Midland Railex 2014

EE 8SVT

From the Ynysybwl team: we had a great time. We really enjoyed the event, especially the combination of real trains and models plus the military stuff was interesting. We now know how many people per hour you can kill with a Vickers machine gun (the answer is not as many as you might think). The highlight for me was the Baldwin and the Ashover carriage. It was just wonderful. Thanks to Steve, Ben, our teenage operator had a footplate ride which he was very impressed with. Ripley provided us with our usual requirements of a good curry and real ale and the atmosphere was excellent. We would go back anytime (hint new layout will be ready in 2 or 3 years). Many thanks

Some cracking photos Phil what camera do you use.

Hugh

Fuji Finepix 650AX - Cheap compact so depth of field is limited and I can't alter the focusing point like I can with the Cannon G12 used for print work but a very useful device though that lives in my bag.

I like Fuji cameras, had several and all have been (or still are) excellent.

From the Ynysybwl team: we had a great time. We really enjoyed the event, especially the combination of real trains and models plus the military stuff was interesting. We now know how many people per hour you can kill with a Vickers machine gun (the answer is not as many as you might think). The highlight for me was the Baldwin and the Ashover carriage. It was just wonderful. Thanks to Steve, Ben, our teenage operator had a footplate ride which he was very impressed with. Ripley provided us with our usual requirements of a good curry and real ale and the atmosphere was excellent. We would go back anytime (hint new layout will be ready in 2 or 3 years). Many thanks

Hi John

Would be delighted to stake a claim on your new layout, as judging by the quality of Ynystbwl  it will be stunning, glad everyone from your team enjoyed themselves and Ben got his cab ride.

Have to agree that the Baldwin was stunning, much better than I could possibly have imagined and I will post one of Ian's photo along the GVLR, they really could be from the Ashover Light Railway.

Before the start of Sundays show I managed to get a ride in "Katy" the actual ambulance used in the film "Ice Cold in Alex" made my day.

post-12870-0-49999900-1408393140_thumb.jpg

Phew, just got back home after staying over an extra night. Visited a few places on the way back to break up the journey. Just like to say a big thanks to Steve and the team for hosting my layout this year. We all had a great time and really enjoyed the exhibitors' Baldwn/ Ashover trip. Would love the opportunity to return in the future when I have built my new layout.

Thanks again

Matt

Phew, just got back home after staying over an extra night. Visited a few places on the way back to break up the journey. Just like to say a big thanks to Steve and the team for hosting my layout this year. We all had a great time and really enjoyed the exhibitors' Baldwn/ Ashover trip. Would love the opportunity to return in the future when I have built my new layout.

Thanks again

Matt

Hi Matt,

Glad that you and your family enjoyed exhibiting Wipers at Railex, please keep me in the loop about progress on your new layout and hopefully we will welcome you again soon.

Steve

Railex team

I also forgot to mention the "real" Chesterfield bus in proper green and cream livery and with number 22 on it. Having been brought up in Chesterfield and catching Brampton buses home from school, it really brought back memories. Just in case people wonder why I am part of the Ynysybwl crowd, I have been in exile in South Wales for the last 34 years.

• 5 weeks later...

I enjoyed the event, although I largely agree with some of the other feedback. My only snag was that I didn't arrive until just after lunch (my own fault) and didn't have enough time to see everything - that's the snag with having wide interests! I'll be back next year...

Archived