Foster Street (Its Grim Up North)

paulprice

Evening Paul,

Looking very good mate. Lovely modelling and very nice stock.

Look forward to the next instalments.

Jack

Jack thanks for the comments, I must admit the loco looks kind of ok but like most things it could be improved. As for the next instalments I may need some help deciding what to include.

At the moment the stock side of my modelling has hit a bit of a brick wall, due to the classic problem lack of time but more and more problems demanding time (if you see my blog you will see that the detailing is taking ages :))

My wife refuses to be in the same room when I'm taking things apart

the occasional "whoops" thrown in for good measure or a slightly heavier foot fall going upstairs (just for comfort) seems to get her to leave me alone for a while :)

My wife refuses to be in the same room when I'm taking things apart

the occasional "whoops" thrown in for good measure or a slightly heavier foot fall going upstairs (just for comfort) seems to get her to leave me alone for a while :)

I must admit, I tend to get left alone when I disappear to the spare room, but the other half assumes I'm plotting or up to general mischief so I tend to thrown in the odd "environmental sound effect just to maintain my sanctuary

Looks interesting. Also a bit partial to the LMS. Any chance you could upload your photos a bit bigger in the thread. Be easier on the eyes.... Think this would be very impressive if I could see it better!! lol. 

Looks interesting. Also a bit partial to the LMS. Any chance you could upload your photos a bit bigger in the thread. Be easier on the eyes.... Think this would be very impressive if I could see it better!! lol.

Arrgghhhh that's a bit of a problem, I'm not sure how to increase the size of the pictures, any advice on this would be appreciated

How's this?

blogentry-18718-0-37677700-1381442630_thumb.jpg

How are you inserting the pictures?

I normally use the 'reply with attachments' option which allows uploading the image direct to the post in the same way you would an e-mail

Just tried this, but it only has a small number of the photographs I have loaded into my gallery to select from, unless I am doing something wrong, which is very very likely :)

post-18718-0-50266700-1402088977_thumb.jpg

Is it just me or is there something special about 8F's, I know we LMS chaps have a thing for anything painted maroon, but I must admit I have a thing for freight engines.

This is one of three I have in my collection, all of which have or will undergo some form of modification, this one has had the cab glazed, a repaint (I know people say why repaint a black loco into black), some areas such as smoke box, cab roof in matt, crew added, and tender modified to show a working engine, with a realistic coal load (real coal). Oh and I weathered the locomotive to try and capture a working engine look, hope you like :)

• RMweb Gold

Nice, I like 8Fs too, and Crabs, and 4Fs...

Paul, you were asking on Jack's thread how to edit the topic / thread title.

If you go to the very first post in the thread, click on "Edit" and then click on "Use Full Editor" you can change the thread title from there.

HTH

Al.

Nice, I like 8Fs too, and Crabs, and 4Fs...

Paul, you were asking on Jack's thread how to edit the topic / thread title.

If you go to the very first post in the thread, click on "Edit" and then click on "Use Full Editor" you can change the thread title from there.

HTH

Al.

Thanks, as you see the title of the thread has been changed to show the layouts newly acquired name.

I must admit, I have a couple of Crabs, more 4F's and 3F's than I can justify and a partially built 7F on the go so I think the freight section of my stud is ample enough (maybe just a few more) all of which are modified or weathered in some way, some may appear in future posts?

Thanks Jack, one of the things I have to work on is creating a running list and the layout is due to appear in its first exhibition in November, and the storage yard is nowhere near big enough to hold all the trains I would like to run :( Oh the problems we modellers face

I've been pondering building a storage yard where the running line and yard for one way goes down a slight gradient and the running line and yard for the other direction goes up a slight gradient

multi-story train park :)

twice as much space, just don't derail in the middle of the lower one!

• RMweb Gold

I've been pondering building a storage yard where the running line and yard for one way goes down a slight gradient and the running line and yard for the other direction goes up a slight gradient

I considered doing that for my 4mm layout, but I found that if you want to run decent  length trains with steam locos you really need lots of space, and I'm sure it would be the same in N.

For 4mm I thought I'd have ample room in 13 feet to have a gentle gradient and a curve, but even to drop (or rise) 3inches - which is absolute minimum clearance at 4mm - I needed over 9 feet for the slope, or most engines would slip to a stand with 6 coaches on. Of course the Airfix / Hornby 4F with traction tyres would climb anywhere, but most loco driven models couldn't cope.

I'm not conversant with N clearances, but would have thought you'd still need something like 2 inches minimum to be useful.

Al.

I think a storage yard on the flat is the way to go for me, due to derailments caused by me, I can be rather clumsy, the other thing I need to factor in, is enough space between tracks to allow my spade like hands to re-rail stock without knocking trains of adjacent tracks. :)

I considered doing that for my 4mm layout, but I found that if you want to run decent  length trains with steam locos you really need lots of space, and I'm sure it would be the same in N.

For 4mm I thought I'd have ample room in 13 feet to have a gentle gradient and a curve, but even to drop (or rise) 3inches - which is absolute minimum clearance at 4mm - I needed over 9 feet for the slope, or most engines would slip to a stand with 6 coaches on. Of course the Airfix / Hornby 4F with traction tyres would climb anywhere, but most loco driven models couldn't cope.

I'm not conversant with N clearances, but would have thought you'd still need something like 2 inches minimum to be useful.

Al.

I must admit the thing that has put me of gradients in N gauge in the past is that some of the older models have poor pulling power, and then there is the prototypical plodding up the gradient, followed by the "bat out of hell" running on the way down the gradients.....but then again......

Al.

As I said, I've been pondering, the only way I think of getting it to work would be to have both yards accessed by gradients, one being lower than the scenic height, the other being above to lessen the gradient by making both tackle it.

I think a storage yard on the flat is the way to go for me, due to derailments caused by me, I can be rather clumsy, the other thing I need to factor in, is enough space between tracks to allow my spade like hands to re-rail stock without knocking trains of adjacent tracks. :)

You need to practice using chopsticks, they're thinner than fingers :P

Archived