So it was used yesterday - exciting stuff!   It all seemed to go off without a hitch, engine got turned and the turntable worked, so what's the problem?  Did anyone manage to get any pictures of the event?  There are some on the CRS site but I guess you 'all know that!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

So it was used yesterday - exciting stuff!   It all seemed to go off without a hitch, engine got turned and the turntable worked, so what's the problem?  Did anyone manage to get any pictures of the event?  There are some on the CRS site but I guess you 'all know that!

Brian.

We don't know what the problem was but various of us aired theories in the early part of this thread and i wouldn't be at all surprised if the answer lies among them - the privatised railway runs in its own ways its mysteries to perform.

But whatever the problems were be they mechanical or paper something seems to have been sorted and the good Cap'n might, or might not, ne able to share with us how matters came to be resolved for this particular job and maybe for the future as well.  All I would say is that if I had a turntable in Cornwall and someone else wanted to use it I would expect them to not only cross my palm with silver but also absolve me of any responsibility for anything happening to their engines while on my turntable; that's how the railway works nowadays.

And it wasn't much different in final BR days when I very happily unloaded onto the InterCity business costs for infrastructure which they were using but which the business I was in had been paying for but didn't need.

• RMweb Gold

From conversations on this subject with support crews I'm involved with, although obviously CK is the man for this and knows the complete story, that the tt has become somewhat 'rocky'.

• RMweb Gold

From conversations on this subject with support crews I'm involved with, although obviously CK is the man for this and knows the complete story, that the tt has become somewhat 'rocky'.

The necessary parties are working with each other to achieve a satisfactory outcome for everyone, more in due course! ;)

• RMweb Gold

The necessary parties are working with each other to achieve a satisfactory outcome for everyone, more in due course! ;)

Okeydokey, say 11 o'clock then.... :sungum:

A most interesting discussion and anxiously awaiting the fate of the TT.  Could someone tell me the diameter, obviously big enough for large tender locos but as the CMR had only 0-6-0Ts, is it the original or a later replacement.  It still would have to align with the shed stalls somehow.

Passed it hundreds of times years ago but never knew much about BZ other than from St Blazey Road.

Brian.

Don't know if the TT has always been as big, but the CMR 0-6-0T's were intended to run coupled back-to-back. I'd be interested to know the diameter, and if it could handle proper loco's wot the GW didn't have, ie Pacifics.

Ed

Don't know if the TT has always been as big, but the CMR 0-6-0T's were intended to run coupled back-to-back. I'd be interested to know the diameter, and if it could handle proper loco's wot the GW didn't have, ie Pacifics.

Ed

It would appear so, Ed. It's a 70' one, according to the VCT

http://www.tt.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ts/turnInfo.asp?Ref=11

• 5 months later...

Time to open up this subject again.  A lot of water has passed under the bridge and according to Heritage Railway, things haven't changed much.  The problems (turning tour train locos in Cornwall) still exist and the season begins in April with the first train.  DB seems to continue its lack of interest and nobody seems to know what is supposedly wrong with the darn thing.  It turned locos OK on its last use this year so are they being bloody minded or what?  Many preserved railways use them now so what is so difficult? 

Happy New Year

Brian.

If DB even just oiled the thing it would be a marvellous PR ploy, Rail could even do a spread about it having a top down overhaul!

That's the point.  If its working, it can't be that bad and the B & W already volunteered to do the 'oiling'.  But these days,  it can't be that easy!

Happy New Year

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Lets just wait and see how matters unfold shortly :)

Agreed. As far as I know, the discussions are still taking place, there is no alarm in the charter train camp at the moment, and I have spoken to West Coast only very recently about a related matter.

• 1 year later...

Another year has gone by but in this months HR once again the turntable makes news.  This time money is on the table to the tune of 50K Pounds feasibility study grant for the shed and turntable.  Sadly feasibility studies have a habit of disappearing into a maze of bureaucracy never to heard from again.  The Cornwall based Roundhouse group has the cash, Google can't find them  but  hopefully something good will come out of all this.

Brian.

• 8 months later...

Skip forward about eight months and now I read according to HR magazine that all is well at SBZ with the turntable.  There has been so many comments over the years that it is hard to understand how this was accomplished in a comparatively short time span.  The article also stated that there are now two other interested parties, Roundhouse Limited and Cambrian Transport, who seem very accomplished at this kind of operation and they certainly did well in this instance.  Also mentioned was that Roundhouse Ltd are 'formulating plans and seeking funding to carry out a full restoration of the shed'.  This in spite of the rather grumpy owner of the 'industrial estate', so is all this feasible?

As you may guess, although far from the county I have a great interest in all things Cornish, particularly its railways and this project, so it would be good to learn any info from those who might share this interest and who on the spot. 

Archived