Looking back at PEAKS

Baby Deltic

The eagerly awaited book finally arrived yesterday. Having scanned through it it looks very good and the captions are informative. Plenty of livery and headcode variations covered over all three classes. I don't think there were enough pictures of green peaks, however. The balance was nearly all blue wilth about 10% green. Some were in this guise for nearly a decade or so. I don't think there are any pictures of Peaks in GFYE.

• RMweb Gold

The eagerly awaited book finally arrived yesterday. Having scanned through it it looks very good and the captions are informative. Plenty of livery and headcode variations covered over all three classes. I don't think there were enough pictures of green peaks, however. The balance was nearly all blue wilth about 10% green. Some were in this guise for nearly a decade or so. I don't think there are any pictures of Peaks in GFYE.

I get your point but the facts are:

Cameramen in the 1950s and 1960s pointed their valuable and expensive colour film towards steam not green Peaks, how many green Peaks did you photograph by the way in colour?

There are 177 colour photographs in this title, the break up is thus:

Green liveries with and without yellow panels and full ends 28 shots.

Early blue with half yellow ends 6 shots.

Nameplates 36 shots.

45106 in green 2 shots.

Ixion in its multicoloured swapshop livery 1 shot.

Blue Peaks with and without livery embellishments 105 shots.

Considering the first Peaks went blue from 1966 and the last green ones went blue in 1972, I think this is fair representation. Also a large number of 30 and 40 somethings will not remember green Peaks anyway, they want 1970s and 1980s shots.

The book does have a full page colour shot of one Peak in green with a full yellow end (how did you miss this before putting your views on RM Web as a critic?).

If you enjoy percentages by the way and if we ignore the nameplate views some of which date from the pre-TOPS era anyway, there are 46 shots from the pre-TOPS era out of the 141 remaining shots which is almost 33%. Considering that Peaks ran for 15 years during the TOPS era and for 13 years before TOPS when the lion's share of cameramen ignored Peaks in any colour scheme in favour of the last scruffy remnants of the dwindling steam fleet. Then during the early TOPS era cameras were pointed at the last of the Westerns, then Class 40s and Deltics with the Peaks not even in the medals!

Also to answer a previous snipe on RM Web relating to Looking back at Class 37 Locomotives there are 15 shots within the book of green Class 37s, considering there are at least 32 distinct livery variants also covered within the book, the mix of liveries and eras is about right to cover the subject. If you just want pre 1960s shots then restrict yourself to the Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered series if your interests are that polarised.

I too would like to see more material from the pre TOPS era being submitted for possible use, but not enough people come forward with such shots which is a shame, as I can only see another couple of years for the financial viability for not just publishing such titles, but manufacturers releasing new models for us as well. As we are slowly becoming extinct, and those of us brave/foolish enough to put up money and try to earn a living from this are all approaching, or have already passed retirement age. So my friends think on before making negative comments towards anything on RM Web or elsewhere, lest you hasten small manufacturers decisions to hang up their hats and not work 60 to 70 hour weeks to try and please others and scratch an income out of our hobby, instead they might just chuck it all in and get on with life elsewhere as nobody enjoys being shot at do they?

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, I am entitled to mine too and I am not frightened of hiding behind seemingly annonymous RM Web identity names either to voice it if needed.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, I am entitled to mine too and I am not frightened of hiding behind seemingly annonymous RM Web identity names either to voice it if needed.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

Me neither. 

Lloyd Whellams

Baby Deltic

Eagerly awaited - sounds upbeat and positive.

Looks very good and captions informative.  - very positive.

Plenty of variations - positive.

I don't think... - a clearly qualified personal perspective, because as Lloyd stresses - he has only scanned through it, so this was all based on perception.

Kevin.  None of us wants you to struggle with your excellent range of books, and I can understand that you will naturally be protective of them, defensive even.  But don't you think your reaction was a little bit over the top?

'CHARD

'CHARD

Thanks Chard. Kevin, I think your books are excellent. I have over £100 pounds worth on order as we speak, that haven't even been printed yet, such is my confidence in your ability to come up with the goods. The Peak book is excellent too. I do happen to like blue Peaks, because that's how I remember seeing them.

Actually, all of this has made me pick up the book again and have a proper look through, and there are a fair few green peaks in the publication. Some nice full page shots too.

Had I seen the book on the Strathwood stand at a show and had a chance to preview it, I still would have bought it without hesitation.

• RMweb Gold

I take it all on board but just a few words in a throwaway comment such as "I don't think there were enough pictures of green peaks, however. The balance was nearly all blue wilth about 10% green. Some were in this guise for nearly a decade or so. I don't think there are any pictures of Peaks in GFYE." suggests incorrectly the facts, whereas I took the time to lay them out correctly. I am sorry if I offended but I am tired of reviews from some quarters that suggest their reviews or opinions to be definitive for others to read when those facts are miss-represented.

For the record a number of books have been delayed as the binders we have been using went into receivership which meant I have had six titles stuck with the old binders for just over six weeks before we could begin to get them to two new binders to complete the work, then we were at the back of their ques. Hence long delays frustrating for all of us. But even worse for the poor souls who have lost their jobs. We have stuck by UK printers and binders throughout as I do not like all the hassles that seem to come from dealing with China. But in the last few years the rush of print work towards Asia has crippled many in the printing game within the UK. Ironically some publishers will be now looking to bring their work back to the UK or try their hand in India next as China gets more expensive. Either way they will find a lot less printers and "hardback" book binders left in the UK at reasonable prices as so many have gone bust, or called it a day, because their equipment had become either un-economic to maintain or renew. Add to this the effects of the increases in energy costs on paper, this all means those of us who are heavily invested in railway publishing cannot afford the odd casual incorrect review that can be damaging to sales, however innocent the individuals intentions.

I am glad and appreciative that a large number of fellow enthusiasts do enjoy what I do my best to produce, yes it does give me a lot of satisfaction. Criticism if fair is always welcome as we all should all be attempting to do better and not resting on our laurels.

Re "over the top", no just stating the facts which any reviewer should do correctly. Had I not stated the facts quickly, potential sales to those who would be thinking of buying the book unseen via the internet or by mail order would be put off if they thought the book lacked a reasonable quota of green Peaks, and I had overlooked a green Peak with full yellow ends. No mention is made of the positive fact that there are shots in the book of green Peaks with extended yellow ends which are rare in colour too, was there?

As for my own views of the hobby, I speak forthrightly from a perspective that many on RM Web cannot perhaps see the hobby from thats all. Next time you are at a model railway show take a look around those who are responsible for everything that happens. I hope I am wrong as I have a large financial commitment to the hobby.

I see a similar predicament to the preserved railway scene as well. There are far too many folk pushing in the wrong directions and involved with petty infighting too often, rather than trying to work together and make some comprimises and take a reasonable and sensible approach to perhaps how things should be run. I hasten to add some railways, businesses and societies do manage to overcome these problems and will survive and prosper, whilst others will ultimately whither as they are no longer fun to be around.

So let me make it clear my glass really is half full, not half empty and if I were not trying see positive with everything I do and attempt to enjoy it all I would have given up a long while ago.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

My copy arrived a few days ago and I think it's well worth having.  Good spread of images across the whole life of the type.

But still, it seems, no photo has emerged of a 45 in green with full yellow ends.

There is a GFYE 46 image in the book - economy green version.

• RMweb Premium

I'd better get down and order myself a copy to see what all the fuss is about; especially as today I've just 'finished' 46045 for Prestatyn...

I do like the Peaks...oh, and 40's, and 24's & 5's, and well, you know...!

David

• RMweb Gold

My copy arrived a few days ago and I think it's well worth having.  Good spread of images across the whole life of the type.

But still, it seems, no photo has emerged of a 45 in green with full yellow ends.

There is a GFYE 46 image in the book - economy green version.

I do recall seeing a very poor instamatic print of a Class 45 in green with full yellow ends some years ago, sadly did not take a note of the loco number. I suspect the Class 45 only ran like this for a matter of a few weeks if that, but I keep hunting for rarer shots but not everyone who has interesting shots wants to see them in print, sadly.

Kevin

• 2 months later...

Archived