Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, David. Just back from my evening meal. I believe the railway, unless I’m very wrong would be the one which had the station at Tyne Commission Quay. It was, of course the NER. 

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, David. Just back from my evening meal. I believe the railway, unless I’m very wrong would be the one which had the station at Tyne Commission Quay. It was, of course the NER. 

Best regards,

Rob.

Full marks Rob.

Until the houses and marina were developed there was still some track visible but now it is all gone.  I find it hard to believe there was room for the station along the quay, it seems so short.  But in photos it does look a bit cramped.

David

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

It is.    But what was the railway there?

David

Guessing you are talking about what was the Seaton Burn Waggonway, Percy Main being just up the way....

Edited by Davexoc
  • Like 1

I had an inkling it was somewhere around the north bank of the Tyne - the blue and yellow concrete benches look just like the ones in the centre of North Shields. Head Gardener (Mrs Bodger) lived in North Shields for a few years when working in Newcastle. Annoyingly for a lot of the time North Shields metro station was under redevelopment (no shelter, temporary access stairs etc) and no service at weekends when I went up to stay, we never did get to see it completed before her job moved to Bristol. Her flat had a view up river to the Tyne Commisioners quay, and down river to the mouth. We used to see the DFDS ferry pass each morning and evening. A favourite evening walk in the early days, before the station redevelopment started, was along the river bank from Fish Quay (vicious gulls)  to Tynemouth, then back on the metro.

• Like 1

Good morning, David.

Re: J4351, the first of the Abbots Ripton batch, it's not 47 295, as it has ETS jumpers on the front. With a closer look, it appears to be 47 5xx, possibly ending in a 6. I've had a look through my notes for June 1975 but, unfortunately, 1L29 tended to pass, either when I'd headed home for tea or before I'd headed out for an evening's spotting. A further look through the images gallery for each loco in that batch (at that time, the class 47/4s only ran up to 47 555), on www.class47.co.uk, doesn't help much, either. There are very few images from the time when headcode panels were still in use. I did find one of 47 524 (that one, again!), in summer 1975, which showed evidence of similar damage to the panel between the headcode panel and the buffer beam (http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0696021373000) but I don't think that that is the loco in your picture, as the numbers don't look like 524.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

7 hours ago, 35A said:

Good morning, David.

Re: J4351, the first of the Abbots Ripton batch, it's not 47 295, as it has ETS jumpers on the front. With a closer look, it appears to be 47 5xx, possibly ending in a 6. I've had a look through my notes for June 1975 but, unfortunately, 1L29 tended to pass, either when I'd headed home for tea or before I'd headed out for an evening's spotting. A further look through the images gallery for each loco in that batch (at that time, the class 47/4s only ran up to 47 555), on www.class47.co.uk, doesn't help much, either. There are very few images from the time when headcode panels were still in use. I did find one of 47 524 (that one, again!), in summer 1975, which showed evidence of similar damage to the panel between the headcode panel and the buffer beam (http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0696021373000) but I don't think that that is the loco in your picture, as the numbers don't look like 524.

Many thanks, I thought it probably wasn't 47295 but couldn't read the numbers!

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments about the cruise terminal and the railway.  It was Tyne Commission Quay, there were a lot of other bits or railway and waggonway in the area as well.  Just about any photo taken in the area would include where a line once ran, even though in most cases there is no eveidence left now.

David

• Like 1

Cleethorpes is where I was born.

In 1956 my grandpa and I boarded a train there and alighted at Grimsby Town, where my dad met us to return us home.

My first experience of riding on a train.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 27/05/2023 at 17:29, Fat Controller said:

Don't know when you worked there, but I worked clearing out the vehicle spares place directly opposite you in 1977/8. In the space of a few days, I watched a skip lorry remove its 'Gallows', a lorry of fleeces get stripped, and a brand-new Leyland National leave its air-con pod on a car's bonnet.

I was based there 1971-2. Whenever I spent a full day in the office I either heard a crash or a squeal of brakes then saw a reversal when someone had managed to stop short. Nobody seemed to bother much about stopping the trains as the bridge always won.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a great set of photo’s from Lincolnshire of Grimsby and Cleethorpes stations. In C25002, at Cleethorpes, with 153352, on a Cleethorpes to Barton on Humber service, on the 26th July, 2000, you have captured a typical train that worked the Barton branch. It’s historical too, since most of the 153’s are now withdrawn.

The photo’s of the ECML, on Stoke Bank at Little Bytham, and with one taken looking at the ECML in Peterborough, are a superb selection, and C1002, at  Little Bytham, with a Class 47, on a down express passenger train, the 10.15 from London King’s Cross to Newcastle, in July, 1972, being a delightful photo’ and the fifth carriage is still in maroon livery.

That’s a delightful and atmospheric set of photo’s of Klosters,on the Rhätische Bahn, in south east Switzerland, on the 8th August, 1991. In C16239, of RhB, Ge4/4ii, 631, running round the Regionalzug Landquart to Klosters train, that is a superb view of the locomotive. 

Finally, the photo’s of the MIdland Railway north of Skipton, at Gargrave, and then on the S&C at Helwith Bridge, are a splendid selection. In the last photo’ at Helwith Bridge, of BR 9F, 92076, on an up goods train, in December, 1966, your Dad has captured a superb view of the train, and it’s full of atmosphere thanks to the December sun, steam and smoke.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, DaveF said:

ECML next on Stoke Bank at Little Bytham together with one taken looking at the ECML in Peterborough from a different angle to usual.

LittleBythamClass55downexpassSept70C403.jpg.03ab7773a1b0002d6d6bfdb47c002b70.jpg

Little Bytham Class 55 down ex pass Sept 70 C403  11.00 Kings X to Newcastle

LittleBythamClass559009upOct70J2422.jpg.f4224606f140d248e2baa900ff50f85a.jpg

Little Bytham Class 55 9009 up Oct 70 J2422 11.00 Newcastle to Kings X

LittleBythamClass471872downexpassMay71C609.jpg.c974c9212555915b1bd929852411f856.jpg

Little Bytham Class 47 1872 down ex pass May 71 C609

LittleBythamClass47downexpassJuly72C1002.jpg.15f4f8d1e6aea43996fbf223fdcb215f.jpg

Little Bytham Class 47 down ex pass July 72 C1002 10.15 Kings X to Newcastle

PeterboroughEastMRlinewithClass105ecsonECMLNov70J2451.jpg.ca986c3678932a66af211b0148363153.jpg

Peterborough East MR line with Class 105 ecs on ECML Nov 70 J2451

David

Excellent pictures again David 

I didn't realise the connection from Peterborough East to what is now the nene Valley lasted so late.  I doesn't look like its used very much in the picture 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, russ p said:

Excellent pictures again David 

I didn't realise the connection from Peterborough East to what is now the nene Valley lasted so late.  I doesn't look like its used very much in the picture 

It was still open for iron ore trains from the Nassington Quarry which closed in February 1971.

• Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

It was still open for iron ore trains from the Nassington Quarry which closed in February 1971.

It was also used for infrequent school trains to Oundle. The last passenger train to Oundle was on 4th November 1972, from Peterborough North, via a reversal at Peterborough East (I was on it). It was supposed to have been formed of a six-car DMU and tickets had been sold, accordingly. On the day, a five-car set appeared, a three-car Derby Works Class 125 (51156+59458+50998) and a two-car set, missing a driving vehicle (59449+51169). Needless to say, there wasn't a lot of room!

Regarding Sunday's ECML images, I'd suggest that C403 is 9013 "THE BLACK WATCH". It's clearly one of the four Haymarket Deltics with single line nameplates and the lack of a crest above the nameplate suggests that it would be 13, which lost its crests before receiving blue livery and never gained replacements. The other three retained their crests until the later part of the 1970s.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 35A said:

It was also used for infrequent school trains to Oundle. The last passenger train to Oundle was on 4th November 1972, from Peterborough North, via a reversal at Peterborough East (I was on it). It was supposed to have been formed of a six-car DMU and tickets had been sold, accordingly. On the day, a five-car set appeared, a three-car Derby Works Class 125 (51156+59458+50998) and a two-car set, missing a driving vehicle (59449+51169). Needless to say, there wasn't a lot of room!

Regarding Sunday's ECML images, I'd suggest that C403 is 9013 "THE BLACK WATCH". It's clearly one of the four Haymarket Deltics with single line nameplates and the lack of a crest above the nameplate suggests that it would be 13, which lost its crests before receiving blue livery and never gained replacements. The other three retained their crests until the later part of the 1970s.

Class 125s I'm surprised Peterborough men signed those as were quite different to normal DMUs 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2023 at 10:41, DaveF said:

This morning's replacements come from Clapham Junction in the 1980s.  They were all taken after I moved to Northumberland.

The first two were taken on a day when I had a work meeting in London, the third one , the UKF vans was taken on a day trip to London with friends.  The final two were taken when I decided to have a day in London on the way to a holiday in Switzerland.

1739497262_cClaphamJunctionClass3333017UKFvans21stNov87C9271.jpg.18b17010d902fe569dbd78c6c82e3833.jpg

Clapham Junction Class 33 33017 UKF vans 21st Nov 87 C9271

I am somewhat behind on this thread, so apologies for going back to January, but the UKF vans image is intriguing me. The first van appears to have no roof. As far as I can see it is otherwise a normal UKF van. I am aware that as-built they had no sides, but no roof?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, F2Andy said:

I am somewhat behind on this thread, so apologies for going back to January, but the UKF vans image is intriguing me. The first van appears to have no roof. As far as I can see it is otherwise a normal UKF van. I am aware that as-built they had no sides, but no roof?

It's got a flat roof, I believe.

• Agree 3