RMweb

GW / BR station layout diagrams

brianusa

• RMweb Premium

Is there such a thing as I am looking for?  Not the Track Map books but rather official railway station layouts.  Any ideas appreciated.

Brian.

Oxford Publishing Co produced at least 2 books of Great Western Station plans and details 

Volume 1

Volume 2

I have them somewhere in my loft.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

There are four in that range all very good

After Volume 2 looked like similar plans to volume 1, I gave up buying the series..............

(Dons tin hat.......) :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

If you go on Swindon's other railway site,there are on there all the station map drawings GWR did on the take over of the MSWJR.

The Q

If you're after layout diagrams, then there's the occasional series of 'Track Layout Diagrams of the Great Western Railway and BR Western Region' by R A Cooke. They're not to scale but, for me, their greatest feature is how they show the evolution of layouts over a long period time for a given area.

http://lightmoor.co.uk/category.php?&section=Track%20Plans should give an idea of what's available. They tend to be done as short runs, so I pick them up whenever I can.

• RMweb Premium

If you're after layout diagrams, then there's the occasional series of 'Track Layout Diagrams of the Great Western Railway and BR Western Region' by R A Cooke. They're not to scale but, for me, their greatest feature is how they show the evolution of layouts over a long period time for a given area.

http://lightmoor.co.uk/category.php?&section=Track%20Plans should give an idea of what's available. They tend to be done as short runs, so I pick them up whenever I can.

I would second these. I have picked up a complete set for the GWR / WR to Taunton via ebay. Not cheap but well worth it as they also give the track variations over the years. 

• RMweb Premium

I was blissfully unaware of this series of publications so thanks for enlightening me as to thier existance :)

There are also some very similar ones that show all the signalling. These are much harder to find. 

• RMweb Premium

I did manage to get a GWR 40 ft plan of a station I was interested but that was years ago. I can't remember the source and don't know if they can still be obtained.

The various line societies may well have such things in their archives.

In addition to the books mentioned in earlier replies, track diagrams can be found on www.old-maps.co .uk

For most locations there are several editions from approx 1880 , 1900, 1921, 1938, 1955, 1974. But some locations only have the earliest before some lines were built, and the latest after they were dismantled!. The maps show track layout (except under overall roofs), station buildings, signal boxes and signal locations.

Another good source of information is aerial photos on www.britainfromabove.org.uk.

But if you want a specific location, ask on this forum and someone is bound to know

Archived