Comet Mk1s with Bachmann Mk1s

Just a follow up question for all you very helpful Mk1 experts out there - is there any external difference between an SK and an SO? If I have a Bachmann SK and put an SO interior in it is that enough to make it an SO or are there other differences?

Thanks 

Apart from the obvious numbering and end lettering differences sub, just the roof ventilator layout - considerably less on the SO/TSO than the SK....

TSO

http://shed83a.smugmug.com/CoachingStock/Mk1-Pass-Stock/Mk1-TSO-4xxx/17432488_ZjVSnS#!i=2065941165&k=qzvNZ8s&lb=1&s=A

SK

http://shed83a.smugmug.com/CoachingStock/Mk1-Pass-Stock/Mk1-SK/17417109_7kb5nn#!i=1324726418&k=CcXKc5V&lb=1&s=A

File those horrid ribs off and use Comet or Southern Pride vents. I can pm you a roof layot if you do not have one.

I would do, but then I'd have to do my entire Mk1 fleet which at the moment stands at over 40 coaches. I think I'd very quickly lose patience doing that to 40 coaches! 

Hi guys,

I need some Mk1s in variants that haven't been released by Bachmann - specifically

2x crimson/cream FOs

2. What other modifications would I need to make to an FK to make an FO? Is there a better coach to use in terms of roof and underframe detail?

Eh?  :scratchhead:  I thought Bachmann did produce FOs - I'm sure I bought one last year - so all you would need is to repaint them into the crimson/cream livery that you need.

I'm definitely sure Bachmann have never produced a true FO. Apparently they did an N gauge one, and people were expecting a 00 one afterwards but it never materialised. The only other one they did was the ex-Pullman Parlour First (or was it Parlour Second?) to FO in blue/grey as a set of 2. They were a ModelZone exclusive. 

I'm definitely sure Bachmann have never produced a true FO. ....

In that case, I must get into the attic and pull out the one I bought last year, and see what it actually is..... I picked up a couple of fairly cheap Bachmann Mk.1s in the last couple of years (none more than about twelve quid), including RMB, BSK or BCK, and I could have sworn there was one labelled as "FO" amongst them.

Incidentally, have you considered Coopercraft Mk.1s? Although the full kits - there were only four: SK, CK, FO and BCK - are no longer available, practically every part is available as a spare (except for the roof, but you could use a suitable roof section from Comet or MJT), and I'm pretty sure the FO coach sides are amongst them. Full underframe kits are also available. As Coopercraft have something of a recent chequered reputation, I'd suggest you collar the trade stand at a show, since the man behind it tends to have a policy of non-communication by most other means.

• RMweb Gold

In that case, I must get into the attic and pull out the one I bought last year, and see what it actually is..... I picked up a couple of fairly cheap Bachmann Mk.1s in the last couple of years (none more than about twelve quid), including RMB, BSK or BCK, and I could have sworn there was one labelled as "FO" amongst them.Incidentally, have you considered Coopercraft Mk.1s? Although the full kits - there were only four: SK, CK, FO and BCK - are no longer available, practically every part is available as a spare (except for the roof, but you could use a suitable roof section from Comet or MJT), and I'm pretty sure the FO coach sides are amongst them. Full underframe kits are also available. As Coopercraft have something of a recent chequered reputation, I'd suggest you collar the trade stand at a show, since the man behind it tends to have a policy of non-communication by most other means.

Some of the Coopercraft kits are still available, but I don't think they produced an FO but they did do an FK - which is still available on their website.

I would do, but then I'd have to do my entire Mk1 fleet which at the moment stands at over 40 coaches. I think I'd very quickly lose patience doing that to 40 coaches! 

No: I think you would do one and then become addicted to the improvement. It's a quick job and then a quick blow over with the airbrush. I have 85 brass sided coaches and if you do stuff in batches it's soon achieved.

However the offer still stands on the TO drg I do not think that's much of a job either and the vents do not co-incide with the ribs.

You do like your copperplate font, 

It goes back a bit! I used to work as a craft teacher pre bus pass. I used to handwrite my hand-outs but the dictate came down to type them. Then the kids could not read them!

The a has a tail in the default font making it look like a b to the child with a learning disability.

Anyway the nearest font to my handwriting seemed to cure the problem so the superior clarity of this font became my standard. Who handwrites now!

Back to the Mk1 theme:- BR used Gills Sans for a similar reason so a 1 became a I

BR then used a yellow band to highlight first class. Now we have red doors to differentiate doors and windows.

This leads on to transfers as I have been “mixing and matching” a few transfers to Brand some Mk1s. I have to say some (HMRS) are better than others for fidelity to shape and colour.

I also threw away a Jubilee cab side number as it looked more 4565I than 4565I . Anyone else agree?

Just a follow up question for all you very helpful Mk1 experts out there - is there any external difference between an SK and an SO? If I have a Bachmann SK and put an SO interior in it is that enough to make it an SO or are there other differences?

Thanks 

The Mk1 TOs had 2 roof vent patterns.

Early ones were staggered and later (Commonwealth bogies) in line as sketch.

post-15321-0-49299100-1401995954_thumb.jpg

That's a great diagram. Thank you.

Just by the by, to my untrained eye the CK and FO sides look the same to me. Would a crimson/cream CK suitably renumbered with 1s on the doors and the right interior work as an FO?

That's a great diagram. Thank you.

Just by the by, to my untrained eye the CK and FO sides look the same to me. Would a crimson/cream CK suitably renumbered with 1s on the doors and the right interior work as an FO?

No.  The window layout of the corridor side of the CK is completely different to that of the FO.  As for the compartment side, the first class compartments of the CK are wider than the second.  I'm sure someone will post pics which will explain this clearly.

Chris

Archived