A GWR Signal Box for Diesels in the Duchy

• RMweb Premium

Thing is,

We need to do something, well, else - now

What's next?

Some show down in Barnicle, Barnsteeple, Barnstibal, Bumstable, Barnstaple and then back to building Pencarrow. Lots to do on Pencarrow. 

Spookily enough I found that one earlier, the one at the back!

At liskeard in 1989 we had an identical Fiesta, first time I drove it we had a rascal in the back and were driving down the old A38 at Lantoom Hill just between Dobwalls and Liskeard.

Sarge is in the front, me driving and we are 'hurrying' back to the nick as matey is kicking off.

Not used to driving an automatic, I am doing about 70 and go to change gear, flooring the clutch pedal, which turns out to be the brakes!

Luckily sarge eventually saw the funny side and we both laughed as he peeled his face off the windscreen ...........had to leave the rascal to calm down a bit as he was going to skin me, or something or other!!!!!

I actually got BRM, the Sun and the Telegraph in a bidding war for the exclusive. Lets just say it's sufficient to retire on (for a day).

Joking aside, I was somewhat surprised and flattered to be asked to do a article on the box. Those that know me are aware that I'm never happy with the stuff I produce and therefore, in my mind, don't rate it highly at all. I can, for instance, see a few things in Andy's photo that need further work. Just the way I'm wired I'm afraid.

I occasionally get asked about painting (the DitD pub stonework raised the odd question), I'll have to work out what it is I actually do but, to be honest I just make it up as I go and muck around until it looks about right. Mind you it will probably look shocking purple under the layout lights - paint has a horrible habit of changing colour under different lights. I do, however, use a very limited pallet of colours and constantly mix to get a lot of subtle colour variation. 

I know what you mean about being over critical of your own work. I am exactly the same. Never happy and want to get on with the next job to use the improved methods etc learned on the previous work.

I think it is a lovely bit of work. I will re read when I start my layout. Looking forward to some updates on your layout.

Yes, the R2D2 view:

attachicon.gifsignal3.jpg

It is written in scriptures that when two or more S&T men are gathered together and a wire is to be routed between these two contacts that they will immediately make the appropriate noise to imitate said star wars character..

post-4034-0-42724100-1404490989_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for this thread, inspiring and informative. I was trying to work out the best way the make a double pitched roof for the signal box I am working on at the moment, and reading this thread solved my dilemma.

You weathered brickwork is also an inspiration, as is the thread for Diesels in the Duchy, so thank you for sharing your work.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for this thread, inspiring and informative. I was trying to work out the best way the make a double pitched roof for the signal box I am working on at the moment, and reading this thread solved my dilemma.

You weathered brickwork is also an inspiration, as is the thread for Diesels in the Duchy, so thank you for sharing your work.

Jamie

Really glad you've enjoyed the thread Jamiel, good to have been 'inspirational' too!

I hope you've not read the entire Diesels in the Duchy thread, it's been known to severely damage those that have tried...(PS although I started the DitD thread, the layout isn't mine but Damian's. At the time (4yrs ago) I was trying to encourage Damian and John into the world of forums).

The next buildings I'll be working on will be in 7mm on my own layout Pencarrow Bridge. 

My signal box is progressing pretty well, the roof with thanks to this thread.

I followed the making of the buildings in Diesels in the Duchy in some detail. Really lovely work on the doors in particular. I have quite a few images from the first 20 or so pages squirreled away of my computer for reference in building techniques. After that I have skipped through a lot, it is a huge thread.

Don't worry I am not completely copying your techniques, just stealing from the best, the bits that fit. I do like to use a thin plywood base for my buildings, it makes them extremely strong, maybe overkill, but with a young daughter and a cat better to be safe than sorry.

The rolling stock is from a period different to mine, but is lovely to look at the weathering. Between you and Damian, you have created a wonderful layout.

Good luck with the 7mm building for Pencarrow Bridge, I will keep an eye on those too.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

• RMweb Premium

Just back from my hols in North Norfolk - good to see the box wasn't left on shed...

Hope you're all having a good time up there and that the thunder storms aren't as bad as some of those I drove through this afternoon.

Don't forget to pack Old Gringo - we need him next weekend too.

Just back from my hols in North Norfolk - good to see the box wasn't left on shed...

Hope you're all having a good time up there and that the thunder storms aren't as bad as some of those I drove through this afternoon.

Don't forget to pack Old Gringo - we need him next weekend too.

Already packed....