Probably every preserved line would like a T/T but where would they put it?  Its a pretty good sized piece of infrastructure and there aren't many turntable stores where they may be obtained.  The WSR lucked out; not only a T/T but a triangle as well!

Welcome to the group!

• RMweb Premium

Do any other local councils pay for the upkeep of railway infrastructure that has limited potential for use?

I do wonder just how many trains would then visit the Duchy (a rather limited number I would guess) and from these just how many of the passengers would then visit the attractions that it has been suggested pay for the TT. I would suspect that the economics for these attractions just would not add up.

• RMweb Gold

Folks - I'll keep you posted as far as is appropriate on a public forum, but it will be a few weeks before any further real news can be reported.

Phil is 100% correct in terms of NR and DBS prioritising their spend, and the same goes for some outside parties such as Cornwall Council, but stranger things have happened before, so I'm sure that the parties interested in seeing the turntable restored won't close the door on any idea that may help.

The B&WR doesn't have any land available for a turntable as things stand, nor is it a priority for them, when they have other projects to consider.

Also, if outside party funding were found to make this piece of infrastructure operational again, it wouldn't be the only example of train operators investing in infrastructure to safeguard or enhance their future operations.

To answer the Duck's query about using Laira - yes, this is possible and was done for the 'Great Britain 7' at Easter, but it involves a heck of a lot of unremunerative running and some diesel haulage on what would normally be steam, so I think that this will affect the economics of any steam charter. Perhaps it is possible to equate a monetary value with the amount of mileage where diesel is substituted for steam (ie. the more miles you run diesel in lieu of steam, the less the demand, ultimately affecting ticket sales and perhaps even the viability of the whole trip).

• RMweb Premium

Steam Workings may well increase in 'terminations' at Newton Abbot/Paignton then followed by trips to Kingsbridge? Exeter again is a good all rounder for out and back by SR/WR routes. I've done that route quite a few times. 

As far as the Great Britain goes, maybe 'heritage diesel' in Cornwall would be acceptable and cost effective? Anyhow this is all speculative and is OT re the TT situation other than in its need to support steam workings in Kernow.

P

Actually, the P&DSR (is it still called that?) is fortunate to have a T/T at Churston which means a guaranteed tourist train destination for the Torbay area and down to Kingswear and Dartmouth.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose most have noticed in Heritage Railway that the B & W have volunteered to take care of the St Blazey turntable.  They make it sound so easy - a bit of grease and oil everywhere!  Its a good gesture but how far it will go in this day and age is open to conjecture, with all the liability problems and H & S to contend with, not to mention DBS and NR. 

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose most have noticed in Heritage Railway that the B & W have volunteered to take care of the St Blazey turntable.  They make it sound so easy - a bit of grease and oil everywhere!  Its a good gesture but how far it will go in this day and age is open to conjecture, with all the liability problems and H & S to contend with, not to mention DBS and NR. 

Brian.

Sorry to disappoint you, folks, but this story is not true. The GM of the B&WR told me this himself last week. My comments about them not having enough room still apply!

We are continuing to work on this one behind the scenes.

Why am I not surprised?  For quite a while now both HR and RM have developed what appears to be journalistic fervour a la tabloids.  First with all the news and all that.  Both magazines, while printing similar news, race each other  but all depends on the delivery date to ones mailbox. I wonder if there will be a retraction on this subject.

Probably we should let the good Cap'n work his magic and wait and see.

Brian.

Running forty miles or so  tender first is not exactly the professional way to do it and does not inspire public confidence.  No doubt those who have shelled out good money to ride the excursions would prefer the loco pointing in the right direction also. 

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Running forty miles or so  tender first is not exactly the professional way to do it and does not inspire public confidence.  No doubt those who have shelled out good money to ride the excursions would prefer the loco pointing in the right direction also. 

Brian.

But I suspect they'd rather have a steam loco pointing the wrong way than a diesel loco.

Brian.

But even in the days when steam traction was the norm, this happened on some routes.

I am unsure why a loco travelling tender first would not inspire public confidence? Would the same be said for a class 20 travelling nose first?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

But even in the days when steam traction was the norm, this happened on some routes.

I am unsure why a loco travelling tender first would not inspire public confidence? Would the same be said for a class 20 travelling nose first?

Ian

The tender-first issue is more to do with (a) the restricted pathing that this offers, due to a lesser speed, (b) the increased time in the schedule as a loco turn is forced on the charter operation at Plymouth, in order to get the engine chimney-first and © crewing conditions, in that this is not the 1930s now, and tender-first running on most locos exposes the crews to the weather and coal dust and may make the use of modern in-cab equipment less easy (eg. GSMR).

Running tender first - point taken, but this these are charters with a lot of the general public paying a lot of money.  As in days of old, TF running was common but mainly on secondary routes or branch lines, not what the GP sees as express trains on the main line.  Undoubtedly the reasons the Cap'n adds are more the real reason rather than our enthusiast assumptions.

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I notice that the July 6th steam working to Cornwall reverses at Plymouth and runs to Par tender first. Apologies if this has already been discussed.

P

Can anyone confirm whether or not this reversal is still taking place tomorrow please.

Yes it is.

The outward journey tomorrow is about 1.5 hours longer than normal, partly due to the loco reversal at Plymouth Friary, but also a 50 min wait at Dawlish Warren...

The reversal is not taking place tomorrow and the steamer is chimney first straight into Kernowland (no detour via Friary but is booked to wait time in Plymouth platform 7 from 1211-1333), it will then use the (magically repaired) turntable at st Blazey.

Edit-

No wait at the Warren either.

Times-

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U55194/2014/06/29/advanced

Archived