RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, DaveF said:

dHeatonDepotBGwithyellowandredstripe20thJan90_C13927.jpg.6017ffb2cc7ad3775df773983c5b0013.jpg

Heaton Depot BG with yellow and red stripe 20th Jan 90_C13927

I think the yellow waist band was applied to vehicles on a regular Circuit working.

They were often marked with the Circuit/route involved but this BG doesn't seem to have that.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, keefer said:

I think the yellow waist band was applied to vehicles on a regular Circuit working.

They were often marked with the Circuit/route involved but this BG doesn't seem to have that.

Some DMUs that became DPUs carried that sort of stripe with Express Parcels branding. I wonder if that BG had been adapted to run within a DPU?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Some DMUs that became DPUs carried that sort of stripe with Express Parcels branding. I wonder if that BG had been adapted to run within a DPU?

I doubt it, I think the only vehicles modified to run in a DMU were the GUVs which ran with WR cl.116 driving cars in the late 60s/early 70s.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. What a delightful set of photo’s of Haworth on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, in 1973 and 1975. In C2563, of BR Class 4, 75078 and 8F, 8431, in December, 1975, you have taken a splendid and well composed shot of the locomotive.

That’s an excellent selection of South Bank, east of Middlesbrough, on the line to Redcar and beyond. In C14443, of 47377 on an up light engine movement, on the 12th May, 1990, you have taken a superb photo’ of the 47 in what are gloomy and wet conditions.

The photo’s of Harrogate station and The Stray in 1965 and 1966, are a superb and nostalgic set. In J460, of B1, 61199, on a Harrogate to Kings Cross service, in April, 1966, your Dad has taken a delightful and well composed photo’ and it’s hard to comprehend that the engine would be withdrawn not too long after the photo’ was taken. All was swept away so quickly by BR. 

Finally, the photo’s from between Kegworth and Ratcliffe on Soar on the Midland, south of Nottingham, on 21st and 24th February, 1977, are a delightful selection despite the flooding. In C3216, of a Class 47, on a down ecs, on the 21st February, 1977, which is a superb shot, a brake van can be seen at the rear of the two Pullman cars. I’m guessing it was for the guard. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Finally, the photo’s from between Kegworth and Ratcliffe on Soar on the Midland, south of Nottingham, on 21st and 24th February, 1977, are a delightful selection despite the flooding. In C3216, of a Class 47, on a down ecs, on the 21st February, 1977, which is a superb shot, a brake van can be seen at the rear of the two Pullman cars. I’m guessing it was for the guard. 

I agree with you about the brake van, but the two coaches look like a Mk1 TSO or SK and a Mk2e FO not Pullmans. Still nowhere for a guard though.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I agree with you about the brake van, but the two coaches look like a Mk1 TSO or SK and a Mk2e FO not Pullmans. Still nowhere for a guard though.

Hi, brushman47544, you are quite right. On cruelly enlarging the photo’, it is indeed a Mk1 TSO, and a M2e FO. Sorry for any confusion. 

Best regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Hence the goods brake van on the rear. If fitted, this would have enabled the ecs to run without being unbraked, apart from the loco, and allow faster speed. 

• Like 1

For some odd reason J2816 reminds me strongly of a photo on the Railway Modeller article about Roy Link's Crow's Nest Tramway.

My be the light, might be the air of oncoming dereliction, but it's there.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Leander said:

Hence the goods brake van on the rear. If fitted, this would have enabled the ecs to run without being unbraked, apart from the loco, and allow faster speed. 

Hello,

I wonder if the brake van is necessary since the MK2e will be fitted with air brakes only and the MK1 may be vacuum braked only ? In that case the train will be running as partially fitted ?

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

4 minutes ago, bmb5dnp1 said:

Hello,

I wonder if the brake van is necessary since the MK2e will be fitted with air brakes only and the MK1 may be vacuum braked only ? In that case the train will be running as partially fitted ?

Dave

These types of ex works or condemned stock working were every day sights in the past and were just taken for granted 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Today's final set take us to Peterborough in 1974 and 1977.

Peterborough 2x Class 31 Skegness to Kings Cross on left 2nd loco is 31219, 2xClass 31 light engine on right 27th July 74 C1710

pPeterboroughClass37upfreight27thJuly74C1716.jpg.dd6036177d25307cfcd151e111fa9f48.jpg

Peterborough Class 37 up freight 27th July 74 C1716

It's a special freight, carrying bridge girders, possibly from Lenwade. The train would have been an interesting formation...

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

It's a special freight, carrying bridge girders, possibly from Lenwade. The train would have been an interesting formation...

Was just going to say X for exceptional!

Wasn't sure of the traffic but noticed there are spacer wagons either side of the loads.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Actually, had another look and it seems more like a small bolster wagon under each end of the beam with a spacer wagon between those.

(I originally thought the spacer wagons were at the ends to cover the overhang of the beams)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of Sewstern, on the ex British Steel lines at the end of the High Dyke branch. In J3565, of 4079, Pendennis Castle, with the NER saloon and Crewe cab, on a Market Overton to Sproxton and return working, in February, 1974, being a splendid study by your Dad. 

The photo’s of Skipton, through the years, are superb and full of interest. The first photo’ of Brittania, 70045, Lord Rowallan, on the The Waverley, from Edinburgh to St Pancras, in January, 1967, is a splendid composition of the train. 

That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of the 1980’s at Newcastle. In C6517, of 40058, on a down permanent way train, on the 28th April, 1984, you have taken a superb portrait shot of the 40.

Finally, the photo’s of Peterborough in 1974 and 1977, are an excellent set. In the first photo’ of two Class 31’s on a Skegness to Kings Cross service, with, on left, the second loco is 31219, and two class 31’s working light engine on the right, on the 27th July, 1974, being a remarkable and well composed shot of those four 31’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1