Locos ID Please - Old Photos

Hi Guys

I now realise I am getting addicted to quirky locos so when I saw these two photos in a box of old photos I had to have them.

One seems to be some weird industrial thing that looks so odd that I wonder if it has been changed about a bit

The other one seems to be a narrow gauge loco

Can anyone tell me what these two are ?

post-20732-0-19041400-1401643408_thumb.jpg

post-20732-0-36858700-1401643410_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

I now realise I am getting addicted to quirky locos so when I saw these two photos in a box of old photos I had to have them.

One seems to be some weird industrial thing that looks so odd that I wonder if it has been changed about a bit

The other one seems to be a narrow gauge loco

Can anyone tell me what these two are ?

attachicon.gifphotoone.JPG

attachicon.gifphototwo.JPG

I'm no expert on Irish narrow gauge, but I'd say the top photo is Irish 3'-0'' gauge - Clogher Valley Railway 4-4-0T?

The lower photo is possibly a Nielson 'Box Tank' - where I can't say; most likely a quarry or reservoir contract.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

The top one is Cavan & Leitrim No. 8

Looks like it's setup for crew exchange on the run. All it needs is to coupled up to a coach with a corridor connector.

:declare:

something ive not seen before, an engine resting on its wheel guard irons while the wheels are out.

the second one looks like a quarry, looking at the state of it, it is a derelict engine put at the end of a wagon siding, the photographer was probably a friend or colleague of the gentleman taking a pic of him as he poses on the footplate, and his suit and hair style looks very pre WW2, the wagon looks like a MSC type side tipper.

If it's a Neilson, its an early one because they later changed to a more ornate tank profile like this

http://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/PDSWJR%20Locos.html

And if you still don't get anywhere with the forums in a few days, I would recommend trying the Industrial railway society.

• RMweb Premium

I think the box tank is an early Andrew Barclay , wheels, cylinder and cab are similar to other examples. The Neilsons did not have a running plate or splashers and different wheels. However locos of this age could have been rebuilt using parts from other makers.

Archived