A GWR Signal Box for Diesels in the Duchy

Ahhh but think of the memories you have......

Close your eyes and you will always be together, try to remember the good times and not the bad.

If the pain is to much, try plentymoreboxes.com or even better readersboxes.co.uk

• RMweb Premium

Ahhh but think of the memories you have......

Close your eyes and you will always be together, try to remember the good times and not the bad.

If the pain is to much, try plentymoreboxes.com or even better readersboxes.co.uk

Thanks, that's a big help to me, sniff. 

I know what you mean.

My daughter recently moved out; we used to keep her on a shelf...

My daughter moved out years ago .................... but her twin sons have all but moved back in !

But they can tell a 60 from a 47 from a 37 from a 20 and a Beyer Garrat  and greet the Colas log trains to and from Briton Ferry with great excitement (they're 4 yrs old).

Brian R

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Breaking news (well sort of)!

The box was passed to Mr Ross last night but was intercepted by that Mr York for a few minutes for an illicit 'photo shoot' in the back of his van...

post-6675-0-98665900-1404413808_thumb.jpg

I'm reliably informed I'm writing a 'how I made this' type article for a future edition of BRM. Hussar!

Does anyone have any views of any particular aspect of this build they'd like to be covered??

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

But they can tell a 60 from a 47 from a 37 from a 20 and a Beyer Garrat  and greet the Colas log trains to and from Briton Ferry with great excitement (they're 4 yrs old).

Brian R

Well done that man!

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any views of any particular aspect of this build they'd like to be covered??

How much are they paying you. :jester:

Seriously though.The weathering of the brick work please.

The box was passed to Mr Ross last night but was intercepted by that Mr York for a few minutes for an illicit 'photo shoot' in the back of his van...

attachicon.gifIMAG6172.jpg

I'm reliably informed I'm writing a 'how I made this' type article for a future edition of

Postman pat, postman pat

Shouldn't he be looking through the camera at the subject?

We don't won't a BRM article on the inside of the post van....

post-8734-0-49012900-1404415831_thumb.jpg

Dammit, the truth of the hi-tech mobile studio is exposed.

It really is a super model though and I thought it worth snapping before Damian secures it to DitD with that 6" nail.

Box1s.jpg

• Like 17

Dammit, the truth of the hi-tech mobile studio is exposed.

It really is a super model though and I thought it worth snapping before Damian secures it to DitD with that 6" nail.

attachicon.gifBox1s.jpg

That's not the box in the box.

This one here's has got "Hornby made in England" moulded in the bottom and the bricks are lighter

There must be some mistake.....

• RMweb Premium

Shouldn't he be looking through the camera at the subject?

Apparently he adopts a 'catch the subject by surprise' approach

"not looking, not looking, not looking, ha, got you"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How much are they paying you. :jester:

Seriously though.The weathering of the brick work please.

I actually got BRM, the Sun and the Telegraph in a bidding war for the exclusive. Lets just say it's sufficient to retire on (for a day).

Joking aside, I was somewhat surprised and flattered to be asked to do a article on the box. Those that know me are aware that I'm never happy with the stuff I produce and therefore, in my mind, don't rate it highly at all. I can, for instance, see a few things in Andy's photo that need further work. Just the way I'm wired I'm afraid.

I occasionally get asked about painting (the DitD pub stonework raised the odd question), I'll have to work out what it is I actually do but, to be honest I just make it up as I go and muck around until it looks about right. Mind you it will probably look shocking purple under the layout lights - paint has a horrible habit of changing colour under different lights. I do, however, use a very limited pallet of colours and constantly mix to get a lot of subtle colour variation. 

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMAG6172.jpg

I'm reliably informed I'm writing a 'how I made this' type article for a future edition of BRM. Hussar!

Yes, the R2D2 view:

post-13158-0-81558400-1404419717_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It looks like the 'build' part of this thread has almost run its course so, before we descend into the land of silliness, there's a little something I need to do. Apologies if this seems a little vomit inducing but I've some big thank yous to say - this wasn't a solo project and others deserve a share in the 'glory'.

First we have Craig Munday (Winterbourne), our tame signalman, who provided much of the current day information on the box - and Tim (Captain Kernow) for making the introductions. The quality photos and dimensions provided made it significantly easier to get the size of the box right.

Supporting the project all the way through has been Mike (The Stationmaster) who has provided, both on and off thread, no end of information regarding period signaling practice. He's put up with no end of daft questions and stupidity on my behalf.

Building this completely non-standard box would have been very difficult without the appropriately sized windows. Thanks must go to Brian Hanson at Shawplan for producing these to the sizes needed - they add so much to the 'look' of the box. Damian and I have had a long running relationship of fun banter and verbal 'abuse' with the guys at Shawplan and these windows were done purely as a favour - I do think, however, that the quality of the frames they can produce deserves to be commercially available.

Tim V for the excellent (almost) period shots of the signal box that helped. Very interesting to see how much or how little the box had changed over the years.

The 'usual suspects' from the DitD, Pencarrow and A Nod to Brent threads for their 'support' and 'encouragement' - thanks chaps. 

And finally Mr Ross for waiting two years for me to get my rear into gear and producing this model. 

That's me done. 

• Like 8

It looks like the 'build' part of this thread has almost run its course so, before we descend into the land of silliness, there's a little something I need to do. Apologies if this seems a little vomit inducing but I've some big thank yous to say - this wasn't a solo project and others deserve a share in the 'glory'.

First we have Craig Munday (Winterbourne), our tame signalman, who provided much of the current day information on the box - and Tim (Captain kernow) for making the introductions. The quality photos and dimensions provided made it significantly easier to get the size of the box right.

Supporting the project all the way through has been Mike (The Stationmaster) who has provided, both on and off thread, no end of information regarding period signaling practice. He's put up with no end of daft questions and stupidity on my behalf.

Building this completely non-standard box would have been very difficult without the appropriately sized windows. Thanks must go to Brian Hanson at Shawplan for producing these to the sizes needed - they add so much to the 'look' of the box. Damian and I have had a long running relationship of fun banter and verbal 'abuse' with the guys at Shawplan and these windows were done purely as a favour - I do think, however, that the quality of the frames they can produce deserves to be commercially available.

Tim V for the excellent (almost) period shots of the signal box that helped. Very interesting to see how much or how little the box had changed over the years.

The 'usual suspects' from the DitD, Pencarrow and A Nod to Brent threads for their 'support' and 'encouragement' - thanks chaps. 

And finally Mr Ross for waiting two years for me to get my rear into gear and producing this model. 

That's me done.

You're thanking me for waiting?

Idiot.....