RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JeffP said:

Was the train stopped?

His position looks like he's climbing in, or out.

The train was slowing down to stop at the staion, I took the phot from the platform.

1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

It's probably the Secondman and about to collect a single line token ?

It was the secondman.

15 minutes ago, Stoke West said:

Box gone by that time note bare signal post , platform would be on trains right behind Dave with level crossing at far end of platform . Ready to drop off to open gates , train men operated , but why not alight onto platform

By then the loop (there were two platorms) had been removed, and there were no signals.  The crossing was ungated but trains had to stop at the stop board seen in the second photo and obtain permission to proceed, the crossing lights also had to be activated.  I assume thew secondman got out on the left side as that is where to Stop board is situated.

I have to admit that my main memory of stopping there that day was seeing a car having problems - it was a Saab 96 stuck in third gear and he was driving to find a garage.  Saab 96's had a steering column mounted gearchange (I know becaaue I used to drive one) and if they became troublesome they could be a nightmare.  I had a go at freeing it but couldn't persuade it to work so he continued on his journey.

Hence my memory of exactly what happened on the railway that day is a bit hazy.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, DaveF said:

SpondonClass120LincolntoCrewe8thAug77C3414.jpg.dc1d485e631cbbf51fdf80e5a9301026.jpg

Spondon Class 120 Lincoln to Crewe 8th Aug 77 C3414

The smell from the old British Celanese works at Spondon was always the cue to put your coat on ready to alight at Derby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s from between Derby and Lincoln. C4943, is a superb photo’ at Fiskerton, with a Class 120, on a Lincoln to Crewe service, in January, 1980. You can see some of the interior lights. 

The black and white photo’s, with four on the Great Central about Rugby Central, and one on the WCML at Rugby troughs, are an excellent and historic set. JVol2057, at Rugby Central, with a V2, on a down express passenger train, in c1952, is a real gem. An interesting formation, with three Gresley carriages leading, then two LMS carriages, followed by what appears to be a former GW Collett carriage, and then more LMS carriages. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Nice to see photos of 1618 in action. I remember summer Wednesday evenings, going into the Blackhorse yard at APM New Hythe where it was stored after leaving Barry to help in the early days of its restoration. 1968 when I changed schools and 1969, I could only go when we had no homework set, from 2nd year onwards we had homework every night of the week. With thin arms I got the job of scraping congealed grease and dirt off the inner surfaces of the tender frames, then laying under the tank with a wire brush removing rust. At least I didn't have to get inside the tender tank, or the firebox. Used to use the Reed's yard gang wash room after to get all the crud off before catching the train home. Rather lost track of it after that, I think it went to Tenterden first before the Bluebell. Most of the group working on it at APM were K&ESR stalwarts.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of the Bluebell Railway, on Boxing Day in 1975, 1976 and 1978. C2542, at Sheffield Park, with SECR Class C, 592, on December, 26th, 1975, is a particularly photogenic shot and is expertly composed.

The photo’s of the ECML between Morpeth and Newcastle at Killingworth, Dudley and Morpeth, are a superb set. C9307, at Killingworth, of 47458, on a down special, on the 23rd December, 1987, is a delightful photo’ of the 47, in the low light levels of December.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great mixed bag of photo’s. The last photo’ at Hotchley Hill, with Class 44, D8, on the breakdown train, in July, 1971, being a superb photo’, and the formation of the train is well captured. 

The photo’s of Great Eastern electrics on the line to Southend Victoria, and the Southern at Teynham, are a fantastic set. C3337, at Teynham, with a Class 73, on an up parcels train, in May, 1977, being a delightful shot in the May sunshine. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

C3337 may well be paper train empties returning to London for the next night. It was not far from there that a couple of vans declared UDI one night, detached themselves, and ended up in a farmer's orchard. The train stopped in a hurry, of course, but the guard failed to realise what had happened and the train restarted. Cue several disgruntled newsagents in Thanet, and a bit of a hue and cry the next day.....

• Like 6
  • Funny 5

On 20/11/2023 at 09:56, Oldddudders said:

C3337 may well be paper train empties returning to London for the next night. It was not far from there that a couple of vans declared UDI one night, detached themselves, and ended up in a farmer's orchard. The train stopped in a hurry, of course, but the guard failed to realise what had happened and the train restarted. Cue several disgruntled newsagents in Thanet, and a bit of a hue and cry the next day.....

Indeed it happened - had the story related to me by the driver in the "Green Lion" at Rainham some years after - ISTR it was between Newington & Rainham & was a pair of 12t vans - the guard presented with a just flapping vac pipe and NO other indication the two vehicles had departed the train just stuck it straight back on the stand 

C3337 is a very late evening shot - these empties called at Gillingham around 20:30 to pick up the 5-6 parcels CCT's that had been tripped earlier in the evening from Chatham Down siding. wrong info

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Indeed it happened - had the story related to me by the driver in the "Green Lion" at Rainham some years after - ISTR it was between Newington & Rainham & was a pair of 12t vans - the guard presented with a just flapping vac pipe and NO other indication the two vehicles had departed the train just stuck it straight back on the stand 

C3337 is a very late evening shot - these empties called at Gillingham around 20:30 to pick up the 5-6 parcels CCT's that had been tripped earlier in the evening from Chatham Down siding.

ISTR the guard had had the presence of mind to stick his Bardic lamp with a red aspect on the back.... He ought to have been alerted by the flailing pipe and missing tail-lamp. No doubt he heard all about it the next day, and forever from colleagues....

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

C3337 is a very late evening shot - these empties called at Gillingham around 20:30 to pick up the 5-6 parcels CCT's that had been tripped earlier in the evening from Chatham Down siding.

I don't like to contradict you but C3337 was taken lunchtime/early afternoon, it is likely to be the 11.55 Margate to Bricklayers Arms up empties.  The shadows are about right for that time of day at Teynham.  Also the next batch of photos I took were on the same day at the Sittingbourne and Kemsley.

David

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR the guard had had the presence of mind to stick his Bardic lamp with a red aspect on the back.... He ought to have been alerted by the flailing pipe and missing tail-lamp. No doubt he heard all about it the next day, and forever from colleagues....

Wouldn't the guard have entered the consist in his journal?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, DaveF said:

I don't like to contradict you but C3337 was taken lunchtime/early afternoon, it is likely to be the 11.55 Margate to Bricklayers Arms up empties.  The shadows are about right for that time of day at Teynham.  Also the next batch of photos I took were on the same day at the Sittingbourne and Kemsley.

David

No - you are absolutely correct - sun is right for mid-morning - got my E & W mixed up - will be that train 👍

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Nordhausen, which was in East Germany, on the 7th August, 1992. C17524, of 310 944, is an excellent photo’, and what a remarkable looking locomotive it was. 

The photo’s of WCML electrics, between 1969 and 1979, are a great selection. The first photo’ at Weedon, with a Class 86, on a Manchester to Euston express train, in August, 1969, being a superb and expertly composed photo”.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1