You know sometimes you just need a 'quick win', a nice short project to clear some of the backlog of modelling clutter. This is one such task involving the Bachmann GW Shunters Truck (38-676) and a little detailing. The Bachmann model is a very good representation of the M3 Diagram truck, if a little lightweight, and of course I had to convert it to EM Gauge and post date to circa 1958 condition to satisfy my needs.

My chosen prototype is No. W41734, built in 1913 to Lot 756. This chariot (as railwaymen referred to them) spent it's entire working life at Newton Abbot, predominantly employed on the Carriage Siding Shunt Duty. In my period this would involve being pretty much permanently attached to one of 83A's allocation of 94xx Pannier Tanks. As such it was vacuum fitted and this example was also later (mid 1960's) steam pipe fitted as well.

First up I tackled the re-wheeling and was delighted to discover that Gibson (8 Plain Spoke) 'EM Gauge' Wagon Wheels dropped straight in, with only minor tweaking to the brake shoes. I had considered using MJT W-Irons but on such a short wagon I don't think it necessary. Next up was the urgent need to increase weight and Deluxe Liquid Gravity was poured into the removable toolbox and into all space between the under frame cross members. This has resulted in an acceptable 32g, which runs freely and has so far not disgraced itself through point-work.

My attention now turned to the detailing. Couplings are Exactoscale Instanters with a magnetic iron outer link, all chemically blackened using C&L products. The vac pipes and supporting stanchion are as supplied. I also fitted MJT Churchward Lamp Irons to the bufferbeam, W41734 was modified with these in the early 1950's but unusually kept the irons on the toolbox as well for a period. A full repaint into BR(W) Departmental Black followed, and running number and tare transfers came from the Woodhead WT58 sheet. The usual weathering mix of washes, powders and a dust with the airbrush preceded a misting of varnish to seal. Finally the axleboxes got the oily gloss treatment. To complete the job I added one of the Bachmann supplied shunters poles, a RT Models oil can and a Springside GW Pattern Tail Lamp.

So there you have it, a couple of nights work, hopefully improving what is already a cracking little model. I attach a couple of B&W images of what is already a pretty monotone, but characterful subject.

Regards,

Andy.

post-7049-0-50831300-1401299536_thumb.jpg

post-7049-0-65615300-1401299552_thumb.jpg

That's a really a top job Andy.First class.

Agreed top job indeed, mind you if that's "First Class" what will Second and Third be like when they pull up to take passengers ? :)

( only joking!)

• RMweb Gold

Lovely job Andy - I've wondered if any of the 'passenger' ones ever had screw couplings although I'm sure the Shunters would have preferred Instanters.

The use of the word 'chariot' to describe them always strikes me as a bit odd - I think it originated with a certain Mr Russell in one of his books but oddly in all the yards I was ever involved with on the Western (although they had, alas, gone from most of them by the time I arrived) they were always referred to as 'dummies' or 'runners' and use of the word 'chariot' brought forth only blank looks.  So it's long struck me that the term was possibly localised in use - it would be interesting to find out.

Hi Mike,

All images I have seen of the various diagrams show them fitted with instanter couplings. It was the late David Rouse that first introduced me to the name 'Chariot'. That said they were certainly also refered to as 'Dummies' in South Devon too.

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike and Andy

David Rouse penned an excellent article entitled Shunting Western Style which appeared in the September 1979 issue of Steam World. In that, he refers to 'chariots' or 'dummys' as shunters' trucks. Interestingly, he uses the term 'runners' in relation to expresses. I'd guess that a whole book could be written about local terms!

Another excellent article by the same author entitled Newton Abbot's '51s' in the 1950s appeared in the February 1979 issue of Steam World.

Brian

I was fortunate to visit David on a few occasions at his Yeovil home. He was a font of knowledge and very generous and patient with my endless thirst for Newton Abbot anecdotes. He had spent many years working up through the grades at 83A and was instrumental in adding much of the colour and detail to my research. The two articles to which Brian refers are just a taster of his recollections. David was a proper railwayman, a gentleman and he is missed.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

I was sat on NA platform yesterday not far from where these would have strutted their stuff.What a depressing site the place where the 'works' once stood.A dance clothing warehouse stands there for Christ's sake.Oh for those old days again.

It really is hard to believe now that over 2000 people were employed by the railway at Newton Abbot, everything from Boilersmiths to Buffet Stewards. The whole site is a depressing shadow of a once great Railway Centre.

Whilst I'm sure a Dance Clothing Warehouse brings some employment to the town, it's not quite a Divisional Locomotive Shed and Works now is it!

Andy.

• 6 months later...

I've heard recently that the old carriage shed at newton abbot that still stands today is being sold off for demolishing an rebuilding in to more modern units. That will be another part of the old depot gone.

Regards Neil

Thanks Neil,

I'd not heard that bit of news but it comes as no big surprise. The former Carriage & Wagon Works at the southern end of the station has had limited use since the ex David & Charles publishing firm moved out. The buildings must have been deteriorating as externally no work seems to have taken place in recent years.

Another bit of the railway works site looks set to bite the dust then, leaving only the remaining part of the Loco Factory. Incidentally when I passed on the train last week I noticed a lean-to extension at the traverser end of the Factory.

It's going to cost me a fortune to put this lot back after the Euromillions win!

Regards,

Andy.

Archived