A GWR Signal Box for Diesels in the Duchy

Hi 2Manyspams, great article. I'm building Kingham a GWR type 7c signalbox at present. You mentioned getting drawings from "tame cornish signalman" could you possibly let me have his contact information, or possibly copies of your plans. I haven't found any plans of what I'm building and my supply of photos is very limited so any information you have would be most helpful. thanks, Steve.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve unfortunately it wasn't drawings but photos that the tame Cornish signalman provided...plus a few dimensions. The overall dimensions came from counting bricks and measuring a glazing panel at a museum. St Blazey wasn't a standard design and was extended and altered over time so a standard drawing wasn't much help. I do have some calculations somewhere but nothing like a scale drawing.

• RMweb Gold

Hi 2Manyspams, great article. I'm building Kingham a GWR type 7c signalbox at present. You mentioned getting drawings from "tame cornish signalman" could you possibly let me have his contact information, or possibly copies of your plans. I haven't found any plans of what I'm building and my supply of photos is very limited so any information you have would be most helpful. thanks, Steve.

Great Western Signalling, Adrian Vaughan, OPC has a copy of the official drawing of Kingham West Box on page 83. 1905 drawing,  brick built, 6 front windows, 2 side windows, hip roof

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I feel embarrassed at my version now. Especially as I was probably trying to show you how good I thought it was!

I was the idiot asking about sash windows at Telford on the Saturday, there's loads needed for Pencarrow. Very impressed with the ones you had cut. Windows can make or break a building IMO. We were lucky enough to get Brian from Shawplan to do those for the signalbox and they made the model.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi David, not to my knowledge no. Andy took some photos and I sent in some words to the editorial team but heard nothing and I didn't supply any build photos. There's more in this thread than any mag article could have covered though.