RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, tanatvalley said:

I found it interesting to see the mix of maroon and blue/grey coaching stock on these trains in April 1967.

It was a very interesting period.  I've often wondered why it seems to be rarely modlled.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of Sheffield Park on the Bluebell Railway in April, 1964. J109, of the ex-Beckton Gasworks, Neilson, No 25, is a splendid view of one of the more unusual locomotives. 

The photo’s of the remains of the line at Ewesley, as on the 30th July, 2014, are so atmospheric and sad that there is not much left. The second one of Ewesley, looking towards Simonside, is a photo’ which you really have to look hard at to find where the line used to go. Unless you knew, it would otherwise just be a photo’ of the countryside.

In the photo’s of the Stockton and Darlington Railway, in May, 1975, with last one from August, 1975, which are an excellent set and reminder of that historical time, J4418, at Darlington North Road Kitchings works, in May, 1975, your Dad has captured a great view of the works building. Plenty of details can be seen, and it should be of help for those wishing to model it.

Finally, that’s a fantastic set of photo’s at Stratford to look at an Open Day in July, 1979, with also a photo’ at Colchester. C4638, of the Class 31 converted to a train heating unit, is a superb portrait shot of the sparkling, green liveried locomotive, with the royal train headcode. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

LeucharsClass105DundeetoEdinburghAug74J3978.jpg.8c840eafa32bcff70059345cb24ac8fc.jpg

Leuchars Class 105 Dundee to Edinburgh Aug 74 J3978

Front twin unit and the trailer car look to be cl.101.

At this time there were still some twin-units diagrammed and trains still had some 1st class provision.

That seems to have gone c.1975 and any Composite vehicles were downgraded to all 2nd class. Formations then tended to settle on DMBS/TS/DMS triples.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"I don't think this would happen now." Certainly not without a signalman's cloth in your hands to protect the steel lever.

C15312 is a really great shot. You and your wife much have done quite a bit of hill walking looking for sites for photography.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

"I don't think this would happen now." Certainly not without a signalman's cloth in your hands to protect the steel lever.

C15312 is a really great shot. You and your wife much have done quite a bit of hill walking looking for sites for photography.

Jonathan

Funnily enough one thing I remember about that day is that the signalman was not using a cloth, even then that surprised me as when I was younger and was allowed into a box on the Great Central a cloth was always used.

By there way, there isn't a wife, it's just me.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of Scottish photos, at Leuchars and Millerhill. In J3979, at Leuchars, with a class 40, on a down freight, in August, 1974, that is a great photo’ taken by your Dad, and it is a good example of a mixed freight train.

The photo’s of Acton Bridge, on the 27th and 18th September, 2014, are an excellent selection, and the third photo’ of a class 390, Pendolino, is a superb three quarter shot of the train at speed.

In the photo’s of Derbyshire, with four on the 24th August 1990, and one from April 1963, of you inthe Peak Forest signalbox, are simply superb, and that first one of you, is an excellent family portrait shot. You are right that it would not be allowed today. C15302, at Great Rocks, with 47532, on a down goods train, on the 24th August, 1990, being a delightful shot of the short train about to enter the tunnel.

Finally, that’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Harrogate, and the one of Tetbury, which are an excellent set. The first photo’ of Harrogate, with class 24, D5096, on the Yorkshire Pullman, from Harrogate to Kings Cross, in March, 1967, is a delightful photo’ of the 24, before it departs on that Pullman train. 

The last photo’, of Tetbury, with 16xx, 1664, running round, in July, 1963, is beautifully composed, and what a story of 1664, catching the side of that Gresley carriage, and removing some of it’s beading! 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, DaveF said:

taPeakForestDavidpullingoffdistantsignalApril63North_J050.jpg.292e4ba8bd6e049c4fee1bb230235c6b.jpg

Peak Forest David (me) pulling off distant signal April 63 J050  I don't think this would happen now.

I do believe that hairstyle has been back in fashion in more recent times.  I bet you wish you'd kept it 🤪

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't referring to just that photo, but over the many thousands of photos you have taken there are a lot where you were a long way from the railway line, and sometimes I get the impression a long way from your car. Close=-ups are great but those distant shots are often the ones which I really like. And the ones which would be impossible to model in anything larger than T gauge. Perhaps it says something that one of my all time favourite layouts is Chee Tor.

Again, many thanks for all the effort and your family (I hadn't forgotten your father's work) over the years.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I wasn't referring to just that photo, but over the many thousands of photos you have taken there are a lot where you were a long way from the railway line, and sometimes I get the impression a long way from your car. Close=-ups are great but those distant shots are often the ones which I really like. And the ones which would be impossible to model in anything larger than T gauge. Perhaps it says something that one of my all time favourite layouts is Chee Tor.

Again, many thanks for all the effort and your family (I hadn't forgotten your father's work) over the years.

Jonathan

You are quite right, a number of photos were taken a good distance from my car - I enjoy a gentle stroll in nice weather.  Some months ago I put a pedometer app on my phone, it surprises me how far it says I walk.  Yeterday I was out in the emptier bits of Northumberland and it tells me I walked 6 miles - I thought perhaps 2 or 3 at most so I must do more than I think.

You also have to remember that a lot of the photos were taken when roads were much less busy so it was often possible to find a good viewpoint and park - it is much harder now.

David

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

I do believe that hairstyle has been back in fashion in more recent times.  I bet you wish you'd kept it 🤪

These days it is "what hair" not "what hairstyle"!   Actually I still have some hair at the sides and back.

David

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

this is my 'go to ' thread when i log on, always excellent pictures on here.

it is interesting to see the weathering on  J281 where the handrails on the 08 are white lower down where the shunters hands have kept them clean. 

excellent

Dan

• Like 1