Hobby Shop in London?

CVSNE

I figured this would be the best place to ask this question.

My wife and I will be spending a few days in London in July. She suggested we might visit a hobby shop while we were there. Any suggestions on a good model railroad shop in London? We won't have a car (if that matters) but can use mass transit or take a taxi.

It doesn't have to be a shop that specializes in American trains (actually, I'd rather visit one that specializes in British models/supplies, etc...)

And, if it matters, she's a long-time dollhouse enthusiast so if there's a dollhouse miniatures shop anyone could recommend that would be great as well (she wanted to emphasize NOT a "doll" store... she likes the houses, furniture and the like, but doesn't do anything with dolls....)

Thanks in advance,

Marty

• RMweb Gold

Marty

Just be aware that 4D Models is actually an architectural supplies type place. A great place for picking up Preiser figures, styrene sheet adhesives, paints, trees etc but no rolling stock track etc.

Ian Alan is really a book store with a huge range of books and magazines on Railways planes buses etc but a limited amount of model railway items.

The other ones I have not visted for years so cant really comment.

Ian

I usually pop into Wheels of Steel when I'm in London, the descriptions on the UK Modelshops website are accurate. It is very close to the major department stores. The last time I went I was in a big hurry and was a bit disconcerted to find out they didn't take credit cards, they lost out on a sale as I didn't have time to find a hole in the wall. It is a fascinating shop though.

Avoid Hamleys at all costs, all they have is a limited selection of Hornby at massively inflated prices. Rather a pity as they used to be a lot better, I bought my first N gauge loco from them over twenty years ago.

• RMweb Gold

If you fancy a longer journey by train then you could go to Ford near the Coast by taking a train from London Victoria (about an hour and 25 minutes) to Gaugemaster which a is a large store right next yo Ford Station.

Www.gaugemaster.com

You could then visit the nearby picturesque town of Arundel with its cathedral and Castle although it's a little walk from Arundel station into town.

Ian

Leytonstone is still in London and the 'Engine shed' a short walk from the Central LIne station.

Keith

Great suggestion. I'll second that.  Good new and used stock and active modeller know-how in depth. Plus you get to ride the tube for a proper reason.

The William Morris Gallery (Walthamstow)  is probably within a bus ride or two of Leytonstone and may be of interest to your wife (Textile stuff and more). The Victoria and Albert Museum is in Central London and I always favoured the Science Museum in Kensington for seeing real and "real" models of locomotives and train infrastructure stuff.

Andy

Invicta is the best of the bunch. Also has a decent North American selection. Last few visits to Leytonstone have been very disappointing. Ian Allen is good for basic rtr. There is also Kent Garden Railways in Orpington.

Not strictly in London, but at the end of  a straightforward run from London Bridge is Masters of Epsom, within 100 yards of Tattenham Corner station.  An interesting collection of items in all scales, inc O gauge and both European and American N and HO, and lots of parts, tools and materials, and a selection of books.  The last time I went in they had a good stock of dolls' house items, although their website only mentions dolls and bears.  The owner is very helpful. The only problem is that they say they are under-going a re-fit at the moment, but I would have thought that by July they would be up and running again.

And of course, afterwards you can walk the course of the English Derby and explore the horse racing heritage of the area!

The Engine Shed, Leytonstone is closed - about 2 months ago - message from Chris Ellis (MTI)

I think Chris Ellis might soon be on the receiving end of a message from Dave Haswell, owner of The Engine Shed, Leytonstone, disabusing him of this notion.....

Can visit Northfields Model Shop a short (less than 5 minute) walk from Northfields tube station (Picadilly Line). The store is a bit of a mess, but if you're willing to have a bit of a dig there are some gems in there. Doesn't accept card but there is a free cash point in the Sainsbury's corner store that you'll pass to get to him 

There is also Jane's Trains in Tooting, right by Tooting Station (National Rail from Blackfriars).

Then there's Wheels of Steel in Gray's Antique Centre right behind Bond Street Station (Central and Jubilee lines, but Jubilee line will be closed to that station when you arrive). They don't accept card so take cash. There is a cash point in the Bond Street station. 

My personal experience of the Engine Shed in Leytonstone is that they are EXTREMELY helpful, going well above the call of duty. But their model shop isn't very well stocked and if you're after something I would certainly call first. 

Masters of Epsom is another good call, but they are a bit of a mission to get to. 

Avoid Hamley's and Harrods like the plague - Hornby only, overpriced and small selection. Ian Allen is right by Waterloo station but their selection is small. 

Enjoy your visit. 

Thanks for the suggestions to all.

Couple of questions -

A "cash point" is an ATM, right?

For obvious reasons I have no interest in finding a store with American trains in London or Paris - I have much better access to all that stuff here.

Is there any of these shops were I'd be able to purchase an Irish locomotive (preferably steam) of some sort? It doesn't have to be horribly accurate as it would be a gift for my dad.

From my point of view, I'd like to find a store that has some of the more unusual (to us in the States) etched brass kits/books (Wild Swan and the like) etc... that we simply don't see over here.

Or do I have to plan a return trip in conjunction with a show to find these items?

Sorry if these questions seem so basic!

Just for wheels of steel, its not in the building you think. Theres grays antiques and then a bit down the street youll find the grays market. The unit is all the way in the back on the second? floor. Couldnt find it at first when I went.

You want paris as well? Just in luck! I was recently in paris and stumbled on a hobby shop.

Les Cheminots, 51 Rue de Douai, 75009, Paris

A rather nice store, i believe only cash. The owner does speak a bit of English as well. Big selection of french, some german I believe, some British, some American, and lots of 1:87th cars. Not sure on Irish though. You would be able to spot it if they had. The shop is just down the road from the Moulin Rouge and is across the street from a nice cafe. If youre in the area and would like an amazing salad, I would recommend it.

• RMweb Gold

Cash point is an ATM.

For books, Ian Allen is probably your best bet - they stock other publishers books aswell as theirs.

For kits I cant think of anyone in a reasonable distance that will have them .

Irish steam - I dont think there is any ready to run model available and certainly hard to find any where in the South East UK. Murpheys Models have produced ready to run Irish coaches and diesels though but again will be hard to find in a store.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Not strictly in London, but at the end of  a straightforward run from London Bridge is Masters of Epsom, within 100 yards of Tattenham Corner station.  An interesting collection of items in all scales, inc O gauge and both European and American N and HO, and lots of parts, tools and materials, and a selection of books.  The last time I went in they had a good stock of dolls' house items, although their website only mentions dolls and bears.  The owner is very helpful. The only problem is that they say they are under-going a re-fit at the moment, but I would have thought that by July they would be up and running again.

And of course, afterwards you can walk the course of the English Derby and explore the horse racing heritage of the area!

I popped in last week and they are still open during the refit.

Archived