RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Back to the Swiss photographs, the liveries in the pictures seem a lot more pleasing on the eye than the current ones. The early liveries seem to complement the scenery whilst the new ones are just  too ‘in your face’.

Well that’s my opinion for what it’s worth.

At least the Schynige Platte Bahn hasn’t succumbed  yet . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tiny little pedant fact, if I may - the Princess at Bressingham was 9 1/2", not 9 1/4".  I say was, as I think it has been re-gauged to 10 1/4" now.  A shame, as it could have visited a 9 1/2" line 'near-ish to you' that I used to drive at - South Shields.  They have had a few visiting engines in recent years, from the Downs School light railway and from a private collection.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

C203 is 9017 The Durham Light Infantry, the only two line nameplate shorter than the space between the grills above it.

C3875 is 47460, ex SF unofficial namer GREAT EASTERN, transferred to York in May 78.

C1144 is I suspect from the shape of the last digit 9018 Ballymoss.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Tiny little pedant fact, if I may - the Princess at Bressingham was 9 1/2", not 9 1/4".  I say was, as I think it has been re-gauged to 10 1/4" now.  A shame, as it could have visited a 9 1/2" line 'near-ish to you' that I used to drive at - South Shields.  They have had a few visiting engines in recent years, from the Downs School light railway and from a private collection.

Thanks very much.  I wonder why I wrote 9.25 in my catalogue, I do have reference books with the right gauge in - but I did make the notes in my catalogue over 50 years ago so the reason for the error is lost in the mists of time I fear.

David

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

C203 is 9017 The Durham Light Infantry, the only two line nameplate shorter than the space between the grills above it.

C3875 is 47460, ex SF unofficial namer GREAT EASTERN, transferred to York in May 78.

C1144 is I suspect from the shape of the last digit 9018 Ballymoss.

Thanks very much,  I've added the details to the captions.

David

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, DaveF said:

Another miscellany now.  You may wonder why there are some groups of unrelated photos at the moment.  As you know a lot of the posts at the present time are replacing the photos lost in the server failure.  I do not always get the sets correct so as I near the end of the ones originally from May 2014 to June 2015 I have some "orphan" photos which I am using up.  Next month we move on to photos posted July 2015 to May 2016 - 2073 of them plus black and white and European photos.  In all there are around 16,400 colour photos and a lot of black and white ones still to reinstate.

Annesley is north of Nottingham and was on both Midland Railway and Great Central Railway lines, Annesley shed was on the GCR.

Stanford on Soar was just north of Loughborough on the Great Central.

Then there are two photos of Skinningrove.

AnnesleyMRGCRburiedundertipJuly76C2928.jpg.d58450be84d0a01c93044e1883e1aa26.jpg

Annesley MR in front of buildings, GCR buried under tip July 76 C2928

AnnesleyJuly76C2929.jpg.99ec642d4141017a3e9a593b1aa0d6b6.jpg

Annesley July 76 C2929

StanfordonSoar9F92067upfreightSept64J172.jpg.bc4d1fd2e710b41dcaf9dce34dda91a7.jpg

Stanford on Soar 9F 92067 up freight Sept 64 J172

uSkinningroveBSCshunter20thFeb88_C9339.jpg.dbe9f8009227746b369bda3e981b6584.jpg

Skinningrove BSC shunter 20th Feb 88 C9339

uSkinningroveClass37upsalt14thApril93_C18474.jpg.e1ca4a419621865cb945d8284a0e721f.jpg

Skinningrove Class 37 up salt 14th April 93 C18474

David

Morning David,  interesting set of pictures I've worked in both areas. In the top picture is the MR track still there had the tunnel not been filled in by then?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The track was originally lfted from about 700 yards of Annesley in 1970, as far as I can see on the scan of my slde there is still track in the line across the photo.

Sadly I didn't take any photos nearer to the line at the time.

David  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

is that the one that goes around a lake in a park? If so, we've been there a few times when visiting the outlaws

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a splendid set of photo’s of the Bowes Railway, on the 27th May, 1991. In C15830, at Springwell, with Barclay, WST, that’s a superb rear three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive. It can also be seen that the screw coupling looks not to have been fully tightened up. I hope all was okay, and no undue snatching would take place.

The photo’s of the High Dyke branch, in the latter days of BR ironstone workings, are an excellent selection, and the last photo’, at Sproxto, of the Iron ore loader, looking to the end of the branch, in June, 1973, is an excellent shot, and shows plenty of detail for modellers.

In the photo’s of Jenbach in Austria, from September, 1989, you have a tremendous set, full of atmosphere. The last photo’ of 1044 014, on a Dortmund to Milano service, is a well composed shot of the locomotive, with EMU, 6030 313, alongside, as seen in the previous photo’, on a Worgl to Innsbruck service.

Finally, the four photo’s featuring the WCML, with the first one on the line from the WCML to Stoke on Trent, and the others are on the WCML, you have a delightful selection, and JVol4043, at Madeley, with maroon liveried Coronation class, 46254, City of Stoke on Trent, on the down Royal Scot, in June, 1960, being a truly superb shot of historical significance.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. That’s a splendid set of photo’s of the Bowes Railway, on the 27th May, 1991. In C15830, at Springwell, with Barclay, WST, that’s a superb rear three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive. It can also be seen that the screw coupling looks not to have been fully tightened up. I hope all was okay, and no undue snatching would take place.

I would agree with you but the buffer springs are fully compressed by the look of it which means the coupling is tightened correctly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of photo’s of North Wales, with three of the Talyllyn in 1969 and two at Criccieth in 2002. C067, at Tywyn Wharf, with 3, Sir Haydn, on the 31st August, 1969, being a delightful portrait shot of the locomotive.

The photo’s of the ECML in North Northumberland, at Shilbottle Junction, and Scremerston, are a superb selection, with C3521, at Scremerston, with a class 47, on a down express passenger train, in August, 1977, being a great ‘Train in the Landscape’ shot, and revealing that only one carriage, the third from last, was for first class passengers. 

In the photo’s of Yorkshire, at Rotherham Masborough,you have a great set of photo’s, and the first photo’ of Rotherham Masborough Station South Junction, with a class 46, on an up express passenger service, in November, 1976, is a most atmospheric photo’, and it must have been a cold day since steam is coming from the steam heating boiler port on the 46. 

Finally, the photo’s of the Southern, are all of interest, and the last one of Ryde Pier, with a class O2, 16, Ventnor, on a passenger train from Cowes to Ryde, in August, 1964, being a most superb and well composed shot by your Dad.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

What a fabulous quintet of photographs from Rotherham Masborough. The lighting on J5547 is exquisite and the snow on the remainder of the set brings back fond memories of such images during the 1970s and 1980s, a shame that they are such a rare occurrence these days.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1