken a hit. 

Great to see conventional grain wagons and 'blues' mixed together,  something I've done on my layout 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Was there not also an explosive works or similar as well as the maltings? I'm sure I've photos of Gunpowder Vans there.

That rings a bell I'm sure someone told me about an explosives factory further down the shore near Wrabness 

• Informative/Useful 1

I am still loving all the photos. So much change, but so much is still the same underneath.

A minor mystery from Great Ponton J2439 in 1970

The signaller has reset the home signal, and normally the system of balance weights would have reset the distant signal. Either it is stuck, or you have captured a split-second!

regards

Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seahorse said:

I am still loving all the photos. So much change, but so much is still the same underneath.

A minor mystery from Great Ponton J2439 in 1970

The signaller has reset the home signal, and normally the system of balance weights would have reset the distant signal. Either it is stuck, or you have captured a split-second!

regards

Peter

I thought the same as you at first, but I think they are two different signals, one behind the other

• Agree 1

Went up and down this part of the world in the late forties and fifties  stayed with my aunt at South Benfleet for long periods great place to have fun .Used to go to Canvey Island regularily the floods were awful came right up to station at Sth Benfleet .took a long time to get back to normal.All trains then steam hauled by Stanier tanks  very busy trains ,also went to family in Kent via Tilbury interesting journey saw ocean liners at Tilbury .Bet I would not recognise places now probably houses everywhere and lots of people but glad I experienced it as it was thanks for the pics,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 62613 said:

I thought the same as you at first, but I think they are two different signals, one behind the other

I maybe the distant is motor worked and just started winding down 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Back to the Londom Tilbury and Southend now between Pitsea at the west end of the Tilbury loop and Leigh on Sea.

851721631_jPitsea302252uppassviaBasildongoingawayOct79C4843.jpg.1028f50b10072838036bb521bfb6658a.jpg

Pitsea 302252 up pass via Basildon going away Oct 79 C4843

1610587605_jPitsea302247downpassviaTilburyOct79C4845.jpg.ce2099d0691add043a61818cef45f1cb.jpg

Pitsea 302247 down pass via Tilbury Oct 79 C4845

1182216712_jPitsea302232uppassviaTilburygoingawayOct79C4846.jpg.02fd030300e6758fd4c71d278e7e9d2e.jpg

Pitsea 302232 up pass via Tilbury going away Oct 79 C4846

1423056883_kHadleighMarshverydulldayClass302uppassMarch77C3252.jpg.0882a57e30afbc8068ecba2da08a9d5d.jpg

Hadleigh Marsh very dull  day Class 302 up pass March77 C3252

1920309846_kHadleighMarshClass302258uppassSept78C4154.jpg.8739c1f1d3bb9157d7a6de641c591949.jpg

Hadleigh Marsh Class 302 258 up pass Sept 78 C4154

1641582805_lLeighonSea308314uppassJuly77C3376.jpg.267f93b0cdd9de153b052ae54326923d.jpg

Leigh on Sea 308314 up pass July 77 C3376

David

Strange both 302 units are showing 2 red lights when up until 81 or 82 only one was normally to be displayed , I wonder if it was some local instruction 

• Like 1