RBE Concepts 3D Thread - Welded rail train in N & Class 151

After watching a video of one of the LWRT's back in the 80s being hauled by a class 47 I felt it would be interesting to run an N gauge one on Millers Dale once complete, I certainly haven't seen one modelled so rather rare on the circuit I feel. At the moment I'm airing towards running empty but who knows I may discover something ultra flexible to use as a load. Anyway I've started with the basic perch wagon, I think its starting to come together now I think. I've added bogies although I wont print them I will use ATM's instead but I wanted to get the overall effect. I still need to adress a few areas and sort out the rail carrying butts but not far to go on this, shapeways uploader sayis it will print in FUD but whether in reality it will who knows, I've kept things fairly chunky to hopefully give it a chance. It would be nice for one of the big manufacturers to do one of these rather than a 3D print example but for now this will have to do!! 

What do we think so far?

post-6894-0-69889500-1400540407_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

If you want flexi rail then have a word with N cale Kits (Was ALan Curtis).

http://www.nscalekits.co.uk/welded_rail.html

Hes a UK based USA N scale kits. He did have one of his welded rail sets running on Santa Barbara a few years ago and they went round the 12 inch curves in the fiddleyard.

Ian

PS - bearing in mind that his kits are white metal so had plenty of weight to keep them on the the curves.

Cheers Ian I had seen those before but didnt realise that they were UK based. I may look into it. The rails look a bit chunky at 64 thou though. I tried bending a bit of my code 40 bullhead last night and its very flexible much more so than the flatbottom. Of course welded rail is flatbottom but as a load it may work. I worry about S curves more than anything tbh. A working load is a long way off yet though so I wont get to distracted by it for now.

Hi RBE,

That's looks fantastic.

I think as Ian says, weight may be an issue for a loaded example. You might want to consider leaving a void in the spine of the wagon, where a stock brass bar could be inserted to add some weight.

Cheers, Mark.

Cheers Mark.

If Im honest Im not sure how open frame the central portion is on these. I have modelled them quite see through and I intend on fitting an etched steel deck mesh. Whether there is gubbins in the centre that a chunk of brass wont detract from I dont know but I dont see why I cant add the weight if I need to. Tbh it probably wouldnt be noticable once the mesh is on and painted in any case.

Cheers matey Im liking the progress, been working on the butts in my lunch break and thinking that these will be plug in items to allow the mesh to be fixed and also make it possible to make the later type also available as an option, can paint them seperately too which should make life easier. I havent really looked at couplers yet but the atm bogies have coupling boxes that take either a rapido or a nem alternative so for the average modeller they would suffice. I may just couple the whole of my train with dg's to match my stock or maybe a 3D printed version of my plug in pipe And chain simulation couplers for the intermediate couplers with dg's at each end Im not sure yet.

Im planning on making them available yes. It depends on whether I feel the prints are of a suitable standard once Ive had a chance to see one completed.

• RMweb Gold

Im planning on making them available yes. It depends on whether I feel the prints are of a suitable standard once Ive had a chance to see one completed.

Very much interested on how these turn out.

Would look good on Banbury.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

No problem Ian, you'll be interested in the later style butts then yes?

I have not studied the variants / mods to these wagons but anything that ran around 2011 is of interest.

I do need a bigger fiddleyard now!!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I'm also interested in a set for Hinksey Yard (also the later variants c.2010).

Both Banbury and Hinksey have long fiddle yard roads, we just need lots more of them to get all the different trains in  :D

Cheers,

Dave

If Im honest Im not sure how open frame the central portion is on these. I have modelled them quite see through and I intend on fitting an etched steel deck mesh. Whether there is gubbins in the centre that a chunk of brass wont detract from I dont know but I dont see why I cant add the weight if I need to. Tbh it probably wouldnt be noticable once the mesh is on and painted in any case.

Sorry, I can't see the images in the OP for some wierd reason - the middle of them does seem to be a bit see through, but if you're only adding the weights when you are running them loaded, and not if they are modelled empty, then the load should hide the weight on the loaded wagons anyhow?

YEA_979117_DB_WandsworthRd_170510%20%287

YEA_979614_DB_WandsworthRd_170510%20%287

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

I was following this on your layout thread but I definitely think it's worthy of its own topic!

I'd be very interested in running one on Horseley Fields (2010+ guise, really) so I guess that would mean the later style of supports, though TBH I have not looked closely at the wagons in terms of design.  In terms of length, it may well be that some selective compression would be used - if the actual train is two "outers" with cabs, and then 12 intermediates, I'd probably be happy to run the outer wagons with, say 6 or 8 intermediates.

Please keep us posted!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Cav,

Excellent! I remember these sets being stabled around Springs Branch depot years ago. Think a rake of these would be good on Dallam, I was going to scratchbuild but these would save me a lot of time! Running one loaded would be interesting.

Cheers

Simon

maybe a 3d print for the wagon frame etc and an etch for the mesh floor?

Yes thats the plan. I mentioned that earlier in the thread.

Judging be the interest this is a worthwhile venture. I will pursue an interchangable butt system to allow both versions to be made.

just pitching here, but can't you buy flextrack and pull the rails out to use on your carriages? Better than trying to find some metal strips. Best of all you'd even get the rail profiles!

Unfortunately, they're just not flexible enough, and would keep the wagons going straight on at curves..

Archived