Midland Railex 2014

EE 8SVT

Dear Richard

I may be ancient but not confused. Yes we are going to Aylesbury (sadly I won't be there due to an inconsiderate niece getting married on the Saturday) but we also thought we had an invite to Butterley as well. According to Graham Tierney the booking has been confirmed. This could be interesting. The North Gwent Group once turned up at the Bristol (Thornbury) exhibition to find they had not been allocated a space. Hopefully this won't happen to us.

Dear Richard

I may be ancient but not confused. Yes we are going to Aylesbury (sadly I won't be there due to an inconsiderate niece getting married on the Saturday) but we also thought we had an invite to Butterley as well. According to Graham Tierney the booking has been confirmed. This could be interesting. The North Gwent Group once turned up at the Bristol (Thornbury) exhibition to find they had not been allocated a space. Hopefully this won't happen to us.

Hi John

I can confirm that having spoken with Graham, that Ynysybwl will be attending Midland Railex 2014. I will post an update on all layouts in the next couple of days. Plus we will also update the website with Traders & additional visiting layouts.

all the best

Steve

Railex Exhibition Manager

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to this, must try to get there earlier this year though, I've been the past couple of years and always arrived late enough to have to do a rush around in order to catch the last train back (and there's a feature which makes it wonderfully different to most!)

An update will appear on RMweb and on the Midland Railex website over the weekend.

In the meantime I can now confirm that Baldwin 4-6-0 No 778 will be visiting over the weekend and will be hauling Trains on the Golden Valley Light Railway.

post-12870-0-13165700-1400702824_thumb.jpg

Over the weekend of 16th/17th August 2014, as part of the planned Midland Railex event, Baldwin 4-6-0T No 778 (BLW 44656/17) is scheduled to run over GVLR metals coupled to a restored ALR Coach No. 4. The Baldwin's visit has been arranged courtesy of its owners, the Greensands Museum Railway Trust and the Management of the Leighton Buzzard N.G.R., the loco's home railway.

Ashover No 4 Coach:

post-12870-0-97779000-1400703306.jpg

For more information on the GVR and the Ashover coach please visit: http://www.gvlr.org.uk/index.html

This will be the first time in over 80 years that a Baldwin 4-6-0 and an Ashover coach have worked together in Derbyshire.

Will update ASAP.

Steve.

As someone who was born and raised near Ashover the Baldwin is a must see for me. I am too young to have seen the railway in operation (nice to know I am still too young for some things) but I do remember Fallgate yard with the wagons full of Fluorspar and the diesels.

Update for  Traders  confirmed as attending  Midland Railex 2014

Arkwright Models

Bachmann

Bill Hudson Transport Books

Book Law Publications

Bufferbeam Ltd

EDM

Gee Dee Models

GRAMODELS

Green Scene

Grimy Times

Hobby Holidays

Invicta Model Rail Ltd

Kernow Model Railway Centre Ltd

Kytes Lights

LMS Patriot Company Ltd

Malcs Models

Mount Tabor

Rural Railways

SHAWPLAN Model Products

Squires Tools

Stevenson Carriages

Transport Photo Interchange

More information on Traders, plus Layouts & Societies will be posted over the next few days.

Steve.

Midland Railex Team

Film Star to attend Midland Railex :

'Katy' the Austin K2  Ambulance that featured in the 1958 British made classic " Ice Cold in Alex" 

This vehicle has been restored by the Ambulance Heritage Society: http://ambulanceheritagesociety.com/

More Military vehicles will be announced soon,along with the latest details for Railway layouts.

Steve

Midland Railex Team

post-12870-0-57150300-1401134102_thumb.jpg

An interesting idea to have the military vehicle display too. Looking at the poster I can see a couple of wartime based layouts as Rowlands Castle is pictured. Looking forward to seeing such a superb model again. I wonder if all the layouts will have a military theme.

An interesting idea to have the military vehicle display too. Looking at the poster I can see a couple of wartime based layouts as Rowlands Castle is pictured. Looking forward to seeing such a superb model again. I wonder if all the layouts will have a military theme.

Hi Andy,

First of all let me say bad luck Andy RE:- Saturday you were robbed!

As the Railex has a military theme a number of the Layouts will reflect this examples are:

From WW1 Wipers & Q Dump.

Moving on to WW2, we feature Operation Overlord, Stodmarsh, Lulworth Camp & Rowlands Castle.

Up to the present day Project Iraq and Haverfordwest.

(still negotiating on a few others)

Non military theme layouts will also feature, a few examples are:

Ladeside/Eaglesham/Lagganmoor/Dragonby/Meadow Lane TMD & Steam on the Cambrian.

So feel sure we should have something of interest to everyone.

I will give a full and complete update of all layouts, plus other attractions ASAP, for both this thread and the website.

Steve

Midland Railex Team

Thanks for the comments about Saturday - too right we were robbed!!

Sounds like a nice line up of military based layouts - looking forward to seeing the final line up. Trade line up looks good too may just need a bit of cash for purchases ahead of Skaleby West's next outing.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the latest update for Midland Railex 2014 Layouts, please note other layouts are still to be confirmed and I will advise ASAP.

Military Layouts:

Stodmarsh 0 Gauge WW2

Project Iraq 2003 1/35 scale

Lulworth Camp 00 Mid 1940’s

Rowlands Castle 00 1944 SR War

Haverfordwest N Gauge

Operation Overlord 00 1944 War

Q Dump  1/35th WW1

Wipers 1/64th WW1

Non Military Layouts:

Lakeside Diesel depot O Gauge ScR

Eaglesham OO Caledonian

Sutton Junction 00 Mixed 1960’s

Meadow Lane TMD Modern Image OO

Dragonby Modern Image N gauge

Ober HO Tramway 60’s

Nuts Lane N Tramway 30/40’s

Lagganmoor N Gauge ScR Diesel

Loughborough DY Road N Gauge Modern Image

Steam on the Cambrian 00 1950’s/60’s

Ynysybwl 1922 Taff Vale OO

HMRS Layouts:

Plemsworth P4 now WW1 ERA for  2014

Dewsbury Goods

O: 7mm Scale MR

Milldale 2mm 1960’s

Shipley OO 1950-60’s ER

Elmwell Village Depot

O: 7mm Wisbech and Upwell Tramway

Please keep visiting this thread or our website www.midlandrailex.co.uk for the latest updates.

Steve

Railex Team

A cracking set of layouts can't wait to see Rowlands Castle again. Loughborough Derby Road is coming to our  show in November and is a fantastic layout too. I will be able to get a good look at it during this show as I will probably be too busy running my layout to see anything at our event.

D-Day 70th anniversary

Operation Overlord:

Operation Overlord was the code name for the Battle of Normandy, the Allied operation that launched the successful invasion of German-occupied Western Europe during World War II. The operation commenced on 6 June 1944 with the Normandy landings (Operation Neptune, commonly known as D-Day). A 1,200-plane airborne assault preceded an amphibious assault involving over 5,000 vessels. Nearly 160,000 troops crossed the English Channel on 6 June, and more than three million allied troops were in France by the end of August.

The Allies failed to reach their goals for the first day, but gained a tenuous foothold that they gradually expanded as they captured the port at Cherbourg on 26 June and the city of Caen on 21 July. A failed counterattack by German forces on 8 August led to 50,000 soldiers of the German 7th Army being trapped in the Falaise pocket. The Allies launched an invasion of southern France (Operation Dragoon) on 15 August, and the Liberation of Paris followed on 25 August. German forces retreated across the Seine on 30 August 1944, marking the close of Operation Overlord.

To commemorate this important anniversary and as part of our “Military Manoeuvres” theme we have arranged for the “Operation Overlord” layout to attend Midland Railex 2014.This layout shows the vital  logistical contribution that UK Railway network provided to support D-Day and the ongoing military campaign.

post-12870-0-86456100-1402057997_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of Nevard media.

For the latest information please keep visiting this thread on the run up to the Midland Railex.

Steve

Railex Team

Latest Railex News:

Additional Traders  now confirmed as attending  Midland Railex 2014.

Dovedale Models http://www.dovedalemodels.co.uk/

Colin Wright Railway Artist http://www.railart.co.uk/gallery/wright.html

Please note that updates for Traders & Layouts will be posted as soon as confirmed.

We are also pleased to announce another visiting Military Vehicle:

Austin K2 Towing Vehicle ( Fire appliance) courtesy of the NFS vehicle www.nfs-afs.org.uk

Steve

Railex Team

post-12870-0-32861900-1402491606_thumb.jpg

HMRS Layout - Plemsworth

Over the last few months members have been researching what would be seen on the CLC during the First World War.

The date is 1914 and we are running a model of a troop train carrying half a battery of Artillery to Southampton for embarkation to join the British Expeditionary Force. We have used a HAT QF4.5 inch Howitzer kit to build the guns, but have had to scratch build the limbers and ammunition wagons, using plastic and brass. We have also built General Service Wagons from scratch.

Our train also includes cattle wagons that were used to transport the horses. There are 26 railway vehicles in the train. 

If you visit Midland Railex then make a point of going to the HMRS building in the Mathew Kirtley Museum and see this layout as well as others that will be operating throughout the weekend.

post-4122-0-39407000-1402570870.jpg

Paul

for Midland Railex Team

A few images of some of the other layouts also  attending Midland Railex ( non-military themed):

Steam on the Cambrian

post-12870-0-47055500-1402948160.jpg

Meadow Lane TMD

post-12870-0-81692900-1402948324.jpg

more details will be published ASAP, please keep visiting this thread for the latest information.

Steve

Railex Team

Ashover No4 Coach progress report.

post-12870-0-70264500-1403033573_thumb.jpg

Ashover Light Railway Coach No.4 is starting to look more complete. All window frames (fully glazed with toughened safety glass to modern standards) are ready for fitting; airbrake pipe work has been fitted and connected up.

Both bogies have now been completed and are being stripped and painted. Inside, the flooring nears completion with just varnishing left to do. The doors will be fitted once we're sure the partitions don't need adjusting again.

On the exterior, all wood work is  now complete and in undercoat/primer.. Several coats of paint, each containing more gloss will be brushed onto the coach before it is ready for sign writing and varnishing.

The Ashover coach will officially be launched back into traffic on the 16th and 17th August 2014 during the Midland Railex event.

The Leighton Buzzards Baldwin will haul No4, recreating a scene from the Ashover Light Railway for the first time in over 60 years.

For more information on the restoration of Ashover No4 please visit:

www.gvlr.org.uk/ashover/ashover_timeline.html

Steve

Railex Team

The Golden Valley Light Railway will also have their sales stand in the station building at Butterley Park (next to the National Fork Truck Centre) with books, models, hardware railwayana and much more for sale.  

Archived