Foster Street (Its Grim Up North)

paulprice

As you know Foster Street in a continuous run layout, in an attempt to portray a secondary line somewhere in the Northwest, leading up to the dreadful day the LMS was nationalised :(.

The layout is approximately 11 foot long, but because its under 3 foot wide, once the scenic area is taken into account means I have around 12 inches of width to play with, which is where I need some help. I reckon I can get 4 loops in each direction fitted into the space, if I use settrack point this means they will be a considerable length, (even if I use medium radius points they will be pretty long).

I suppose like most modellers I have far too much stock to be used on the layout, and the storage yard will never really be big enough form my ambitions, but I need some help reining in my thoughts and ideas. The other thing is that I have accepted a very kind exhibition invite to the Weston Show (Andy what have you let yourself in for???) so I need suggestions on what type of trains people would like to see running.

So I need suggestions or help on the following...

1. What sort of trains would you like to see running through Foster Street (I know I need suburban/local trains, but I also like running big long coal trains, and my Elephant train too, would the exhibition visitors be happy with, if not what would you think they would like to see?

2 At least one of the tracks in each direction will be used for a long train (express, or freight still to be decided), the other loops I am thinking of splitting into smaller sections to hold more "local" type trains. Obviously this means that on these lines through running would not be continuous because as a train leaves the ones behind would have to be edged up. My experiments with this have shown that the two, or more trains slowly edge up the yard, as the first train leaves, but as I isolate the loops when they have reached the correct position, the train on the visible section gets a higher voltage and then goes like a bat out of hell. Is there a way round this, or should I just isolate the loops and move the trains up manually as the one at the front makes its way around the visual section??

3 I still have not decided on some form of auto coupling for the branch line freights, so as to avoid the hand from the sky, in the past I have added staples to the "elsie" type peco type couplings and used magnets under the track for this, but is there a better option.

4. Can you ever have too many trains? Obviously I think you can never have enough but I think the Domestic Overlord is getting suspicious of all the shoe boxes around the house, he must think I have a footwear fetish (the boys a fool :)) everyone knows shoeboxes are ideal for N gauge.

I must admit, I use the SETRACK points as a motivational tool for myself, well more of a threat really, when I cant think of a better way of doing things I get the box holding the evil little things out, and as if by magic a better solution appears.

I must admit I the thought of 10 different trains on the layout and a couple in the wings is good one, now what type of train should make up the 10?? I did think that I had left too little space for the storage yard, but at the last exhibition I attended I was observing a layout for more than 30 minutes and did not see one train running. The detail on the layout did not hold my interest for that long, it was more me making a mental note of how not to run an exhibition layout.

• RMweb Gold

My extensive research (five minutes on Google) suggests that modern lamp standards should be no more than 150 feet apart in a built up area, however that is taken from the current regulations, and it may well have been different before electric light came in. Given that the light output from Gas lamps was quite poor, I would expect them to be closer.

My gut feeling is yours look about right.

Well another of those little time consuming jobs out of the way, I managed to add crews to a few locomotives from the fleet, and add nameplates, all I have to do how is get some head lamps and fit them

post-18718-0-14110800-1404759592_thumb.jpg

post-18718-0-06758800-1404759620_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, milk was counted as express passenger traffic, and therefore was normally fully fitted with vacuum braking. I know that the six-wheel tankers definitely were so fitted, but I'm not so sure about the four-wheel ones, perhaps someone else with more knowledge could butt in.

The point is, if they were fully fitted, they would be unlikely to have a conventional Brake Van on the end, although a Brake Composite or Full Brake coach might be used.

I was thinking it could justify the purchase of at least one of the Farish, Stannier full brakes, I am a crafty squirrel sometimes :)

I think one of my Crabs may end up being attached to this train, especially a nice maroon one?????

• 2 weeks later...

Well there has not been much progress on the Layout, just the continuation of some of those jobs that eat up modelling time, still a little work has been made on the station access from "Foster Street", and a few of the locals have started to appear on the streets. Oh and I now have a better camera so the picture quality may improve (some might say its a pity the modelling quality could not be so easily improved :))

post-18718-0-52156500-1405891459_thumb.jpg

post-18718-0-90578500-1405891480_thumb.jpg

post-18718-0-31063400-1405891507_thumb.jpg

Well although there may not have been a lot of progress on the layout over the last couple of days, I have got a new camera which means I can take clearer pictures. The bad new is that the pictures of my models will be a lot clearer, which is not a good thing.

Case in point is the attached photo of my Stannier 2-6-4T, and its progress through my locomotive works, the hand lining will be covered up mostly by a coat of weathering, and eventually I will get around to fitting the leading and trailing wheels.

post-18718-0-38160000-1405977151_thumb.jpg

Trust me it does look a lot better from a distance, especially if you look in the opposite direction, not so obvious under normal conditions is the difference between, sprayed Satin Black (Halfords) and Brush applied Humbol Satin Black.

well 2484 has received a light coating of weathering and looks more like a working example, all I need to do now is remember where I put her wheels and fit them.

post-18718-0-74716500-1406050284_thumb.jpg

post-18718-0-77509800-1406050310_thumb.jpg

Soon I will have another Loco to add to the fleet (insert evil laugh here)

Sometimes is good just to get a couple of your favourite locomotives out and just let them have a bit of a run. Despite its age I have a soft spot for the old Farish Compound. We all know this loco has many faults, but with a little work, without any major body or chassis work a passable loco can result.

post-18718-0-85238900-1406413150_thumb.jpgpost-18718-0-60916600-1406413204_thumb.jpgpost-18718-0-06285600-1406413247_thumb.jpgpost-18718-0-15088400-1406413276_thumb.jpg

Is it time to panic? With the Foster Street exhibition debut looming in early November I still have a list of outstanding jobs to complete, that seems to grow instead of getting smaller..... :(

Well if you spent more time working instead of being on here you'd get it done sooner!!! :D

Anyway,

There is a rule for the jobs list problem. In layman's terms, as you finish one job, two more jobs that have been brought to light by said first job appear. Which basically means we will never ever finish a layout...

Well if you spent more time working instead of being on here you'd get it done sooner!!! :D

Anyway,

There is a rule for the jobs list problem. In layman's terms, as you finish one job, two more jobs that have been brought to light by said first job appear. Which basically means we will never ever finish a layout...

I suppose that's a good point, perhaps I should never blog again (I can here the cheers from here :))

As for the jobs list problem the Domestic Overlord, has been heard to remark that if I job is done properly in the first place, you don't end up any other jobs being brought to light..... I hope this just applies to DIY

The D/O is incorrect in this instance unfortunately.

Predominantly because said first job is causing problems that are camouflaging the problems caused by the second or third jobs that come to light when the first job is actually done.

The D/O is incorrect in this instance unfortunately.

Predominantly because said first job is causing problems that are camouflaging the problems caused by the second or third jobs that come to light when the first job is actually done.

That must be where I am going wrong, when it comes to DIY I just do such a good job the first time, that there are no second or third jobs........

Archived