HO Monon inspired layout

Light mornings mean even earlier morning cat duty so a little more time to do some modelling. Always stress out on electrics so will be taking time to add weathering to this gondola that by the build date will have had around a decade of running.

post-9435-0-53317000-1497334953_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Extra feed soldered in and bodged cable in place, power onto that short dead section. Will have to find a neater solution when end board taken off again.

Started to run through a sequence, the use of the dice is creating changes to formation of the trains and which spots are switched somwill preserve a little more.

5am cats and a crisp summer morning so no return to bed but garden and the start of the weathering of the gondola. Using the Lifecolour liquid pigment set only on this car with the aim of building up depth of layers.

So far sides have had frame dirt carriage grime and the floor only what they call smoke

Carriage grime is good for knocking back the plastic sheen of the original paint.

post-9435-0-81925200-1497422414_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-76551200-1497422431_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Could not remember where I had put this car - found it amongst the Menasha stock.

Monon had something called rider cars and this is a resin kit from the US I bought some time again. Will be next through the fettling and weathering shops and will make something different to add to the train sequence

post-9435-0-13708900-1497509040_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Had a go at running part of the sequence I had devised using the dice and operated for 45 mins and got to sequence 4 out of 10 so I reckon there will be enough to keep me interested. Sequence has also highlighted where I still need to acquire stock.

Running wise the atlas coal,hoppers are still very twitchy over switches so more work needed there plus identified another annoying short section where power drops off so another feed will be required.

Post man left a card - it appears it's something I ordered October 2015 - see what tomorrow brings!

• Like 1

Parcel picked up and goodies include Monon 41' gondola in black livery, welcome change to the 2 bauxite livery versions.

2 versions of a simple jib type crane which looking at them will work out quite nicely. One is, wall mounted and is destined for Vulcan Iron works and the other looks as if it will go on loading dock

post-9435-0-48983300-1497704546_thumb.jpg

This is not a 2 minute job and requires quite a lot of accuracy to ensure the basic structure is at right angle upright and boom. There are paper templates provided for the angled ironwork on the side but I will replace with ones cut from 10 thou plasticard

post-9435-0-14204800-1497729087_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-87356800-1497729095_thumb.jpg

Time to pack in for today. Main wooden elements in place with top and bottom pivots and mountings constructed. More a mini craftsman kit than the Titchy Trains. I think the more massive beams will sit well against the front of Vulcan Iron Works. It would dominate the small loading dock too much

post-9435-0-17385800-1497732235_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-26550300-1497732254_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Very hot night, surprised the cats by getting up before them! Added extra weathering layers onto the black monon gondola. Needs city grime powders and calling it done. If as hot as yesterday it's not going to be pleasant in the classrooms today!

post-9435-0-38180600-1497853584_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

33C by 11.00 am in the classroom so was a long 90 mins to lunch. Paint drying too quickly on the paper and fans just moving air around. Block was designed in the mid 1960s when thermometers did not get that high and sweaters and vets were complusory even in summer.

Massive cat fight outside meant an early morning get up and cooler so chance to crack on with the jib crane

City industrial dust added - last load some sort of stone and when kadees added ready for service on Vimes Street. Schedule suggests will need 5 gondolas to enable the traffic to be carried so will be on the lookout for 2 more to add to the fleet, probably Nickel Plate

post-9435-0-93789200-1498027483_thumb.jpg

• Like 1